Bobby Ryan (Like A Timex Watch?)

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Personally, I believe expecting a player to be productive as well as consistently productive in the context of an 82 game schedule is ridiculous.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I didn't say that. Take a 3-game streak for what it's worth. Just trying to be balanced here folks!

I'm not questioning this at all, and I am sure your goal is to be balanced. I was just wondering how 3 games without a goal is more balanced the 4 without a goal. When I don't understand something I just ask, because there may be some standard out there that I am not aware of or some logic that went over my head.

I'm just a curious guy, and I did not get your reasoning. Nothing more than that.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I'm not questioning this at all, and I am sure your goal is to be balanced. I was just wondering how 3 games without a goal is more balanced the 4 without a goal. When I don't understand something I just ask, because there may be some standard out there that I am not aware of or some logic that went over my head.

I'm just a curious guy, and I did not get your reasoning. Nothing more than that.

I would have put boxes around every streak that is at least 3 games long. If you don't make that distinction in comparing goal scorers, little will separate a 30 goal guy from a 50 goal guy according to SensZen's method of categorizing.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think he has a 40 goal scorer in him. Can't point out exactly what he has to do to get there, though I have some suggestions.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I didn't mean anything personal by it.

I didn't say that. Take a 3-game streak for what it's worth. Just trying to be balanced here folks!

I chose to compare Ryan to the top 4 goal-scorers in the league not because I think he needs to be among that rank, but to illustrate that the best go through stretches where the puck doesn't go in for them. That's all.

I think some Sens fans get tunnel-vision when it comes to our players, and don't know what's going on around them.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Ryan isn't exactly being held back by Turris. He's a great playmaker.IMO, Ryan is a tier below the other guys he's being compared to.

Agreed, that's why I said "teams" instead of specific players/line mates. What I meant is it's easier for opposing teams' top D pairing to focus on the Turris line versus dealing with a team that has Crosby on one line and Malkin on the other for example :)

And for sure a Tier below, I think the point of that was to demonstrate how even the best players go through these types of streaks.

I think he has a 40 goal scorer in him. Can't point out exactly what he has to do to get there, though I have some suggestions.

Score more goals? :P

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
I've seen his name pop up in so many trade rumours recently. Is there anybody here who actually wants to trade him?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Trading Ryan would be a huge mistake.
A) we just got him
B) we gave up a lot to get him
C) he works hard every game
D) everyone in the lockerroom loves him
E) even with a 4 game slump, he is still our top goal scorer.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's better if we plan on re-signing Ryan that he is not a PPG player this year with 45 goals. His agent will have a bit less negotiating power.

Caps going up... He's going to get 7.5-8.0

If we don't pay it, someone else will

If Ryan is worth that much, why did you (and others) keep insisting that we paid too much to get him? Silfverberg (could be a good 2nd liner) and two mid/late firsts is not worth a guy making 8 millions a year? In what world?

I'm still surprised people that watch hockey have not figured out yet that pretty much every hockey player has hot and cold streaks. It happens all the time. He's playing well, he'll get the goals. No need to panic.

My rational explication is : a lot of young people usually have a very short time memory, only remember the last few days (and even then) and only think about today and tomorrow (at best). Maybe it's the same for very old people when the brain starts to slow down. I dunno, I know a lot more about teens (work with them) than I do for old people

HF is really a "what have you done for me lately" mentality

So many things are talked on HF like it is really "something", but in fact, it's just "normal reality" when you look at the big picture.

IMO, Ryan is a tier below the other guys he's being compared to.

Bobby Ryan is not a generational talent and shouldn't be compared to Crosby and Malkin. But that wasn't the point of Senszen anyway

Last edited:

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
My rational explication is : a lot of young people usually have a very short time memory, only remember the last few days (and even then) and only think about today and tomorrow (at best). Maybe it's the same for very old people when the brain starts to slow down. I dunno, I know a lot more about teens (work with them) than I do for old people

I think it's pretty clear that a good portion of this fanbase likes to live in the past, for some reason (and our recent past is not that glorious, Ottawa hasn't won a Cup since 1927)... Do we want to be Habs fans? That's basically the reason why I could never become a fan of that team with their "hey we got 24 Cups" (ya but most were won in a regional league with 6 teams)

Alfie has been my favorite player from 1997 (and the reason why I became a Sens fan) to 2013. I have moved on already and wouldn't even take him back next year as a UFA

Life is a lot of management, you can't afford to get stucked in the past, particularly for entertainments such as hockey.

Our fans like to live in the past, but have a memory that only goes back for a few days? Interesting. :sarcasm:;)

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
I've seen his name pop up in so many trade rumours recently. Is there anybody here who actually wants to trade him?

I have not seem his name pop up in a single trade rumor. I have, however, seen his name pop up in trade scenarios that random posters have pulled out of a hat. Those do not necessarily correspond to any sort of reality. The majority of made up trade scenarios you see will fall along the lines of "lets trade this player I do not personally like or costs too much in our budget" for "this player that I personally like."

Ryan will not be traded anywhere this season. That may change next year, depending on how contract negotiations are going, but I still doubt he is going anywhere. I believe the team is more likely to build around Turris/MacArthur/Ryan in the forward position, at least in the 5 year window.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I thought he played one of his worst games last night. Slow. Slow to the puck. Slow to cover, looked disinterested.

Hope he snaps out of it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Our fans like to live in the past, but have a memory that only goes back for a few days? Interesting. :sarcasm:;)

lol yeah, worded it poorly, happens once in a while since English is far from my first language, it's actually going to be my 3rd soon enough

I'm generalizing, both groups are not mutually exclusive. So? Do you agree? Younger fans tend to have more of a "what have you done lately" mentality and older ones might live a bit in the past? Again, it really doesn't include everyone, of course, just a social tendency. If not, then I really don't know how to explain this.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
lol yeah, worded it poorly, happens once in a while since English is far from my first language, it's actually going to be my 3rd soon enough

I'm generalizing, both groups are not mutually exclusive. So? Do you agree? Younger fans tend to have more of a "what have you done lately" mentality and older ones might live a bit in the past? Again, it really doesn't include everyone, of course, just a social tendency. If not, then I really don't know how to explain this.

I think it may be more accurate to say that all people have a view of reality, and some people more willing to shape what they are see to fit that reality than let reality challenge their beliefs. It would explain a lot both on and off hockey message boards.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010

I hear ya, my opinion is mixed between you and SteffanW, with me leaning more towards that its more based on people and their perspectives. Could be age related, but not necessarily :)

Can also be how you label it. Short-term memory can also perhaps be labeled as adaptive (moving on quicker from Alfredsson for example). People realize the "reality" of the situation and move on :P

The main point for me was just to joke with ya though :laugh:

John Holmes*

and tomorrow he'll score two and everything will be forgotten.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ryan has been great since the trade & like most scorers seems to go in streaks. I do think there may be a bit of a fitness issue with him, at times he looks tired out there. I think next yr he will be in even better shape to keep up especially playing with his speedy linemates who have also been great this yr. :handclap:

TristanH

Apr 22, 2012
Ottawa
Zero concern about Ryan... slumps happen to the best of them. Macarthur got back on a role after Karlsson fed him that empty net goal... It's just the way it goes.

Ryan was directly responsible for Turris' goal last night. He did the job of making sure the goalie couldn't see the puck. Sure Turris shot the puck and got the goal.. but Ryan's work goes un-noticed on the scoresheet.

These guys are human.. he gets dragged through the mud a little with Burke's comments... Ryan gets on the ice making his best effort to try and prove to people he is "intense" and deserves to be on the team... but then is probably overthinking his game and not playing loose.

The great thing right now.... we are getting contributions from a LOT of players.. Who expected Condra to score that goal last night? ... Ryan can afford to have a few off games because the rest of the team is performing.

I'm excited to see what this team can do.... With how the lines are setup and the way the team is playing.. Ottawa is a much tougher team to come up against.

The Fuhr*

If Ryan is worth that much, why did you (and others) keep insisting that we paid too much to get him? Silfverberg (could be a good 2nd liner) and two mid/late firsts is not worth a guy making 8 millions a year? In what world?

It's been about his UFA status with me... If we sign him then it becomes a good deal.

If he walks that's brutal

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
It's been about his UFA status with me... If we sign him then it becomes a good deal.

If he walks that's brutal

I think I've made this point before, but there is a third option. We can sign him, and if things change we can trade him after that. Signing him at anywhere from 6X7 to 8X8 does not necessarily mean he will be here for that long.

BlazingRoy

Cacaw
Dec 8, 2010
I thought he played one of his worst games last night. Slow. Slow to the puck. Slow to cover, looked disinterested.

Hope he snaps out of it.

He is not the fastest guy I think we've all seen that by now.

But he plays smart a lot, knows where to be and will make his move when there is an opportunity. The way he plays sometimes makes him appear to be disinterested, lazy and ... not intense. But he hasn't been playing bad, at worst hes pulling his weight on that line when he's not scoring, and he still gets assists. You don't have to be flying around the ice to be playing well, and the Olympic thing is probably still bothering him as well as him being unlucky.

I feel like he played fine last night and he is a reason were winning, doing little things

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
we traded for a 30/30 guy we got a 30/30 guy. I don't expect more from him, and I am happy it's not less

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
we traded for a 30/30 guy we got a 30/30 guy. I don't expect more from him, and I am happy it's not less

Yikes, I'd be disappointed if that's all he becomes, tbh. We traded for a 30/30+ guy in Anaheim as their 2nd or 3rd best winger. He definitely can and should be more.

I believe he will crack 35/35 this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad