Value of: Bobby Ryan In A Four Way

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What is the value of 30M over four years? I'd start by asking that question.

That's the problem that initially lead this alternative as a solution. I think it would be nearly impossible to dump 30M (7.25M cap/7.5M salary x 4 seasons). A bad contract that large has never been moved before.

It's why if the Senators are already going to trade Karlsson, bundling Ryan with him might not have been as bad of an idea as a lot of Senators fans (myself originally too) took it as. The sentiment of the entire thing stinks because it's just a further slap in the face reminding Senators fans what reality this team has to compete in, but from a strategic standpoint I as a fan don't think it's as foolish as most other Sens fans think it is just because the value added by dumping Ryan's contract is huge.

A four way trade is obviously way too convoluted to pull off in theory. But it's fun to discuss the value of the whole thing and figure the puzzle out since this is HFBoards where anything can happen.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Vancouver may be willing to take a cap dump, but i dont see the owner paying 29 million dollars for a late 1st
even if they retain half and just dump ryan off, thats 14.5 million for a late 1st. according to tsn's data, a pick in that range has about a 20% chance of developing into a useful NHL piece (top6 F/top4D/1G)
would you pay 14.5 million for a 20% shot ?

While I admittedly think a 1st+3rd as outlined in the OP is potentially low, what would you think an owner/GM would want as compensation for 15 million dollars spread out over four years?

Keep in mind, VAN has stated they are open for business in terms of taking on bad contracts for assets. So they are at the very least in a mindset where they have the go ahead to "purchase" assets like picks or prospects.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Bobby Ryan at 59% does not have negative value.

A team does not retain $14M over 4 yrs...only Ottawa can do that....no one else would do that as a pass thru

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
While I admittedly think a 1st+3rd as outlined in the OP is potentially low, what would you think an owner/GM would want as compensation for 15 million dollars spread out over four years?

Keep in mind, VAN has stated they are open for business in terms of taking on bad contracts for assets. So they are at the very least in a mindset where they have the go ahead to "purchase" assets like picks or prospects.

I wouldnt be able to tell you

maybe a rich team that isnt close to the cap would take it on for that pick + a top prospect like Logan Brown.(ryan with no retention)
The sens could really have less leverage with opposing gms knowing they need to clear spac for Karlssons next 10+ mil contract

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Bobby Ryan at 59% does not have negative value.

A team does not retain $14M over 4 yrs...only Ottawa can do that....no one else would do that as a pass thru

so Bobby ryan at about 4.3 x 4 years has value? he has 24g/58pts total the last 2 seasons

I still think ottawa needs to sweeten the pot. 4.3 x 1 or 2 maybe they get away with...4 more years if he continues to decline? ouch

Feb 24, 2017
He could probably make it happen for about a thousand bucks if he didn’t want em clinging on after. Through an agency.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Philly doesn't have a 3rd this year.

...looks like I wrote this whole post for nothing. Mods can you please delete this post and ban me from the internet.

OP is just an outline of how the trade would be structured. Other than the 22nd, I deliberately did not assign years to the picks since I wasn't going to double check to make sure everybody had a 2nd/3rd/7th/etc when it was just meant to be used as an illustration of the potential trade structure.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
...looks like I wrote this whole post for nothing. Mods can you please delete this post and ban me from the internet.

OP is just an outline of how the trade would be structured. Other than the 22nd, I deliberately did not assign years to the picks since I wasn't going to double check to make sure everybody had a 2nd/3rd/7th/etc when it was just meant to be used as an illustration of the potential trade structure.
I was just pointing it out. You don't have to be a d***. Go back to bed. You're cranky.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
There is no scenario where 50% of Ryan's salary is retained twice and Ottawa is not one of the teams retaining salary.

Are you saying that you think no team would take 3.625M x 4 years of dead cap (as outlined in the OP example) in exchange for assets? If not, what do you think would be the cost for a team to take on that much dead cap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad