News Article: Bobby Orr: Howe the Greatest Ever, and today's game is Dangerous

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
On the day he was honored with his own stamp, the man many hockey fans feel was the greatest player of all-time gave his stamp of approval for that designation to Gordie Howe. Bobby Orr threw his support behind Mr. Hockey in the never-ending debate concerning the greatest player ever to play the greatest game. “Gordie is, in my mind, the greatest ever,†said Orr, who recently penned the foreword for Howe’s memoir, Mr. Hockey. “His numbers are outrageous and most of that was with the six teams, when it was a lot tougher. I don’t think there’s any question. Play any way you want to play…he was special.†That word, along with spectacular, otherworldly and dominant, could be used to describe Orr himself. More than 35 years after Orr played his last NHL game, he is still the standard bearer, if not for all players then certainly for defensemen. At 66 years old, Orr still looks youthful, aside from the fact that his two knee replacements give him a noticeable limp.

One name Orr refuses to inject into the conversation is his own. “I don’t talk to anybody about ratings,†he said. “I just don’t think about it because it’s not important to me. When I played, I didn’t need anybody to tell me that I played terribly or I played well. I could look in the mirror and I knew what I was doing. I knew if I played well and I knew if I played poorly. I didn’t need to read about it or talk about it.â€

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/b...ls-game-today-dangerous/#.VC6jINFkphU.twitter

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I love everything about Bobby Orr. I am glad I got to watch him even though I was a bit young to fully appreciate it at the time.

Bobby Orr stamp.jpg

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
On the day he was honored with his own stamp, the man many hockey fans feel was the greatest player of all-time gave his stamp of approval for that designation to Gordie Howe. Bobby Orr threw his support behind Mr. Hockey in the never-ending debate concerning the greatest player ever to play the greatest game. “Gordie is, in my mind, the greatest ever,†said Orr, who recently penned the foreword for Howe’s memoir, Mr. Hockey. “His numbers are outrageous and most of that was with the six teams, when it was a lot tougher. I don’t think there’s any question. Play any way you want to play…he was special.†That word, along with spectacular, otherworldly and dominant, could be used to describe Orr himself. More than 35 years after Orr played his last NHL game, he is still the standard bearer, if not for all players then certainly for defensemen. At 66 years old, Orr still looks youthful, aside from the fact that his two knee replacements give him a noticeable limp.

One name Orr refuses to inject into the conversation is his own. “I don’t talk to anybody about ratings,†he said. “I just don’t think about it because it’s not important to me. When I played, I didn’t need anybody to tell me that I played terribly or I played well. I could look in the mirror and I knew what I was doing. I knew if I played well and I knew if I played poorly. I didn’t need to read about it or talk about it.â€

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/b...ls-game-today-dangerous/#.VC6jINFkphU.twitter

Feel.........so.............old....right.....now.

And with all due respect to a man to humble to say he is the greatest ever, he was and always will be.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Orr seriously looks like he could still play, the guy doesn't age!

Seriously though, i'm 24 years old and one of the things on my bucket list is to shake Bobby Orr's hand. I'll die happy...

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Orr has to be one of the most humble men to play hockey and sports in general.

If only more of today's athletes would emulate him.

There is likely room for debate on the greatest player ever but it's certain Orr's name is in the mix.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Orr has to be one of the most humble men to play hockey and sports in general.

If only more of today's athletes would emulate him.

There is likely room for debate on the greatest player ever but it's certain Orr's name is in the mix.

I hate the idea that athletes are somehow supposed to be role models for kids. Many are just not equipped mentally or character wise to set any kind of standard the average person would want their kids to emulate.

HOWEVER -- how truly lucky have we been in Boston to have players like #4, #77, and #8? Classy, talented, humble and such huge contributors to those who are less fortunate or need a hand in life.

Yes, not all athletes are role models, but Bobby Orr sure as hell is!:handclap:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Gold 'N Black don't crack!

Last edited:

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I was born in '79 so I missed Bobby. I watch old clips but it doesn't feel the same and I will probably never truly be able to appreciate how good he was. When it comes to the debate about the greatest ever, I defer to those who were able to watch guys like Orr and Howe and most of the ones I have seen and heard say it's Orr. My father in law loves the Habs more than anybody I have ever met love any team and even he is willing to give the honour to Bobby Orr.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I was born in '79 so I missed Bobby. I watch old clips but it doesn't feel the same and I will probably never truly be able to appreciate how good he was. When it comes to the debate about the greatest ever, I defer to those who were able to watch guys like Orr and Howe and most of the ones I have seen and heard say it's Orr. My father in law loves the Habs more than anybody I have ever met love any team and even he is willing to give the honour to Bobby Orr.

I was born in '82. I missed it as well.

BUT, I've gone back and watched entire games from the era. Big wins, playoff battles, embarrassing losses... You're right when you say clips don't tell the story. They don't. They're impressive no doubt, but what's really astounding is how dominant Bobby Orr was at every facet of the game. Skated circles around everyone. Unreal vision. Almost a reckless fearlessness when it came to sticking up for his teammates. The energy he had... From the untrained eye, it would look as though he played more minutes than anyone else on the ice and STILL be a man among boys to the final buzzer. I guess the only

I had accepted that Gretzky was the greatest player ever up until I was maybe about 25 and I got to watch these games. Got to see Gretz play while I was growing up and his numbers are astronomical. Always thought that Orr was awesome, but overrated for the idea that he "changed the way a defenseman plays the game."

I've seen somewhere around 15 old games from Orr era. Of varying consequence. Occasionally with tears brought to my eyes. I don't understand how ANYONE who saw both him and 99 play would pick the Oiler. A whole other plane of existence - he was everything.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He ruined me for anyone after. I was 7 when he joined the Bs,10 when he flew through the air,12 when he won the second SC and 17 when he left. When Bourque came I couldn't help thinking,this is it,this is the next best thing. Imagine Ray Bourque being a disappointment. Only to a kid brought up on Bobby Orr!

rickizbruin

Feb 7, 2010
ONTARIO
Was lucky enough to meet him twice and get him to sign stuff for me. have a picture of "the goal" signed to me. Those lucky enough to spend even a few seconds in the mans company know what a gentleman he is.
And today got the stamps. :) he is still the greatest ever.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Orr was great, everybody knows it, but this is ancient history.
The Bruins underachieved as a team during his era.

Orr was the main reason the Bruins lost the infamous 7-5 game to the Habs in the 1971 playoffs -- he was on the ice for all 7 goals, and he gave virtually no effort defensively.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Orr was the main reason the Bruins lost the infamous 7-5 game to the Habs in the 1971 playoffs -- he was on the ice for all 7 goals, and he gave virtually no effort defensively.

did you see the game:laugh:...I always thought you were younger than say 50 or about the age needed to remember that game

Eddie Johnston being beat on a blue line slapper that my daughter's teams goalie would have stopped is my lasting memory of that game

so if he gave virtually no effort you saw it.....funny, but I never thought you were me and Wally's age

you are right on about the underachievement part- winning only 2 Cups with that talent is a joke. They made bad trades, raised to much hell, bad coaching by Tom Johnson- Sinden would have got 4 or 5 Cups out of them is what I always believed

Eagleson orchestrated a horrible deal where Boston traded there best prospect Rick MacLeish for a good but head case in Mike Walton, who had a camp with Orr. Ugh....just brutal. Boston with the third and fourth picks in 1971 I believe drafted Leach and MacLeash and got the short end of deals that could have had that team kicking ass till Gretzky showed up

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
I've met Mr. Orr a couple of times, the last being when I was an intern at a TV station. He filmed a segment for the show, then I got to hang out in the studio just listening to him talk about the game and tell stories. One of the absolute coolest experiences of my life.

Just an absolute gentleman, and a fantastic ambassador for the game. So glad he wore the "B"

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

This would have been so conflicted with any game he ever played that I consider it preposterous. I believe I've watched every Bruins game he ever played and I've never seen an effort even close to what you report.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
Born in '63 I caught the Orr era at an impressionable age. How lucky we are to have an icon maintain such a honorable and distinguished life into our later years.

To the sport's credit, be it its humbling team concept, demanding work ethic, or long learning curve, it rarely produces great players who aren't of excellent character.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
glad Kytem2 brought that game up because it has always been the one of the two games as a Bruins fan that always haunts me (the other is the too-many-men game)

it never had to happen but what is interesting is, last season in March or maybe the playoffs a bunch of us were walking out after going to Legends (my bud has the account and I am lucky enough to be always invited); Alicat was with our group and as we are milling around ready to go out into the night, the elevator opens and out walks Harry Sinden. He's 80 now, and is by himself, and everyone kind of looks over, he says nothing and glances over, somewhat of a half smile and then heads to the underground garage to get his car.

At that moment game 2 pops in my head- this 7-5 loss. Harry had left coaching after the Cup to sell believe it or not housing improvements or some bull **** over a salary dispute. Tom Johnson took over and was like the great old uncle who you could run all over. He started EJ in the net that game, when arguably the best goalie in the game at the time Cheevers sat on the bench. I wanted to run over and ask Harry, why? explain this so I understand and not feel you are sticking up for your since passed friend Tom Johnson.

Boston had a 5-1 lead late in the second and EJ let in one of the single worst goals I have ever seen that was not some fluky dump in that took an awkward bounce. It was a 1 in 1,000,000 shot in todays game. I see it like it was yesterday.

That started it, and for some reason the Bruins in the third never got the concept to play defense......worst coaching job ever.

if I am wrong I welcome it- I'm sure Mick will see this and let me know.

In life you play with the hand you are dealt and Bobby Orr played with that equipment under those rules, with those players. He was the single most dominant player in a team sport I have ever seen. There were guys close to Michael Jordan if not his equal- there was no one close to Orr.

Would he be that good now? would Babe Ruth dominate today? Jim Brown? Bill Russell? would better equipment and training help them maintain the high standards. Bar room argument stuff. What I do know is he transcended the game and was so far the best, Fred Shero is claimed to have once said to his great Flyers during intermission 'if you want to watch Orr, buy a ticket'.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Every time Orr is brought up, you use this same old shtick about this one game, just to get people riled up. You need some new material, or at least list another game in which Bobby Orr was slightly less than a God amongst men.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Every time Orr is brought up, you use this same old shtick about this one game, just to get people riled up. You need some new material, or at least list another game in which Bobby Orr was slightly less than a God amongst men.

In his regular season career, the Bruins were +760 with Orr on the ice and +3 with him off the ice.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
In his regular season career, the Bruins were +760 with Orr on the ice and +3 with him off the ice.

He also went the entire '72 playoffs never getting a minus. Not one goal scored against while he was on the ice ES or PP.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad