Bobby Orr highlight video. More than 3 hours of footage.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
wow.

People should save those videos, they're golden.

Last edited:

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for sharing. I have the NESN documentaries on the 1969-70 and 1971-72 Boston Cup winning seasons in my DVD collection, but it would be nice if NESN were to do similar documentaries of the other seasons of the Orr/Esposito years so we could get to see more colour highlights of teams and characters of that era.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Get to see the one thing Orr didn't seem able to do on the ice: celebrate. On many of the earliest goals he actually appears to be ashamed of embarrassing the opponents.

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Get to see the one thing Orr didn't seem able to do on the ice: celebrate. On many of the earliest goals he actually appears to be ashamed of embarrassing the opponents.

I remember reading in his first book (written in 1983) Don Cherry discussing this. One goal you will see often in any Bobby Orr highlight reel is him skating through the entire Atlanta Flames team and going around the net and putting the puck in. Grapes was coach of the Bruins at the time and he remembered Bobby just putting his head down right afterwards feeling like he embarrassed the Flames team with the way he scored that goal.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Thanks, Batis. Super collection here, I've already spent a morning thoroughly enjoying the "Orr Show."

What continues to amaze my about him is not how fast he was but how he could change speeds so easily. He had a 6 speed transmission when everyone else played with a 3 speed.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Thanks, Batis. Super collection here, I've already spent a morning thoroughly enjoying the "Orr Show."

What continues to amaze my about him is not how fast he was but how he could change speeds so easily. He had a 6 speed transmission when everyone else played with a 3 speed.

Good point.

And he could do it with or without the puck. Many of his goals are scored when he just takes off suddenly and the puck carrier hits him with a pass when he's at high speed. Talk about no chance for 1970's defensemen.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Most goalies look bad when you show videos of them allowing goals. 40 years from now guys like Price, Luongo and Lundqvist will look bad when showing an Ovechkin highlight reel.

Not really.

Today's goalies are huge, and have huge equipment, and rarely allow a goal if they actually see the puck.

Orr was great, sure , but most of his goals would have just gone down as routine scoring chances in today's game.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Does anyone know how many complete Bobby Orr games are still in existence today?

I have the games from the 76 Canada Cup dvd, and the games from the '74 final against Philadelphia on the Flyers dvd. And there's a game against Toronto from 1969 on youtube.

Are there any others that have survived? Seeing all these highlights makes me wonder if the complete games they came from might pop up on youtube someday

Shakeywalton

Jul 7, 2006
Not really.

Today's goalies are huge, and have huge equipment, and rarely allow a goal if they actually see the puck.

Orr was great, sure , but most of his goals would have just gone down as routine scoring chances in today's game.

Why do you feel the need to diminish the accomplishments of the greatest player off ALL-TIME? :shakehead

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not really.

Yeah, probably good for only 5 or 6 goals a seasons in today's game.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Not really.

So you should have said Bad Equipment 101.

Ever take a gander at the skates and sticks Orr used?

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Amazing that you found all this! Every Bobby highlight vid I've ever seen is the same 20 minutes over and over. I guess it's because these 3 hours don't only just show the goals. In any case thanks for the memories! :handclap:

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Not really.

You speak the truth and it hurts to admit it. I am a big fan of the old timer's in general and Bobby Orr in particular, but realistically, he would not dominate today's game like he did his own era, but might still be the best player most of the time?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Hardly. Couldnt disagree more.

You speak the truth and it hurts to admit it. I am a big fan of the old timer's in general and Bobby Orr in particular, but realistically, he would not dominate today's game like he did his own era, but might still be the best player most of the time?

Not my truth, not buying it for a second.... if all things are relative & Orr or Gretzky for that matter were lets say both born in 1975 , 1985 or 1995 and as all things are relative... developing contemporaneously to their peers just as they did during their formative years in the 50's, 60's & 70's but instead doing so in the 80's, 90's & 00's as the child prodigies they were, that potential then fully realized at the highest levels then it is only logical to project in both cases that they would dominate to the same extent that they did in their respective era's. These guys "saw", thought the game on a whole other level. They hit the ice like liquid mercury. Quicksilver. Impossible to contain then as now. And comparatively in looking into the future from now into the year's 2025, 2050 or 2100 same thing. Theyd both reinvent, totally dominate. Those kinds of gifts & talents transcendent of time, era, adaptable. Your dealing with freak genius strain's, like a Beethoven or Mozart, Tesla or Einstein. Very very rare.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Hardly. Couldnt disagree more.

Before Orr's first NHL season a total of 4 players scored 50 goals or more in one season in the history of the NHL.

During his 10 seasons with the Bruins, 24 players scored 50 goals or more in one season.

Yes Orr was great, but stats in that era are completely off the charts overrated.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Before Orr's first NHL season a total of 4 players scored 50 goals or more in one season in the history of the NHL.

During his 10 seasons with the Bruins, 24 players scored 50 goals or more in one season.

Yes Orr was great, but stats in that era are completely off the charts overrated.

That's a good argument against Vic Hatfield or Mickey Redmond, not Bobby Orr.

In Gretzky's first 3 seasons, there were 9, 8 and 10 fifty goal scorers. 27 in only 3 seasons. Does that mean he too would have trouble scoring in today's game?

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
That's a good argument against Vic Hatfield or Mickey Redmond, not Bobby Orr.

In Gretzky's first 3 seasons, there were 9, 8 and 10 fifty goal scorers. 27 in only 3 seasons. Does that mean he too would have trouble scoring in today's game?

Yes.

He would likely not have 215 points in a season since the ART ROSS trophy winner will likely have 90 points this season in an era where 3 on 3 overtime inflates scoring.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yes.

He would likely not have 215 points in a season since the ART ROSS trophy winner will likely have 90 points this season in an era where 3 on 3 overtime inflates scoring.

That's been pretty commonly accepted for many years now. The better question is if he would even be the best player.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This footage is amazing though, especially the earlier stuff. His skating was truly unbelievable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad