Boston Globe Bobby Orr Dec, 1976 -REPLAY

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bobby Orr in a Chicago sweater was painful to watch, in more ways than one - The Boston Globe

Editor’s note: The Globe is reaching into its archives to bring you “Replay,” articles from the past that highlight something interesting, timely, or revealing. This column by Ray Fitzgerald about injury-plagued Bobby Orr’s first season as a Blackhawk appeared on Sunday, Dec. 5, 1976, under the headline “A painful message.”

Is that all there is? Is what we saw on television out of Chicago the other night all that’s left of the wonder child who once lit up Causeway Street?

Fred Cusick kept telling me the man wearing No. 4 was Bobby Orr, so I guess it was. But the moves weren’t there. The man wearing No. 4 was just another Jean-Pierre Hockeypuck, a defensive defenseman giving an imitation of Don Awrey or Darryl Edestrand — and not a very good one at that.

This was the first time Orr had played against his old team, and it should have been high drama, with Orr giving the brothers Jacobs the back of his hand.

A few weeks ago, doctors did some mysterious things to Orr’s knee. They could have been mechanics discussing a ’59 Buick or a souped-up Camaro that had spent the last decade roaring back and forth across Baja, Calif.

“We’ve flushed it out and it ought to be good for a couple more years. There are only a certain number of miles left on it, but we’ve known that all along.”

They put the knee on their hydraulic lift, gave it a lube job, checked the points and plugs, changed the filter, tossed in some antifreeze and rotated the tires.

“Obviously the knee is permanently damaged,” said Dr. John Palmer. “If he wants to play so badly that he’s willing to put up with the aggravations and periodic idleness, then we’ll do whatever we can to help him carry on.”
Oh, that’s terrific, especially the part about permanent damage. As long as the knee’s a wreck to begin with, there’s no harm in going out for a good skate once in a while.

There are some who might be able to supply a forecast. Gale Sayers might have one. Watch Joe Namath, that limping theater of the absurd, for 10 minutes and you might get a glimpse into Orr’s future.

Yet, doesn’t this competitiveness work against all logic? Every athlete claims he’ll know when to quit, but few are able to resist the temptation to hang on.

Some persist strictly for money. But with Orr it would seem to be more than that. With him, the alternative — retirement at age 28 — is unthinkable and abhorrent to one whose life has been wrapped around a puck and a hockey stick.

Doctors know best, mother always said, but it seems to me they are doing Orr no favors by sending him back on the ice with a knee about as useful as a leaky roof.

Let go, Bobby. Let go while you can still walk down a flight of stairs without holding on to the rail.
upload_2020-12-12_21-51-33.jpeg

Reactions: aguineapig

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
My first Hockey memory was at the old Milford Mass rink watching Bobby and Bruins practice one morning
The second was watching them lose to Philly in 1974,I was 6 and inconsolable
Orr leaving in 76 was devastating to me,I still feel it
but the Bruins rolled on until getting embarrassed by a youthful Minnesota North Stars team in 1980,that's my official end of the Big Bad Bruins

Reactions: Fenian24

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
My first Hockey memory was at the old Milford Mass rink watching Bobby and Bruins practice one morning
The second was watching them lose to Philly in 1974,I was 6 and inconsolable
Orr leaving in 76 was devastating to me,I still feel it
but the Bruins rolled on until getting embarrassed by a youthful Minnesota North Stars team in 1980,that's my official end of the Big Bad Bruins

Minnesota beat Boston in 1981, NYI beat Boston
in 1980 beginning their dynasty.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I stand corrected, it was still devastating to watch

They began a re-tool in summer of 1979 drafting
Bourque, McCrimmon, Crowder and Krush.

I was hoping they would sign Ftorek and Mullen that summer but they didn't. They were still a top 5 team
in 1979-80 but the NYI were prepared to begin their
dynasty.

They finished the retool drafting Pedersen, Kasper, Fergus and Leveille by summer of 1981 with all
8 on the 1981-82 Bruins.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
His offensive game was far from intact. He couldn't rush the puck anymore. His passing and shot were still good.

Huh?
23 pts in 20 games in his first year with the Hawks was not bad.
Took a year off, came back although he knew he was done. As great as Bobby was he was not entirely great skating backwards. Espo use to tease him about it. His last year, he couldn't pivot. Guys were getting around him with not too much of a degree of difficulty. He was done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad