Boston Globe Bobby - My Story in Pictures

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bobby Orr has a new side of his story to tell — in photographs - The Boston Globe

The new book on Orr, the one that has had him touring Boston and the suburbs in recent days, is titled, “Bobby: My Story in Pictures.” You’ll find them stacked higher than Andre the Giant (he’s in the book) at your local bookstore.

It’s an intriguing, classic coffee table book, chock-full of pictures much of the hockey-loving world will treasure, most of them never before published.

In fact, until recently, even Orr hadn’t seen some of the shots. His oldest sister, Penny, had them tucked away among family keepsakes, the kind of treasures that too often dwell in the tattered shoeboxes and musty suitcases of attic archives. Seeing some of the old snapshots for the first time, particularly of his parents, was part of what convinced Orr to take them to print.

The book is a joy, particularly for Bruins fans, especially those steeped in all things Big, Bad Bruins — the era that began with Orr the man-child arriving here at age 18 in 1966 and shaking a hapless Original Six franchise by the scruff of its skate-laced collar.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bobby Orr, just out with his new coffee table book, “Bobby: My Life in Pictures,” is headed to a familiar spot — the operating room — later this month. The knees are fine (Orr: “A little stiff, but not bad”), but a recent trip to watch his grand-nephew play ball hockey left No. 4 flat on the ground, tripped up by some wires he hadn’t seen around a doormat. Dr. Peter Asnis, one of the Bruins’ team physicians, will patch up Orr’s rotator cuff and biceps tendon . . .

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It must be selling well as I ordered it along with Dale's book

giphy.gif

upload_2018-11-10_12-44-19.png

But I ordered Dale's book at the same time and this should arrive today

upload_2018-11-10_12-46-48.png

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It must be selling well as I ordered it along with Dale's book

giphy.gif

View attachment 153417

But I ordered Dale's book at the same time and this should arrive today

View attachment 153419
I got Dale's book via kindle. It was good, although I was hoping for a little more from the more recent teams. My favorite chapter was where they talked about all the community work the Bruins do. And McQuaid's 30th birthday party. :)

Reactions: Fenway

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Got the Orr book the day it released. I haven't gotten all the way through it, but so far I've enjoyed the book. It has more info than I thought it would given that it's a coffee table book. The whole vibe of the photos I get is that it's like looking through a family photo album. It's neat for a Bs or Orr fan to thumb through and read. I like that the book itself is made well and high quality.

Reactions: Fenway

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Love this photo of his dad. Didn’t realize how much they look alike.

Attachments

• 378E3775-4E91-497D-ADE7-480B9A9BF478.jpeg
    378E3775-4E91-497D-ADE7-480B9A9BF478.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 20

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bobby Orr, just out with his new coffee table book, “Bobby: My Life in Pictures,” is headed to a familiar spot — the operating room — later this month. The knees are fine (Orr: “A little stiff, but not bad”), but a recent trip to watch his grand-nephew play ball hockey left No. 4 flat on the ground, tripped up by some wires he hadn’t seen around a doormat. Dr. Peter Asnis, one of the Bruins’ team physicians, will patch up Orr’s rotator cuff and biceps tendon . . .

He missed modern knee surgery by only a few years. :cry:

James Walker

Sep 28, 2017
I turned to a random page in a book store on Sunday, the first thing I noticed was they did not spell Eddie Johnston's name correctly (Johnson). Weird.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have told this story before but it bears repeating.

1996 at a long-gone sports bar in Harvard Square, Cambridge.

Orr comes in with both of his sons for a burger. The World Cup of Hockey was on and the bar was well known for showing CBC and everyone in the bar EXCEPT his waitress knew who he was.

NOBODY approached him and he had his dinner with his sons in peace.

When the game was over, he settled his tab and started to walk out. Only then did the entire bar stand and gave him a standing ovation.

On October 1st there was a memorial service for Clark Booth in West Roxbury, Bobby was in attendance and he was also at Booth's funeral in Florida in August. When Don Earle died in 1993, Orr and Phil Esposito took care of the arrangements.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Kind of an odd book,I'm halfway through it in 40 minutes. Have only read 1 chapter of Dale's so far and I'm bored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad