Player Discussion Bobby McMann

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Carter was 6+ years into making an NHLer. That's not on Dubas. Even Isles gave up on him

Yeah the closer comparison to McMann would be Marchment. Trading a big scoring forward for a tweener type we already had a plethora of was ill-advised. Dubas did eventually correct this approach with the drafting of Knies and signing of McMann, but it was a real blind spot early on.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Yeah the closer comparison to McMann would be Marchment. Trading a big scoring forward for a tweener type we already had a plethora of was ill-advised. Dubas did eventually correct this approach with the drafting of Knies and signing of McMann, but it was a real blind spot early on.

To be fair though, even Marchment with the Leafs showed very little. That's on Keefe more than Dubas for not giving him a proper opportunity
Marchment with the Leafs,albeit, 4 games looked like he was skating on sand.

One of the flaw of Dubas was that we signed many of these 1 year contract veterans that we never gave our young guys a good look
Vessey, Boyd, Thornton, Gally, Simmonds, Marincin, took away a lot of playing times from playing some kids like Marchment and Lilly

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
Didn't Florida put Marchment through waivers at one point? That would mean that every team in the league missed on him *after* he left the Leafs. I know people find a lot to hang on the previous administration, but this one seems a bit of a stretch.

McMann's emergence this year must be giving every minor-league scrub hope. Can't help but pull for the late-bloomers.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
To be fair though, even Marchment with the Leafs showed very little. That's on Keefe more than Dubas for not giving him a proper opportunity

One of the flaw of Dubas was that we signed many of these 1 year contract veterans that we never gave our young guys a good look
Vessey, Boyd, Thornton, Gally, Simmonds, Marincin, took away a lot of playing times from playing some kids like Marchment and Lilly

We gave Marchment 4 games on the 4th line and decided he was not good for the NHL, despite showing flashes in the AHL. I agree that it was on the coaching staff

We had Moore for 50 games or so and never really put him in a position to succeed. You could see he had more to his game, but didn't get an extended look higher in the lineup. He was playing with Gauthier/Brown/Ennis/etc.

McMann would certainly not be in his current position without those last minute scratches for the St Louis game.

I hope it's a lesson learned for future guys getting called up from the AHL. If they have any offense to their game, they can't be stapled to the 4th line

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I would say Dubas and Keefe didn't have a great grasp on development timelines. The whole premise of auditioning Barabanov and Lehtonen, for example, in the middle of a pandemic and them promising to flip them if things didn't work out, after what, 13 and 9 NHL games? You're talking about an extremely fast moving train and unrealistic expectations for KHL adds.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
If he comes back, I think it should be at Pontus holmbergs expense. Don’t really see who else should come out for Mcmann

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If he comes back, I think it should be at Pontus holmbergs expense. Don’t really see who else should come out for Mcmann

Holmberg has played some good minutes as a center. Seems unlikely unless Jarnkrok or McMann himself start playing center.

He hasn't started skating so I'd be shocked if he played before Game 6 at the earliest. After that, we'll see.

Right now, Robertson and probably Knies are the first 2 out. Maybe Dewar but that 4th line has been buzzin so it's hard to see a change there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad