Bob Probert documentary

braddog

Apr 1, 2018
Looking forward to the movie, like that clip. Being a Wings fan from Windsor we took special pride in watching Probie strike fear in everyone in the league. Best combination of skill and toughness in the NHL in the late 80's. Him and Kocur made the wings the most feared team for years.

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
I've meet Probert many times as his parents use to live by me as a kid. Even a few times if he saw us playing street hockey he'd pull and play a little bit and than take off. He was a pretty nice guy and he did joke around once and we pretended to fight and let me win so I can say I am the only 10 year old to kick hiss butt :laugh:
But also remember times of him flying around the neighborhood drunk or high but he had a big heart tho.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Will be watching as soon as it is available. For those that can't wait i recommend picking up Probies book. Got a copy a few years ago will have to re-read with the documentary being made.

9781617493102_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Saw a preview for this during the Russian Five documentary. Sounds like it's going to have a lot to do with CTE and his drug problems (and my guess is the correlation between the two).

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
It's a good documentary, but very sad. The beginning has some neat notes about his career and some of his fights with Tie Domi, but most of it talks about his drug problems and his eventual passing. There are some neat vintage audio clips from his autobiography, so you get to hear about the man in his own words. Worth a watch, but don't expect it to leave you in a good mood.

Reactions: LazyT

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
A few months ago I contacted the producer/director and he said they were seeking US distribution. I broke down and had a friend download it for me. It's a good doc.

The Russian Five will be playing in Arizona mid-April. Tough Guy appears to be getting lost in the shuffle. Even in Canada it was on demand only. Hope it gets a proper release.

Reactions: hkydave04

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
A few months ago I contacted the producer/director and he said they were seeking US distribution. I broke down and had a friend download it for me. It's a good doc.

The Russian Five will be playing in Arizona mid-April. Tough Guy appears to be getting lost in the shuffle. Even in Canada it was on demand only. Hope it gets a proper release.

Like I said, when I watched the Russian Five doc a few days ago in a theater they played a trailer for this movie. I doubt they'd waste the money promoting it if they weren't planning on releasing it in theaters. I'd assume it'll get a similar limited distribution in and around Detroit and Chicago.

ProbertKocur

Feb 3, 2014
Detroit
I've meet Probert many times as his parents use to live by me as a kid. Even a few times if he saw us playing street hockey he'd pull and play a little bit and than take off. He was a pretty nice guy and he did joke around once and we pretended to fight and let me win so I can say I am the only 10 year old to kick hiss butt :laugh:
But also remember times of him flying around the neighborhood drunk or high but he had a big heart tho.

Easy to tell you’re lying in this post lol

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Some of the stories they hear are emotional moments, such as the one a fellow once shared with Tierney.
“I met this man who was 26 years sober because he was so inspired by my dad,” Tierney recalled. “It was just incredible to hear a story like that, to see how greatly he influenced others and his fans.” me

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's available for rental and purchase on iTunes and Amazon. I watched it last night.

It's a little all over the place but still a worthwhile watch. It brought back a lot of memories and some I either forgot or didn't know. Like the locker room turmoil after the drug bust at the border. I had no memory of Gilbert Delorme being so outspoken about it. Though even back then Yzerman comes across like a standup guy with his perspective on Probert's addcitions.

It's a sad story. And as someone who grew up loving the Bruise Brothers and was at a game where Kocur one-punched KO'd a guy, these days I have a hard time watching them endlessly bash each other in the head.

Reactions: Hughes Hefner

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Does anyone on here recall an old T-Shirt design from the Bruise Brothers hey-day that had Kocur and Probie getting their hockey sticks out of cello cases a la the old 40s gangster style tommy guns? I had that shirt as a kid and would love to still have it or get another one.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Very very dark, if you have a strong sense of empathy and you can feel for a person's problems its a difficult watch. I didn't know about his dad, put pressure on him his whole life to be super human and crumbled from a series of strokes dying a week before Probert left home for junior hockey you can kinda see the foundations on which his self destruction was built.

Its a good reminder if any of you are holding on to any shit its not a weakness to seek help, non of us are super human and none of us should feel we just gotta tough it out . Consider help it catches up with you.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Excellent watch. No one is superhuman. Really makes you take stock of the influence you have over the people around you. I’m 25 and a few of my friends have quit drinking over the past year or so.

The Russian Five doc made me tear up a few times. I was really young when that all happened, but god I can’t wait to watch a red and white sweater raise the cup again.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Does anyone on here recall an old T-Shirt design from the Bruise Brothers hey-day that had Kocur and Probie getting their hockey sticks out of cello cases a la the old 40s gangster style tommy guns? I had that shirt as a kid and would love to still have it or get another one.

I personally had the "Give Blood Fight Probie" shirt with a big red cross on it. Wore it until it was falling apart.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
Beautiful-Detroits-real-bad-boys-hockey.jpg

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I have been meaning to share this. Bob Probert was my last signature on this page. For a period of about 10 years I was watching the autograph circuit and was finding out about his signings only after they had already happened. I put an request out on a hockey forum for anyone that knew of a signing and like 2 years later someone responded he would be singing at a London Ontario resale shop. But they only found out a couple of hours before the event. I was trying to find the old thread to credit that awesome act of kindness but my user account is expired on that site.

I had to ditch out of work get home to get the newspaper and then get over to London Ontario. He was very friendly and completely taken back that someone would drive all that way. He really liked the piece and told me he still had that photo of him Yzerman and Fedorov hanging in his basement. He barely remembered Fedorov lol he described him as "oh yeah, that little russian guy"

This would have been about 5 years before he died. As I watched the documentary I was trying to place what phase of his life I met him in and seems like this would have been more the sober turned it around family guy Probert. Really glad I got the opportunity to meet him.

DSCN1385.JPG

20131130_085500.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad