Bob Nicholson

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I recall reading that Bob Nicholson did a "top-down" and "bottom-up" analysis of the entire organisation when he was hired; and he would be able to pin point the Oilers problem areas and address them.

Isn't he to blame if the Oilers have not made any significant progress? Was his analysis incorrect?

DelusionOIL

Jul 10, 2008
Morinville
www.ibew424.net
Yeah I am starting to think that success in international hockey where our Canadian teams are usually staked doesn't necessarily translate to NHL success. ..

We will see though, I think it is smart not to have a knee jerk reaction to this season's utter failure. But I am but a simple man, and was a supporter of Chia, but I can't ignore the results of his body of work. I tried and tried to see the light on many of his moves and what he was trying to do, but a lot of them never felt correct, and regardless, in his position fair or not, you should be judged on results and his choices seem to be failing time and time again.

I'd definitely be looking at removing him FAR before I get rid of TMAC..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bob Nicholson, in charge of being a fatcat earning a salary and chumming with Gretzky in premium boxes around the league grinning that I got it made and don't ever have to do a darned thing look. Even got a 20buck burger named after me. You want fries with that, screw that, empty your pockets, that's 5 more bucks. Want a coke, 8bucks. Hey, stop being entitled, you're getting premium hockey and a premium toasted bun with that..people are starving the world, so don't complain about your petty first world problems...just smile and like getting robbed. Look at me, Bob Nicholson, I'm smiling all day whenever the camera is on.

Him and Gretz just laughing and good cheer as the Oilers get stomped all over the rink in Dallas. Thankfully you couldn't spot them in the madhouse. You can spot them on payday though.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I recall reading that Bob Nicholson did a "top-down" and "bottom-up" analysis of the entire organisation when he was hired; and he would be able to pin point the Oilers problem areas and address them.

Isn't he to blame if the Oilers have not made any significant progress? Was his analysis incorrect?
Doesn’t mean his recommendations were followed. Hard to believe that none of Kevin Lowe, Craig Mactavish nor Scott Howson had enough responsibility for the decade of darkness that they didn’t receive outright termination. Plenty of people playing much smaller roles than those three got fired.

The internal audit was just one thing in a long list of distractions used to get this team to the opening of the new arena with enough fans willing to pay even more money to watch bad hockey. My guess is that if we didn’t win the lottery pick we’d still have Mactavish in charge. That’s why I don’t think it’s a stretch that he’s Chiarelli’s replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawunderboy

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Wow. Such vitriol.
But I'm not it's not undeserved. DeLusionOil was right on the money IMO and I agree with his post.

However he is supposed to see over everything in THIS organization no, that is his position. In that, then he has failed in the last 6-8 month timeline at least.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I will hold judgement on Nicholson for now but if Chia isnt turfed in the offseason then Nicholson should get some heat as well

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Any chance he GM's interim until the offseason? Given the MSM calling out Chiarelli I think he's done along with McLellan.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'll give him a speck of credit for realizing the OBC were junk and couldn't be the guys in charge. You know, the thing we all knew many years earlier. It's clear he didn't do a good job of replacing them though.

He has a chance to show his worth right now though. Admitting he messed up and fixing it.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'm okay with Nicholson for now. After all, he did rid us of Kevin Lowe and MacT as President of Hockey Ops and GM and hired 2 pretty highly qualified guys (Even tho they do suck now).

If the Oilers finish bottom 5 and Chia is still GM by the draft, I will then dislike him as CEO or whatever he is.

I for-see the Oilers cleaning house this off-season. Hopefully they clear out the trash and not waste McDavid's career

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ok, jk aside, and my first post was dripping in that, Nicholson is obviously guilty of being a stick with my guys thinker. Sticking with what and who he knows. My feeling all along with Nicholson is that he's no more different, no more insightful than anybody we've had here. Just that he tacked his cart to a can't lose Hockey Canada wagon for awhile. He's been little more than a figurehead here is my suspicion. The org surrounding itself with credible known hockey people and hoping for the best. The trouble is this continues to be an org of dinosaurs. Guys basically collecting a cheque and retiring here and having last positions here. To that end no different than the Pat Quinn era except that he was more of a blowhard.

This org sure loves staid hockey people instead of fresh thinkers and when they do opt for new blood they can't tell the difference between charlatans like Eakins, or know it alls that little about hockey like Dellows. In fact its telling that both of the latter were arrogant snake Oils salesmen. Essentially people that have selling themselves as their primary skill. The org is plum loaded with those legend in their own mind types.

Reactions: ujju2

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
I'm okay with Nicholson for now. After all, he did rid us of Kevin Lowe and MacT as President of Hockey Ops and GM and hired 2 pretty highly qualified guys (Even tho they do suck now).

If the Oilers finish bottom 5 and Chia is still GM by the draft, I will then dislike him as CEO or whatever he is.

I for-see the Oilers cleaning house this off-season. Hopefully they clear out the trash and not waste McDavid's career

Rid us?

upload_2018-1-7_19-16-37.png

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Chiarelli was a high profile hire, as well as McLellan.

Nicholson did effectively take away the OBC. Just because Lowe and MacT are still employed doesn't mean that they are in charge of hockey decisions. I know fans wanted their pound of flesh for all their suffering, but in the long run it would be stupid to sever ties completely with important players from the past. Chiarelli was an outsider, not part of the OBC, and he has all the power. That's what matters.

We'll see how the org responds to the Oilers' current problems. I get why people are quick to jump on anyone and everyone in the Oilers brass now. The fact is that all of McLellan, Chiarelli and Nicholson were high profile for a reason. We'll see how they respond to the team's current problems.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

Nicholson did effectively take away the OBC. Just because Lowe and MacT are still employed doesn't mean that they are in charge of hockey decisions. I know fans wanted their pound of flesh for all their suffering, but in the long run it would be stupid to sever ties completely with important players from the past. Chiarelli was an outsider, not part of the OBC, and he has all the power. That's what matters.

We'll see how the org responds to the Oilers' current problems. I get why people are quick to jump on anyone and everyone in the Oilers brass now. The fact is that all of McLellan, Chiarelli and Nicholson were high profile for a reason. We'll see how they respond to the team's current problems.

This. I can understand the frustration but like you said, Nicholson, Chia and Mclellan were all high profile. Whether they lived up to the hype or not, it was the first time we truly got rid of the OBC from the day to day hockey decisions.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton

A decade of garbage hockey and you still defend the OBC? Just painful. It’s fans like you and media that don’t hold this team accountable which let’s these people continue to run this franchise in the ground.

Reactions: Summary

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A decade of garbage hockey and you still defend the OBC? Just painful. It’s fans like you and media that don’t hold this team accountable which let’s these people continue to run this franchise in the ground.
Yeah I will defend the OBC, as long as they aren't running the team. Thats our history

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

So you think that Chia kept MacT because he was the most capable person for the job available?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad