Rumor: Bob Nicholson turns down job with Caps, joins Canucks

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@DarrenDreger: Told the Canucks did not speak with Bob Nicholson. His name will surface in NHL based on experience and availability. Rest is his priority.

It does not stand to reason IMO that a former President & CEO would be offered the GM position. Look at the man's resume and it's clear he's a front office executive type rather than a GM candidate.

Liberati0n*

@DarrenDreger: Told the Canucks did not speak with Bob Nicholson. His name will surface in NHL based on experience and availability. Rest is his priority.

...so what txpd said? (I didn't read the article.)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Huge and exciting news if true....

Grandpa Dick was nice and all, but it's time for a new vision from the top down.

And TX, Patrick is absolutely involved in Hockey Operations. I talked to him after the Flyers/Pronger trade and he made it clear he did not approve of the Caps moving for Pronger. I came away from the conversation feeling like at a minimum he had a vote among the inner circle.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The President of any organization is going to have a hand in many of the higher order decisions such as facility leases, tax issues, the overall budget, big picture vision, etc. Just how much of the day to day operations he involves himself in is entirely up to him, and could either be direct or through reports from the GM. It depends on his executive philosophy.

There will be things a GM has to get approved and things he can do on his own per a longer term strategy or previous instructions. So it would not be out of the question for a President to be highly involved in player decisions, which are further managed by the GM.

There is no hard and fast rule on how much granular detail a President pays attention to in most businesses and I'm guessing the NHL is no different.

But a lot of the time a corporate culture is set from the top. If GMGM is mostly hands-off with his coaches it's probably a safe bet Patrick is pretty hands-off with GMGM.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Leonsis has said in the past that he asked Patrick to be among those interviewing coaching candidates when they hired Cassidy. I am sure he has input in anything, but I see no evidence that hockey operations are his responsibility.

http://www.monumentalsports.com/owners/dick-patrick/

he's a real estate developer. this description of Patrick's gig shows he is taking care of those sorts of issues for Leonsis. The arena. The ballston complex. so on.

have we had anyone backup the caps end of this thing?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Leonsis has said in the past that he asked Patrick to be among those interviewing coaching candidates when they hired Cassidy. I am sure he has input in anything, but I see no evidence that hockey operations are his responsibility.

http://www.monumentalsports.com/owners/dick-patrick/

he's a real estate developer. this description of Patrick's gig shows he is taking care of those sorts of issues for Leonsis. The arena. The ballston complex. so on.

have we had anyone backup the caps end of this thing?

Well then that fits what I said about about culture trickling down. DP probably lets GMGM handle most of the day to day operations autonomously, maybe only needing to touch base once in a while or on big issues. And GMGM in turn lets his coaches do their thing and has similar levels of contact.

Meanwhile, Oates comes in and micromanages the hell out of everything, seemingly with little regard for what GMGM has given him. Completely the opposite of what BB did, which was part of what made him successful.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm curious, are there any retired GM's that might be looking for a cushy job and a paycheck to be President? Have him give his vision and ideas and find the GM and help him find a coach to set it up?

While Bill Parcells didn't do a whole lot, I liked how he rebuilt the Dolphins pretty well in his 2 or 3 years. Something similar to that role?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00