Rumor: Bob Nicholson turns down job with Caps, joins Canucks

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but I found this interesting.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nicholson-talking-to-canucks-linden-could-be-gm/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=thn_daily_20140409

Specifically this part:

As soon as Nicholson announced his resignation from Hockey Canada last week, NHL teams were reportedly immediately in hot pursuit of him. He had reportedly already turned down the presidency of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment before the job was given to Tim Liewicke in 2013, and there is speculation that the Washington Capitals quickly made him an offer, which he also turned down.

It’s believed Nicholson most covets the Canucks job because he is a native of British Columbia and wants to spend more time with his family. It would be a perfect fit for the 60-year-old Nicholson, who is said to be more interested in new challenges than a big salary. It’s believed the Capitals offered Nicholson substantially more than the Canucks would pay him, but his heart is apparently with the Canucks.

Looks like Leonsis is looking to shake up the organizational structure without a doubt.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but I found this interesting.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nicholson-talking-to-canucks-linden-could-be-gm/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=thn_daily_20140409

Specifically this part:

Looks like Leonsis is looking to shake up the organizational structure without a doubt.

Interesting. President is Patricks role for the Caps. Now, they could easily have a few layers, so that's not really a big deal.

But big picture? From this, to the Gretzky "smoke", it seems obvious McPhee is out

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So like the title states, Bob Nicholson was offered a job with the caps for president of hockey ops for substantially more money than the Canucks offered but turned the job down. To me this all shows that they are looking for a replacement for GMGM and this puts it out there

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...tals-141311036.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

That seems like he'd be a replacement for Dick Patrick. Certainly interesting, and I'd agree that it likely indicates big changes coming to the hockey ops staff.

On him turning down the Caps, if the traveling is why he stepped down from Hockey Canada, it makes sense that he'd prefer his hometown team over one across the continent.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
It would have been endlessly amusing to me to have hired Nicholson and then traded Green away.

If we're really looking at a new team president, who is available/viable?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
It would have been endlessly amusing to me to have hired Nicholson and then traded Green away.

If we're really looking at a new team president, who is available/viable?

I think that role opens up a substantial number of names. Lighter workload, no traveling/scouting needed, etc. Pat Quinn immediately comes to mind.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
We haven't really talked about it but a new President after all these years would be pretty refreshing. Dick Patrick can stick to his being a partner in the ownership group while a wholesale organizational change is made. If this rumor is true then they're looking a little more big picture than most of us even hoped.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
We haven't really talked about it but a new President after all these years would be pretty refreshing. Dick Patrick can stick to his being a partner in the ownership group while a wholesale organizational change is made. If this rumor is true then they're looking a little more big picture than most of us even hoped.

Agree. There needs to be a fundamental change to the organization. Bring in some new faces with the appropriate skill sets and experience. No more rookie Head coaches, no more homer former player picks to fill spots.

It's pretty exciting this think this might happen. I hope we don't end up crying in our beer though. lol As a Caps fan there is always that in the back of your mind. Sigh....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
blast. that entire article is crap.
its not worth reading. they were wrong. linden is president. best I can tell that Nicholson has not been hired on.

the capitals president and "president of hockey operations" are not the same thing. McPhee is head of hockey operations as a VP/GM.
in Vancouver the president of hockey ops is the same as vp/gm in Washington.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the quote about the caps is attributed to nobody. how can you write that and have any cred at all.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nicholson-talking-to-canucks-linden-could-be-gm/
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Trevor+Linden+Nicholson+candidates/9715979/story.html

Yup, I'm sure the article is crap. Not like the Vancouver Sun and The Hockey News are reliable outlets or anything.

The team President in Vancouver seems to be the guy above the GM and below the majority owner. Who would that be equivalent to in DC? McPhee isn't above himself.

both of those articles are pre hire. neither mention the capitals. Patrick's duties with the capitals are not hockey operations oriented so far as I know. while he is a sounding board for Leonsis. his duties are not hockey ops and McPhee is listed as head of hockey ops.

titles and job descriptions are different. you cant buy that?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the quote on the caps being turned down is not attributed to anyone. Nicholson was not hired as president. he is not been hired for another position. so...what about that article is accurate?

if you guys want to believe this, please do.

ive said already that I think McPhee has given his notice. that he will be replace. so, offering Nicholson the job makes perfect sense. that doesn't mean I read that article and cant see where its wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
both of those articles are pre hire. neither mention the capitals. Patrick's duties with the capitals are not hockey operations oriented so far as I know. while he is a sounding board for Leonsis. his duties are not hockey ops and McPhee is listed as head of hockey ops.

titles and job descriptions are different. you cant buy that?

The Hockey News article absolutely mentions the Capitals.

From the Caps' website:

Patrick, who joined the Capitals prior to the 1982-83 season, guides the team on a daily basis

Sounds an awful lot like involvement in Hockey Ops.

Also, McPhee is not "listed as head of hockey ops". His exact title, from the Caps' website, is "Vice President and General Manager".

You can keep making it up as you go along though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00