News Article: Bob Miller will work reduced schedule this year. Kings will hire another PBP man

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
• Hockey Hall of Fame play-by-play man Bob Miller, who missed the last two months of the Kings’ last regular season as he recovered from heart bypass surgery, will definitely be back for his upcoming 44th season — but it will be with a reduced schedule by mutual agreement of him and the team. Miller, who turns 78 next month, sat out 33 games after his Feb. 2 surgery before returning as a spectator to watch the Kings open the playoffs in mid-April. “They said it would be a six-to-nine month recovery and I’m feeling pretty good now seven months from the surgery,†Miller said Friday from his West Hills home. “The team has been great in working on how to adjust the schedule for me.†The Kings have not announced the specifics of the plan, but it will involve hiring another TV play-by-play man as to not disrupt the flow of the radio side with Hall of Famer Nick Nickson or KingsInsider.com Jon Rosen filling in. While doing all home games and Pacific Division road contests, Miller will likely pass on about 20 games that involve extended road trips that focus on East Coast travel, such as most of the one that covers nine games in 17 days from Dec. 13-29. Miller’s first test run is doing back-to-back exhibition games in Las Vegas on Oct. 7-8 — which, by his count, will mark 3,321 broadcasts in his career. The regular season begins Oct. 12 at San Jose (an NBCSN game) and Miller’s first regular-season game back will be Friday, Oct. 14 when the Kings face Philadelphia at Staples Center.
'

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...clippers-channel-sails-forward-with-new-plans

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Wish they would let Nick do those games on TV as he transitions into the role full-time.

Oh well, we can only hope they do as well hiring somebody as the Dodgers did with Joe Davis.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
I thought Jon Rosen was fine as a fill in. No need to add someone for 20ish games. Maybe they are auditioning for the future??

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
I thought Jon Rosen was fine as a fill in. No need to add someone for 20ish games. Maybe they are auditioning for the future??

Of course they are. We all know Bob is on the tail end of his career, whether we like it or not.

Someone will have to be the new TV guy, eventually. It could still be Nick, however...if he wants the job.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
Its a mistake not to use Nick as TV pbp guy when Bob is out.

Let the new guy do radio on those games.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Nick Nickson seems to be one of the most passionate and exciting radio PBP to listen to.

As for Mr. Miller, he needs to have his personal health at 100%.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Nick Nickson seems to be one of the most passionate and exciting radio PBP to listen to.

As for Mr. Miller, he needs to have his personal health at 100%.

I don't think anybody has a problem with him reducing the number of games he does, Vin Scully has been doing for at least 5 years. First, he cut it back to just games in the division & inter-league road games in California, then just games in California, now just home games.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
I don't think anybody has a problem with him reducing the number of games he does, Vin Scully has been doing for at least 5 years. First, he cut it back to just games in the division & inter-league road games in California, then just games in California, now just home games.

pretty sure Vin's been doing it for 10-15 yrs

any Vin > *

any Bob > *

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad