News Article: Bob McKenzie: Link Between Subban's Usage and Contract Negotiations (UPDATE OP)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
As I said in the other thread, Dreger's just reporting what he's told. Don't shoot the messenger.

But yes, he's a boob. :)

Sure.

But MT's not using Subban in late games is mystifying. Even if he's trying to get a message across it's ridiculous that he did it in the playoffs.

You say that PK is far from perfect? Okay. Can we say this about the coach too?

You can find several posts on this board where I state that I am not happy with a lot of what Therrien does. I am no fan of our coach.

That still does not warrant the victimization of Subban because he is being "coached".

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I see the parallels.

In America, if you criticize Obama, you are racist.

In Montreal, if you coach Subban, you are racist.

****ing idiots in the media.

Do you actually believe that Obama is as good a president as Subban is a hockey player?

:help:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
**** sakes, our best player since forever is gonig to be run out of town with all this ****. It never ends, and at the end of the day you coudln't even blame him if he wants to leave.

However, I don't think he does but the tide needs to change and he need sto be shown some ****ing respect. Give him an 8 year deal and slap the C on him, give the man his due.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

**** sakes, our best player since forever is gonig to be run out of town with all this ****. It never ends, and at the end of the day you coudln't even blame him if he wants to leave.

However, I don't think he does but the tide needs to change and he need sto be shown some ****ing respect. Give him an 8 year deal and slap the C on him, give the man his due.

If Subban signs an 8 years 8M$ offer sheet by the Leafs and MB doesn't do **** about it, should I cheer for Toronto?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You can find several posts on this board where I state that I am not happy with a lot of what Therrien does. I am no fan of our coach.

That still does not warrant the victimization of Subban because he is being "coached".
Only people being victimized here are the fans. Not playing him in the last two minutes of critical games is crazy. Esp in the playoffs.

That is a coaching flaw no matter how you slice it.

And he shouldn't be 'coached' in the media. MT is going out of his way to talk the guy down publicly. If somebody asks if the Markov/Subban combo is good, you give a plain answer. You don't talk down one guy in favour of the other... not to the press.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

There's a very good chance this is a much to do about nothing type thing that's just getting way overblown. At least it better be.. Subban will be a Hab longterm if he wants to stay.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Do you actually believe that Obama is as good a president as Subban is a hockey player?

:help:

There is a politics forum somewhere on this website.

I am simply reciting what I hear from the media in America and now from the media in Montreal and from the ****ing genius Ted Bird.

Who the **** is Ted Bird and why does he have some semblance of relevance now? I just looked at his blog site and he averages one or two replies to his ramblings.

But throw racism out there regarding Subban and now TEN people have replied to his blog.

Attaboy Ted.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Only people being victimized here are the fans. Not playing him in the last two minutes of critical games is crazy. Esp in the playoffs.

That is a coaching flaw no matter how you slice it.

And he shouldn't be 'coached' in the media. MT is going out of his way to talk the guy down publicly. If somebody asks if the Markov/Subban combo is good, you give a plain answer. You don't talk down one guy in favour of the other... not to the press.

As said previously, I am not a fan of Therrien. Therrien has no idea how to act in front of the media. He made a complete fool of himself (and by proxy the team) during the Ottawa series last season after the Eller hit.

With all of that said, Subban is not immune from criticism nor coaching. Nor is any other professional sports athlete.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There is a politics forum somewhere on this website.

I am simply reciting what I hear from the media in America and now from the media in Montreal and from the ****ing genius Ted Bird.

Who the **** is Ted Bird and why does he have some semblance of relevance now? I just looked at his blog site and he averages one or two replies to his ramblings.

But throw racism out there regarding Subban and now TEN people have replied to his blog.

Attaboy Ted.
Racism takes on many forms. You're right that criticism of a black person is not always rooted in racism, absolutely right. But not everybody is in a post-racial world man.

Subban has always had an imbalance of heat on him, despite him being a model citizen off the ice and with the media, at some point you gotta look the elephant in the eye and call it like it is.

Mue

Oct 20, 2006
I dislike Wilde's writing but I agree with his premise.

PK Subban is treated differently by the hockey world and, for some of those people, I feel there is a particular reason why.

Last edited:

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Anyway, the article makes a lot of sense. I really dislike Bergevin and Therrien for the lack of respect they've shown Subban, and I'm 95% sure it's racism from these two who like to lecture the rest of the world on "character". Ultimately the one thing Subban has going for him is that he really loves the game, and Therrien and Bergevin did everything they could to take that away.

Subban is the one player, the only player, the singular player, that Bergevin has singled out to not get a good contract. Every single other player has been paid respectfully. Every single other player has been paid respectfully and even overpaid. It's disgusting.

Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/the-curious-case-of-p-k-subban-1.1524316#ixzz2jQsOHPXk

Brilliant point.

One of the worst posts I've ever seen.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Awesome article. Subban is getting shafts from all directions. It's really eye-opening for me. I half want him to be traded to another team or go on an RFA offer-sheet for $10M per so that he can be classified as a "generational" talent on D, and I half just want Therrien fired today.

I agree, it really was well written. I also agree with you sentiment regarding him being displayed as the generational D he could be (or arguably, is).

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
It has nothing to do with racism and while Subban is phenomenal talent, he has much room to grow before he can reach his full potential on and off the ice.

When the coaches crack down on White, no one cries foul. Same situation here, different reasons.

Young players need to be coached and disciplined or they become a liability on the team and that is what management is doing. He will become an exceptional leader on this team but only if he does what is needed for him to become that.

Having talent does not mean your entitled to do what you want, when you want it when you're part of a team. Leaders put the team first and lead by example, you can't become a leader if all you want is to do things your way.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Nice to hear Torts stand up today and defend the Sedin's to the people who call them soft all the time. If MT was the Canucks coach he would've agreed and also called them soff.. :sarcasm:

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Anyway, the article makes a lot of sense. I really dislike Bergevin and Therrien for the lack of respect they've shown Subban, and I'm 95% sure it's racism from these two who like to lecture the rest of the world on "character". Ultimately the one thing Subban has going for him is that he really loves the game, and Therrien and Bergevin did everything they could to take that away.

Subban is the one player, the only player, the singular player, that Bergevin has singled out to not get a good contract. Every single other player has been paid respectfully. Every single other player has been paid respectfully and even overpaid. It's disgusting.

Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/the-curious-case-of-p-k-subban-1.1524316#ixzz2jQsOHPXk

Brilliant point.
As i posted in the other thread, this is just so stupid. PK Subban is totally flamboyant.

flamboyant1
flamˈbɔɪənt/Submit
adjective
(of a person or their behaviour) tending to attract attention because of their exuberance, confidence, and stylishness.

Please tell me this doesn't describe pk to the letter?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Correct me if I am wrong. We have a 24 year old that won the Norris after being told to "get better" for a long term contract. The kid won the ****ing Norris after being told this!!! I would say that, just as a fan, we should give him what ever he wants and thank the stars we have a franchise player after 20+ years of crappy drafts, poor development, and crazy politics.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Yeah, this is all too black and white (no pun intended...seriously).

PK is a great player, however he does have his shortcomings. He hangs on to the puck too long at times, doesn't make the safe play when he should. This is the reality of the situation. PK still has things to learn and improve upon. MT has coached PK to a norris trophy and so far this season, aside from a couple games lately, PK has been great.

MT has done a great job with PK so far, but let's not put undue pressure on the coach. MT's job is to win games, not to put PK on a pedestal. If PK is not held accountable and we sign him to a mammoth contract, what happens if bad habits start to re-emerge from his game? This is not at all like the Roy situation. Roy was an established star who was mistreated. It's PK's 4th year in the league and he is just being held accountable by the coaching staff. Nothing more need be made of the situation.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Racism takes on many forms. You're right that criticism of a black person is not always rooted in racism, absolutely right. But not everybody is in a post-racial world man.

Subban has always had an imbalance of heat on him, despite him being a model citizen off the ice and with the media, at some point you gotta look the elephant in the eye and call it like it is.

You look at the elephant in the eye and then cast your opinion.

In reality, you do not know what Therrien believes about Subban.

It is an assumption on your part.

Which is worse? A racist? Or a person who blames racism on a person who has not been proven to be a racist?

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
But the coach is? The Gm is?

Yes, the coach is as well as the GM.

The coach defines the team with his philosophy. The GM builds the team.

That is what they are paid to do. To be above the team in a position of authority. There is a huge disconnect when a player on a team assumes that role.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
There's a very good chance this is a much to do about nothing type thing that's just getting way overblown. At least it better be.. Subban will be a Hab longterm if he wants to stay.

Yeah there is a good chacne that it's overblown by media and fans but there's also a chance that this is all factual and anyone taking all this crap for no reason would say enough is enough. And that scares me, I want PK on this team for a long time and would be extremely angry if he's run out of town over a managerial power trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad