News Article: Bob McCown

Macman

May 15, 2004
He was slurring noticeably the last few times I listened, so I’m not totally surprised. I wish him well.

Reactions: justashadowof

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
He was slurring noticeably the last few times I listened, so I’m not totally surprised. I wish him well.
Yeah his last podcast especially he already looked like half his face was partially paralyzed. I'm not sure how Shannon didn't notice. Or may be he did and Bob told him to fack off. LOL.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Yeah his last podcast especially he already looked like half his face was partially paralyzed. I'm not sure how Shannon didn't notice. Or may be he did and Bob told him to fack off. LOL.

Oh man...that's quite noticeable. You can clearly tell half his face looks paralyzed, and he was talking as if he was rolling marbles in his mouth.

I'm not a podcast guy, so unfortunately I barely if ever listen to him anymore. I found him abrasive at times on the air, but grew to really appreciate his style and show, and his departure from the Fan was the last of me listening to sports radio.

Wishing him all the best, and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Macman

May 15, 2004

Geez, that’s worse than I saw. They should have stopped it. It’s obvious something is wrong.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
For those who have listened to Bob on the Fan590, and since on his podcast, Bob had a stroke a couple weeks ago and has been in hospital recovering.

Get well soon Bob, missed you on the podcast already for 2 weeks.

I didn't know. Sad news, but glad to hear that he is on the mend.

I miss Prime Time Sports.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Hope he recovers as best he can.

Great voice!

I don't know anything about his private life, but always got the impression he hasn't lived the healthiest lifestyle and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure he's had many a great times, and hopefully gets to have more.

Best wishes to Bob.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Was the first guy I really trusted in the Toronto market telling it like it is
Hayes and kipper try but they ain't bobcat
Yeah, I started listening to Bob in the late 90's. Was always my go to show for no bull commentary.

Bob also attracted the best guests in the business, so the discussions were alwasy on point. One better thing with the podcast is that they have a lot more time to discuss things than on the radio which was like a 15 minute max, especially with high profile guests like Gary Bettman for example. He was on a few times already with Bob and John on the podcast, and it was pretty informative vs the short answers or quotes in regular media.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I found his style off-putting at first but came to realize that's his schtick... I liked his interviews in particular... They weren't cookie cutter like the vast majority of journalists resort to... His out-of-the-box style of questioning and his intelligence and knowledge of most sports isn't seen often these days... My dad died from a stroke after 4 years of suffering so I can identify with what he's going through... Hope he gets better soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr C

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I found his style off-putting at first but came to realize that's his schtick... I liked his interviews in particular... They weren't cookie cutter like the vast majority of journalists resort to... His out-of-the-box style of questioning and his intelligence and knowledge of most of all sports isn't seen often these days...
Agreed, and not just sports. he's discussed plenty of non sports issues over the years and has an uncanny ability to be knowledgeable about a ton of things.

Also I also enjoyed many discussions about the business of various sports, behind the scenes stuff as well.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Most strokes are from the hole in your heart not being closed after birth

25% of us have a hole in the heart
And if a blood clot doesn't go to your lungs to be filtered out it goes back on your blood stream and causes a clot or worse a bleed

Bob is likely retired now. Good luck I hope you heal up and can enjoy life again

It won't be easy I speak from experience. I had a stroke in mid April. It resets your hole body and your the most tired that you have ever been all the time. Even 2 1/2 months later my stamina isn't there to do much. Listen to your drs and take it easy. Hope rehab goes well . Get well to enjoy life!

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I was gonna say alot of people don’t even know they have a hole in their heart. I was tested quite a few years ago and apparently I don’t. It was weird test from what i remember. They put some fluid in s tube snd look for bubbles. All i rememeber.

Last edited:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

And if a blood clot doesn't go to your lungs to be filtered out it goes back on your blood stream and causes a clot or worse a bleed

Bob is likely retired now. Good luck I hope you heal up and can enjoy life again

It won't be easy I speak from experience. I had a stroke in mid April. It resets your hole body and your the most tired that you have ever been all the time. Even 2 1/2 months later my stamina isn't there to do much. Listen to your drs and take it easy. Hope rehab goes well . Get well to enjoy life!
Blood clots don't get filtered in the lungs.
Blood clots in the lungs cause fatal problems, just like they do in the heart, brain, and nearly everywhere else in the body....they can cause tissue death.

Look up the terms pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis.

Anything can be the cause of clots. Even something as otherwise benign as simple day surgery can spark a response that leads to clots.

It's why I had to sign waivers for knee surgeries and plasma injections.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Legendary sports radio host unceremoniously dumped in a terrible decision from Rogers.

Get well Bob. Long road to recovery for a great voice in Toronto media history.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Legendary sports radio host unceremoniously dumped in a terrible decision from Rogers.

Get well Bob. Long road to recovery for a great voice in Toronto media history.
They keep dumping people to this day and hiring nobody's in order to shed salaries due to the disaster NHL contract.

had the NHL contract been split between CBC, TSN & Rogers like for a long time before, Bob would still be at the Fan590 and so would many other good talents who have been sacked in the past 4-5 years.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Blood clots don't get filtered in the lungs.
Blood clots in the lungs cause fatal problems, just like they do in the heart, brain, and nearly everywhere else in the body....they can cause tissue death.

Look up the terms pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis.

Anything can be the cause of clots. Even something as otherwise benign as simple day surgery can spark a response that leads to clots.

It's why I had to sign waivers for knee surgeries and plasma injections.
My cardiologist differs

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
My cardiologist differs
Maybe.

However, if your cardiologist is actually of the belief that blood clots are "filtered" in the lungs of the average person, then he or she needs to have the license to practice medicine revoked.

There are implants that can be placed inside blood vessels that are designed to "filter" (for lack of a better word, and also because that's part of the name) blood clots:

What your cardiologist was likely talking about is structural heart defects that are actually quite common in newborns, but that normally repair themselves in the infant.
Sometimes, when these aren't self-repaired, the infant may need surgical procedures done to close off the shunts in the heart (my niece had that at 7 months old at Sick Kids).

Untreated this condition may be mild enough to only register as a heart murmur and be an annoyance throughout the life of a person.

However, it can also be a life-threatening condition that needs surgical repair later in life.

There is a condition called Eisenmenger Syndrome.

Stroke is one of the possible symptoms of this condition, but you'll notice that there is no mention of lung filtering by the Mayo Clinic. It does explain what a stroke is (an embolism in the brain that prevents blood flow).

I know it's pedantic, but you should reach out to your cardiologist and have him or her explain what was said about the heart defects and the possible conditions it could have on a person.

I can almost guarantee that you misunderstood the doctor.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

It won't be easy I speak from experience. I had a stroke in mid April. It resets your hole body and you’re the most tired that you have ever been all the time. Even 2 1/2 months later my stamina isn't there to do much. Listen to your drs and take it easy. Hope rehab goes well . Get well to enjoy life!
LL, buddy, take ‘er easy my man, all the best recovering. We’re not done here yet, they still owe us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad