Bob Hartley named coach of Omsk Avangard

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I've always wondered how Canadian anglo coaches fare over in the KHL. Do they have a Russian translator riding shotgun with them at all times, or are most KHLers at least partly fluent in English as well?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I've always wondered how Canadian anglo coaches fare over in the KHL. Do they have a Russian translator riding shotgun with them at all times, or are most KHLers at least partly fluent in English as well?

The same way soccer coaches have been doing it since... nobody remembers when.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's too bad

Was hoping a rival team would hire him for an NHL head coaching job, since he's terrible, but it looks like no one was that stupid.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why did the Flames fire him? That seemed like a too soon move...
I more or less wondered why the Flames extended him for several years. I forgot if it was right before he won the Jack Adams or right after that. Then he was fired a year later, not even sure if he coached a single game on that new contract extension they gave him. He wasn't even a Treliving hire, he was a Feaster hire a few years prior.

That's one of the reasons I thought maybe Treliving would be on the hot seat. He extended Harley, he fired Hartley, hired Gulutzan, fired Gulutzan. You'd gotta think Peters is his last get out of jail for free card, unless of course he fires Peters in 4 or 5 years from now, but if he only lasts 2 years like Gulutzan, you gotta think he's also gone.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I more or less wondered why the Flames extended him for several years. I forgot if it was right before he won the Jack Adams or right after that. Then he was fired a year later, not even sure if he coached a single game on that new contract extension they gave him. He wasn't even a Treliving hire, he was a Feaster hire a few years prior.

That's one of the reasons I thought maybe Treliving would be on the hot seat. He extended Harley, he fired Hartley, hired Gulutzan, fired Gulutzan. You'd gotta think Peters is his last get out of jail for free card, unless of course he fires Peters in 4 or 5 years from now, but if he only lasts 2 years like Gulutzan, you gotta think he's also gone.
Treliving gave him that extension in Dec. 2014 which was in the middle of that playoff run season when the team was playing balls out entertaining hockey every game. When we missed the playoffs the next season he was then booted out. Hartley was 100% Feaster's guy (literally, they are close family friends) so I think he had a pretty short leash with Treliving to begin with.

Gulutzan was definitely a bad hire and if the team looks like poop again under Peters, Treliving will be next in line and the eternal cycle shall continue... :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad