Bob Gainey era finally over

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Gainey, the arrogant dunce, retired his own number.

If that doesn't sum up the collective heads-firmly-up-***** routine of his reign, I don't know what will.

I'm glad he's gone from the NHL, it's a more coherent and logical place without him. And until the stench of our diving, defensive, boring smurfy team is gone from this team, Bob Gainey's mark will be here.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If we spoke like academics, the Bergevin era might be referred to as "neo-Gaineyism".

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
I give BOb credit for laying down the law. After years of the media attempting to influence the team & the boo birds who caused problems & were left unchecked (See Patrick Roy saluting the crowd on one of the darkest days), he made it clear who was in charge. Not the media nor the boo birds.

"We don't need those people, we don't want those people, they're jealous people, yellow people," Gainey said of the fans who booed Brisebois. "I think they're a bunch of gutless ********, to be honest."

That took guts & quite frankly before he did that I was hoping for so long that someone would come out & say exactly how I had been feeling.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

If that doesn't sum up the collective heads-firmly-up-***** routine of his reign, I don't know what will.

I'm glad he's gone from the NHL, it's a more coherent and logical place without him. And until the stench of our diving, defensive, boring smurfy team is gone from this team, Bob Gainey's mark will be here.

anypone with half a brain understand GMs dont take part in this kind of stuff.

any any Habs fan with half a brain know Gainey wasnt the type to bother with "events".

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
thing is, that would be pointless as it doesnt mean anything.

My comment doubled as an esoteric joke, and the suggestion that the finality of the Gainey era may be a meaningless illusion given that Bergevin may be a very similar GM.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
anypone with half a brain understand GMs dont take part in this kind of stuff.

any any Habs fan with half a brain know Gainey wasnt the type to bother with "events".
How much of a brain do you have then, considering Bob Gainey had TEN Jersey retirements during his reign? Even if someone else nominated his jersey to be retired (Boivin), it doesn't change that he's the GM and he has final say about these matters.

Must be an infinitesimal fraction of sorts... which goes toward explaining the nature of your posts.

My comment doubled as an esoteric joke, and the suggestion that the finality of the Gainey era may be a meaningless illusion given that Bergevin may be a very similar GM.
If it makes you feel any better, I got it.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

That was offensive. The less I say here, the better.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Even then, having Saku as a 1/2/3 C would have been better than what we had. A Gomez/Koivu/Plekanec punch wouldn't have been bad.

Dominic Moore, with his speed and two-way ability, was a great third centre in the Cup run year. Unfortunately, Mr. Gauthier dismantled that superb third line with Lapierre and Pyatt, way too quickly.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It is also forgotten that from the beginning of the 09/10 season to the unjustified Martin firing in December 2011 we were at our most consistently competitive in almost 20 years.

Besides making the Conference Finals in 2010, we were one shot away from beating the Stanley Cup Champs in 2011, and this without Markov the entire playoffs. That seventh-game overtime series with Boston was epic, and very competitive!

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
How much of a brain do you have then, considering Bob Gainey had TEN Jersey retirements during his reign? Even if someone else nominated his jersey to be retired (Boivin), it doesn't change that he's the GM and he has final say about these matters.

Really? Never in the history of time has the GM of the Montreal Canadiens had the responsibility of retiring numbers for **** sakes. I'm sure you can find legitimate reasons to hate on Gainey without making up crap like this.

RuggieriHabs76

Sep 13, 2013
Bob Gainey as GM of the CH was the worst possible thing that happened to us, we remained a borderline playoff team during his stay besides the 2009 season. The only move that paid divdends for us was the Rivet to SJ deal for Gorges and a 1st (Paccioretty). I Will never EVER forgive him for the Gomez deal and his accomplishments here as a player aren't enough to make me feel otherwise.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Really? Never in the history of time has the GM of the Montreal Canadiens had the responsibility of retiring numbers for **** sakes. I'm sure you can find legitimate reasons to hate on Gainey without making up crap like this.

From what I remember correctly it was George Gillette. He wanted the Habs community to embrace the team again and that included the history. That meant more sweater retirements.

Bob Gainey as GM of the CH was the worst possible thing that happened to us

You gotta be kidding me. Were you not alive in the 90's?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Must be an infinitesimal fraction of sorts... which goes toward explaining the nature of your posts.

If it makes you feel any better, I got it.

so, what you're saying is, you have no clue... to no surprise, too busy calling others names I guess.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I do have legitimate reasons, my initial post was bringing up ONE event as a summation of his reign.

He's had a lot worse blunders than retiring his own jersey... but none quite as silly, arrogant and full of puffery.
From what I remember correctly it was George Gillette. He wanted the Habs community to embrace the team again and that included the history. That meant more sweater retirements.
It was more than likely Gillette and Boivin but my point was that Gainey's era could be summarized with jersey retirements more than anything else, case in point, Gainey was in charge when his own jersey was retired.
so, what you're saying is, you have no clue... to no surprise, too busy calling others names I guess.
What are you talking about? Is this trolling?? I responded to an alternate situation: if Gainey retired his own jersey - he's an arrogant dunce; if Boivin retired Gainey's jersey - it's still terribly myopic of the organization.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I do have legitimate reasons, my initial post was bringing up ONE event as a summation of his reign.

He's had a lot worse blunders than retiring his own jersey... but none quite as silly, arrogant and full of puffery.

It was more than likely Gillette and Boivin but my point was that Gainey's era could be summarized with jersey retirements more than anything else, case in point, Gainey was in charge when his own jersey was retired.

What are you talking about? Is this trolling?? I responded to an alternate situation: if Gainey retired his own jersey - he's an arrogant dunce; if Boivin retired Gainey's jersey - it's still terribly myopic of the organization.

exactly, cause you dont know...

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Gainey is a good person. I assume Bergevin is also. As for management style, I don't know what anyone means by similarity. Gainey made massive trades (some of them verging on the catastrophic) and dreadful UFA signings. So far Bergevin hasn't. I don't consider the rental of Vanek to be a massive trade or the signing of Briere to be dreadful, although I don't think he should have done it. I approve of the contracts awarded to Price and Pacioretty. The recent play of Desharnais almost justifies his extension.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

You do know that Bob Gainey is a four time all-star, four time Selke winner, Conn Smythe trophy winner and member of the hockey hall of fame right?

We're not talking about Rejean Houle here. We're talking one of the greatest left wingers in Canadiens history regardless of point totals. One of the most important cogs in the Canadien's 70s success. He made my Islanders sweat in the 80s and was one of the only guys who could give Trottier and Bossy fits. Nobody thought in the Oiler/Islander days that the Canadiens could win the Cup again. He captained that to happen in 86.

To deny Gainey of his number being retired is nothing short of silliness but it's pretty clear you have a definitive agenda against Bob Gainey, to the point where you are seriously posting your anger that several years ago, Gainey didn't turn down the chance to have his number retired on a team he gave his entire playing career for.

You clearly did not grow up when Gainey was playing. You have no place to discuss whether or not he deserved to have his number retired. He's in the Hall you dolt.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
You do know that Bob Gainey is a four time all-star, four time Selke winner, Conn Smythe trophy winner and member of the hockey hall of fame right?

We're not talking about Rejean Houle here. We're talking one of the greatest left wingers in Canadiens history regardless of point totals. One of the most important cogs in the Canadien's 70s success. He made my Islanders sweat in the 80s and was one of the only guys who could give Trottier and Bossy fits. Nobody thought in the Oiler/Islander days that the Canadiens could win the Cup again. He captained that to happen in 86.

To deny Gainey of his number being retired is nothing short of silliness but it's pretty clear you have a definitive agenda against Bob Gainey, to the point where you are seriously posting your anger that several years ago, Gainey didn't turn down the chance to have his number retired on a team he gave his entire playing career for.

You clearly did not grow up when Gainey was playing. You have no place to discuss whether or not he deserved to have his number retired. He's in the Hall you dolt.

A famous Russian hockey pioneer, I forget the name, Anatoli Tarasov maybe, called Gainey the best hockey player in the world. The NHL created the Selke trophy because of him, he was the innovator of the defensive forward role. Deserves every award he got. Now as manager, if he had been only half as good as he was as a player, well...lets just forget that part of his hockey career.:help:

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I think Gainey was a very good GM until the unfortunate death of his daughter.. I really didn't like the huge turn around made with the signing of UFAs, but he gave us Price, Pac, Subban, Gorges, etc. Sure, the bad moves he made in the end probably prevented us from being an elite team, but he still took a last place team that couldn't draft to save its own life and turned it around into a team that regularly made the playoffs during his tenure. We'll never know how it would've turned out had he not lost his daughter this way, maybe I'm naive, but I really think it changed everything...

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
A famous Russian hockey pioneer, I forget the name, Anatoli Tarasov maybe, called Gainey the best hockey player in the world. The NHL created the Selke trophy because of him, he was the innovator of the defensive forward role. Deserves every award he got. Now as manager, if he had been only half as good as he was as a player, well...lets just forget that part of his hockey career.:help:
ya, just horrendous...

img013_slide.jpg

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Personal insult aside, I don't disagree about a single thing you've written.

But you're avoiding my point: Gainey's tenure as GM was all about hubris and resting on past laurels. It was all about 5-year-plans and addition-by-subtraction and other vague, passive moves which ultimately spoiled an entire decade's worth of prospects and rebuilding.

My complaint about his jersey retirement is because THAT was the biggest tangible development during his entire GM career as a Hab. Retiring jerseys was his bread and butter. Yeah we got Price but that was a top5 lottery pick, it's like crediting Bergevin for getting Galchenyuk.

ya, just horrendous...

img013_slide.jpg
How did the Habs fare with him as GM?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Personal insult aside, I don't disagree about a single thing you've written.

But you're avoiding my point: Gainey's tenure as GM was all about hubris and resting on past laurels. It was all about 5-year-plans and addition-by-subtraction and other vague, passive moves which ultimately spoiled an entire decade's worth of prospects and rebuilding.

My complaint about his jersey retirement is because THAT was the biggest tangible development during his entire GM career as a Hab. Retiring jerseys was his bread and butter. Yeah we got Price but that was a top5 lottery pick, it's like crediting Bergevin for getting Galchenyuk.

How did the Habs fare with him as GM?

that's how much you know huh :laugh:

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
Ah c'mon WhiskeySeven. It's already been mentioned that the retiring of jerseys was more about Gillett reversing the trend that retiring any more numbers was a no no. As a matter of fact, if the organization had the class to do this sooner than perhaps Geoffrion would have been alive to celebrate his retirement. That was a sad shame he missed out

What, did Gainey run over your dog or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad