Management Bob Essensa

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bob Essensa has been the Bruins goalie coach since 2003 and predates anybody in management.

He saw something in Ullmark to convince Sweeney to sign him.

Many of us rolled our eyes over the signing - not anymore

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
He is our secret weapon. His pre-scout work on the opposition goalies wows me. I will admit I do not know much, but I have seen a lot of hockey, and goalie Bob picks up stuff within a game or two that I either never see or it takes about three, or many more, games to see.

Reactions: Sevendust

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
He is our secret weapon. His pre-scout work on the opposition goalies wows me. I will admit I do not know much, but I have seen a lot of hockey, and goalie Bob picks up stuff within a game or two that I either never see or it takes about three, or many more, games to see.
Three Vezinas in the last decade. Going to be four when Sway wins his too. Speaks for itself.

Reactions: HustleB and BMC

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I've said this before, and I will say this again. Bob Essensa should have been in the conversation for the Jack Adams more than once during his career. I know that the award traditionally goes to a head coach only, but Essensa is the reason that Tim Thomas put together that year in 2011 that was pure magic. Rask made it clear on a few occasions that Bob has done a tremendous job with him, and now we see Swayman and Ullmark both in the top 10 goaltenders in the league this year. You go down the list of goalies that we have had under Bob and it is clear that he should be the first non-head coach to be in the conversation for the Jack Adams.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think goalie coach is one of the more underrated positions in hockey. A lot of teams out there never seem to develop top goalies no matter who they trade for or draft or their guys seem to reach their potentials elsewhere (like EDM, WSH, TOR) while other teams seem to churn out good goalie after goalie (BOS, NSH).

While I'm sure the general play styles of the team play a part, Boston being more defensive generally, I only can assume after reading EDM still has the same goalie coach from the McTavish era and we do from 2003 that these guys play a huge role in identifying and improving our guys' weaknesses out there.

Props to Essensa, hope he stays for a long time.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The undisputed best in the business. Goaltending is very much about what goes on between the ears. Unreal what a strong mental game Bs goalies have had after working with him. The Goalie Whisperer.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Tim Thomas was a journeyman before getting here, the Leafs chose Justin Pogge over Rask before sending him here, and Linus was a decent goalie on a bad Buffalo team that never got much of a chance.

Goalie Bob has to be a major part of all three of these legends reaching their potential.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Goalie Bob is indeed the best. In a crunch he will suit up for a game. :)
1677512073297.png

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Another guy the Bruins need to sign to an extension. He's done a fabulous job the last 20 years
Goalie Bob started here in Boston in 2003, Tim Thomas here the same year. In my opinion it’s no coincidence this organization has enjoyed the success in the goaltender position consistently since. From the Tim Thomas era, to Tuukka and now here we are with Ullmark & Swayman. Essensa doesn’t get nearly the recognition he deserves.

• Love
Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad