latest

past players include: Earl Seibert, Milt Schmidt, Bobby Bauer, Woody Dumart,
Claude Pronovost, Ott Heller, Babe Siebert, George Hainsworth & Howie Meeker

Kitchener Greenshirts
a defensively-responsible opportunistic-scoring squad
with championship-proven, captain-loaded, hardworkers

coaches Dr. Jan Starsi & Karel Gut

Busher Jackson - Frank Nighbor - Boris Mikhailov
FN's takeaway & pass to ES for rush or to fast BJ bull to net 'n backhand or to BM offwing inside shot and netcrasher
Herbie Lewis - Tommy Dunderdale - Odie Cleghorn
speedy passing & defending by HL, stickhandling speed & scoring by TD, rushing puckhandling scoring & physicality by OC
Jiri Holik (A) - Joe Nieuwendyk - Jack Darragh
skating two-way durability by JH, face-offs & stickhandling & responsible play by JN, speed & passing & clutch play by JD
Pud Glass - Cal Gardner - Jimmy Roberts
checking & relentless skilled effort by PG, aggressive checking & passing by CG, intense shadowing & checking & pking by JR
sub forwards: Dick Irvin, Yevgeny Babich

Earl Seibert - Art Coulter (C)
ES rushes & speeds, AC passes & fights; both check hard, move the puck, play a two-way game
Lionel Hitchman (A) - Red Dutton
shutdown D & puckhandling transition by LH, competitive fiery HHOF bodychecking by RD
Bucko McDonald - Flash Hollett
stay-at-home checking & shot blocking by BM, rushes up ice & shots by FH
7th dman: Dunc Munro

Turk Broda
workhorse starter was 1st or 2nd in NHL games played for 8 seasons
Jiri Kralik

Note: Gardner is a C/LW, Glass, F so the coach could ice a fourth line of Gardner-Irvin-Glass when desired (e.g., when not facing teams with Eddie Shore or Sprague Cleghorn types - which our division has - match-ups that are bankable to involve fighting; Roberts being a great defensive RW/D to sub on the blueline 3rd pairing, McDonald a legit top-4 dman sub option when Dutton or Coulter are in the box with Eddie Shore or Sprague Cleghorn).

PK1: Nighbor, Lewis, Seibert, Hitchman
PK2: Nieuwendyk, Roberts**, Coulter, McDonald
PP1: Nighbor*, Nieuwendyk, Mikhailov, Seibert, Hollett
PP2: Jackson, Dunderdale, Cleghorn, Coulter, Hitchman

* Nighbor was a LW as a star performer in a Stanley Cup championship so he could perform pp duty from there.
** When Irvin starts instead of Roberts, then Holik or Glass capably sub on the 2nd pk unit.

Vs.​

a3a25b8259414ce316c6c195e5aa191f.jpg

Las Vegas Raiders

GM - Modo

Head Coach - Pete Green
Assistant Coach - Don Cherry

Team Captain - Doug Gilmour
Assistant Captain - Lanny McDonald
Assistant Captain - Eddie Shore

Reg Noble - Doug Gilmour (C) - Lanny McDonald (A)
Dave Andreychuk - Duke Keats - Rick Middleton
Brenden Morrow - Frank McGee - Pat Verbeek
Ray Getliffe - Derek Sanderson - Bill Goldsworthy
x - Ken Linseman

"Babe" Siebert - Eddie Shore (A)
Ulf Samuelsson - Red Horner
Barclay Plager - Nikolai Sologubov
x - Oldrich Machac, Lubomir Visnovsky

Glenn Hall
Chris Osgood

PP1: Gilmour - Andreychuk - Keats - Siebert - Shore
PP2: McGee - Middleton - McDonald - Horner - Sologubov

PK1: Morrow - Sanderson - Samuelsson - Horner
PK2: Getliffe - Gilmour - Shore - Plager

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Here's to a hard-fought series, VI......if the Greenshirts end up walking away the victor, hopefully it's with a bit of a limp. :p:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Some remarks on the match-up:
  • The Greenshirts were built to handle the top-end defensemen in our division, especially guys like Shore. Seibert is the only guy Shore never wanted to fight; Dutton or Coulter will gladly take Eddie Shore to the box in matching majors (with Shore getting an instigator extra if such a penalty is used).
  • Raiders' ass. coach Cherry can preach rock 'em, sock 'em hockey (Horner and Plager will drop the gloves quickly) but Kitchener hasn't the shrinking violets, floaters or character issues for it to be a Vegas advantage.
  • The Raiders penalty killing units will have quite the load to bear in the series. Horner, Shore, Plager, Samuelsson are on the pk unit blueline, but these guys spend a ton of time in the penalty box! This seems to be the most penalized set of pk blueliners in ATD history!
  • While the Raiders have Hall in net, Broda has a comparable playoff resume; more crucially, Hall will have to stand on his head time and again with all the nasty nonfighting penalties (cheapshot artists Verbeek, Samuelsson have 5300+ PIMs between the two of them!) and the lack of footspeed relative to the opposition (Andreychuk & Samuelsson especially).
  • Love the Nighbor vs. Gilmour first-line center match-up. That would be epic to see! :yo:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Some remarks on the match-up:
  • The Greenshirts were built to handle the top-end defensemen in our division, especially guys like Shore. Seibert is the only guy Shore never wanted to fight; Dutton or Coulter will gladly take Eddie Shore to the box in matching majors (with Shore getting an instigator extra if such a penalty is used). If Shore continues to tussle with your captain, one might be inclined to believe others would step in to defend him. Personally I don't see Shore backing down from anyone, including Seibert. Side note: I was intrigued so I looked up how long the instigator (or some variation of it) has been around.....1937. Who knew?
  • Raiders' ass. coach Cherry can preach rock 'em, sock 'em hockey (Horner and Plager will drop the gloves quickly) but Kitchener hasn't the shrinking violets, floaters or character issues for it to be a Vegas advantage. That's nice. I don't expect my team to steamroll the competition, on the scoreboard or on the judge's scorecard. Just a gritty team that will go toe-to-toe with any challenger - even ones from Kitchener - and make them work their ass off for every win.
  • The Raiders penalty killing units will have quite the load to bear in the series. Horner, Shore, Plager, Samuelsson are on the pk unit blueline, but these guys spend a ton of time in the penalty box! This seems to be the most penalized set of pk blueliners in ATD history! Thanks! It's a good thing I'll never need all four of them at once, lol
  • While the Raiders have Hall in net, Broda has a comparable playoff resume; more crucially, Hall will have to stand on his head time and again with all the nasty nonfighting penalties (cheapshot artists Verbeek, Samuelsson have 5300+ PIMs between the two of them!) and the lack of footspeed relative to the opposition (Andreychuk & Samuelsson especially). Hall still holds a record that will outlast every one that Gretzky ever set. He'll be fine. Also, I can't speak for Ulf, but Verbeek was no cheap shot artist! Just a tough son-of-a-youknowwhat who also racked up over 500 goals, and resides on my third line. Lastly, you bring up footspeed, well I can bring up Frank McGee, Rick Middleton, and legend has it that Duke Keats once scored a goal on an end to end rush, skating backwards. The Greenshirts won't be skating too many circles around us, I don't think.
  • Love the Nighbor vs. Gilmour first-line center match-up. That would be epic to see! :yo:
    Indeed. :nod:

Shots fired. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad