Reed Larson

Dominik Hasek
Chuck Rayner
Ron Hextall

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I do like the makeup of the first line but the second line of the whalers is one of the weakest at this point in the draft especially when they are going to have the screws put to them by the Clippers defense.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Whalers in six.

Sather doesn't have a team built to his strengths. If they try to run and gun they're toast.

Shero on the other hand has Mikita & Forsberg to play the role of Bobby Clarke. Hasek to play Bernie Parent. and Kent Nilsson to play Rick MacLeish, the ultra talented somewhat lackadasical 2nd line center. and he has plenty of physical play from Jonathan, Semenko, O'Reilly, Foote, beck, Konstantinov and Ching Johnson.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
My thoughts on the series:

I think it's a battle of two contrasting styles.

Both teams have very good goaltending. Hasek was a much better goaltender overall, but Dryden was known for his clutch play, which evens it up a little.

Hartford has very balanced pairings, with a defensive rock paired with strong puck movers. They're hoping that Johnson, Konstantinov and Foote can handle the Clippers' strong forwards. Personally, I feel that the Clippers' defense is stronger, and may give some of Hartford's forwards some troubles.

Up front, I think Hartford has the advantage when it comes to scoring depth. But their lack of a true checking line is a little disconcerting, although they do have several strong defensive players, including Pavelich, O'Reilly and Howe. The Clippers may have a little more trouble scoring, especially considering the goaltender on the other side, so they will need a more grinding, slower series in order to capitilize. They also need their third and fourth lines to try to contain Hartfords 1st and 2nd.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
A complete contrast in styles. In keeping with jtuzzi/HFF tradition, the Whalers are a run-and-gun team, loaded with potent scorers. The only offensive weak spot is left wing. In contrast, pitseleh is a rugged, defensive team loaded with winners and playoff experience. That's not to say they don't have scorers - Charlie Conacher is one of the best goal scorers of all-time, and Esposito, Cowley and Ullman is one of the best 1-2-3 centre punches in the draft. If this series is a tight-checking affair, with lots of 3-2 and 2-1 games, advantage Nanaimo. If this series is wide-open, Hartford will be in their element.

I think the goaltending for both teams is great. If Hasek falters or has one of his mood swings, then you can go to legit HHOFer Chuck Rayner. Boy, I bet Bryan Murray wishes he had that option last year. Ron "The Ninja Goalie" Hextall as the No. 3 can be Heaven or Hell. Nanaimo has a six-time Cup champion as their goalie. In the end, that's why I give them the edge in net. You know what you're going to get from Dryden at this time of year. Their backup, Ed Giacomin, might be the best NHL goalie ever without a ring.

Defence is definitely an edge for Nanaimo. HFF worked really hard to improve on his defence from the last draft, which had (gasp) Larry Murphy as its No. 1. But Hartford still doesn't have a No. 1 this time, even though they could have picked Savard, Claguehorn, Clancy, Seibert or Gadsby when they went with Salming. Nanaimo's top two are both better than Salming, and they also have Pronovost, Boucher, Reardon and Hall. One of the best 1-2 punches, and one of the deepest in the draft.

I do like the composition of the defence, with a good blend of skill and toughness, but the absence of the elite, 30-minute per game guy who can take control of a series single-handedly does hurt.

As far as overall defensive play goes, a big edge to Nanaimo here, too. They have a strong checking line, and even the Ullman line will be tough to play against. Hartford doesn't have that shut-down line, a must at this time of year. While it's nice to have the Forsberg-Hejduk tandem together, a guy like Bob Nevin would or even (gulp) Thomas Sandstrom or Russ Courtnall would have looked a lot better in that spot.

HFF's only offensive weakness is on the left side. Nilsson's actually a natural left winger, but he has experience at the other positions. pit's checking lines will be in very tough against the Mikita line. He only won one Cup, but Mikita was a terrific playoff performer. And he'll get involved physically, opening up lots of room for Cournoyer. Selanne has to come up big. His playoff portfolio is less than inspiring. His reputation as a fader is well deserved.

pit's offence isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Picking Naslund in the top 200 was a big mistake. It leaves a gaping hole on the left side behind the very underrated Sweeney Schriner. Punch Broadbent's role on the first line will be to create room for Espo and Schriner. But the real threat on this team is the tandem of Cowley-Conacher on the second line. Forsberg and Pavelich will have to contain that potent duo if Hartford is to win.

At the time, we thought that it might be good for Hartford and Nanaimo to swap coaches. But Hartford has some players who will be right up "The Fog's" alley. Nanaimo isn't the free-wheeling team that Sather would be well-suited to.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
At the time, we thought that it might be good for Hartford and Nanaimo to swap coaches. But Hartford has some players who will be right up "The Fog's" alley. Nanaimo isn't the free-wheeling team that Sather would be well-suited to.

Yeah, that was probably my biggest mistake. Sather was the only guy left that I considered an elite coach (never really like Imlach). I figured I'd rather roll the dice with a proven winner like Slats and hope he could adjust rather than taking an inferior guy a little later on.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
quick point:

my reasoning behind drafting Nilsson:

he is a gifted offensive player.. but if he can't handle the toughness I slide Forsberg up to cover. Forsberg is easily one of the best playoff performers of my generation and having him as an option for second line centre is lethal.

I like my defense as well, might have gone with Savard over Salming but again went witha gut call there. I am in the Hasek is the best goalie ever camp, so obvious reasons there.

My LW's are very interchangable, as Pavelich and Howe both play great defensive, two-way, speedy games. Drillon is a big body presence that could line-up anywhere.

My only major weakness is lack of a great fourth line. I drafted Keats thinking he was a defenseman, so having a slick fourth line pivot isn't what I wanted. O'Reilly is one of my favourites from the old games I have watched, and think he would spark this team with some hitting.

Cournoyer would absolutey decimate this defense with his speed at times.. Selanne has a shaky track record in the post-season but has undeniable talent. Hejduk was a gut call again. He is solid defensively for an offensive player, and has a proven playoff record (and chemistry with Forsberg)

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Interesting match-up.

I'm not big on Esposito. I am a huge fan of Hasek.

That said. If anyone can own Hasek, it's Esposito. Hasek's one flaw is deflections (What goalie's isn't?) and Esposito is the master of that.

The biggest advantage Hasek offers is that he seems unbeatable at times which gives a psychological advantage. If Esposito can pierce that illusion, and he can, then that will drastically change the make-up of this match-up.

The other interesting thing is that Naniamo is built to wear out the opposition, while Hartford is built with the depth to outlast.

The marquee match-up is Espo vs Hasek. But the real battle is Foote vs Espo. If Adam Foote can keep Esposito out of things, then Hasek can take over and give the advantage to Hartford. If Foote can't do it, then Nanaimo can get enough goals to make their defensive style work.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
This seems to be the forgotten series as there really isn't any controversy and to be honest with you I don't get a great feel from either team as neither team has great depth on the forward ranks. Stan Jonathan is a definate head scratcher of a pick that I am still questioning and while I do like Terry O'Reilly his grind them out style doesn't seem to mesh well with Keats who from everything I have read was more of a finesse passer who could feed the puck to a streaking winner than a grinder. And while that is only the fourth line and they do have a better third line when you can't ignore the history of the second line and for that reason alone I would have to give the offensive advantage to the Clippers.

Defensively I really like what the Whalers have done with a tough hard hitting d-corps who will be able to grind the opposition and make life miserable for them. I also really like the defense that the Clippers have been able to put together where there is a solid mix of skill and finesse evened out with some nastyness. GBC mentions that the Whalers don't have the player who can log 30 minutes and control a game but to be honest with you I don't see the CLippers as having that advantage either. It is really close but I have to give a slight advantage to the Whalers just due to physical play.

Goaltending: How can you really go wrong with Dryden or Hasek - the easy answer is that you can't. Personally I grew up watching Hasek's theatrics and I have really only seen Dryden on video and from that Hasek was the best that I have ever seen. I still don't know how he did it to keep the pucks out but he somehow did. Not a huge advantage but one is still present for the Whalers.

Coaching: Hartford has a team with some of Shiro's MO behind it where as I don't see any Sather on the clippers.

I still don't know who will win this one to be honest with you.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Looks to be an interesting series. I really like the idea of the Cowley/Conacher combo on the 2nd line for the Clippers. It's a good thing the Whalers do have a lot of hard hitting defencemen, because they're going to need them. Conacher is one of the greatest Leafs of all time and played on the best line in Leafs history IMO. Combine his goal scoring ability with Cowley's penchant for setting plays up, and the Clippers have a great one-two combo on the 2nd line. I'm not the biggest Markus Naslund fan, but with no pressure on him to be a leader he can go out there and do his thing, which is score, rather then worry about keeping the team united. Also, the Hartford defence against the Clippers top line would be pretty damn interesting too see in the playoffs. Who gets more stitches by the end of the series, Borje Salming or Punch Broadbent?

The goaltending matchup also looks to be interesting. Good on Hartford for getting some great depth in goal. I was thinking to myself the other day about what a liability Hasek is as a #1 goalie in this draft if there isn't a good replacement for him should he get injured (which IMO is a viable question to ponder). While we have all seen Hasek play at the top of his game (a treat too see even though I have a very low personal opinion of him), some of us were not as lucky too see Dryden. However, if the rings on his fingers are any indication he certainly can be counted on in the clutch. Also, less of a chance of a breakdown with him as he is much more calm and collected then Hasek.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Elvi, I think Nanaimo has two star defencemen: Clapper and Gadsby. Clapper's a true icon of the game, the first to play in 20 NHL seasons, and the first player to have the HHOF waiting period waived. I'd say he's definitely a top 20 all-time defenceman, and a guy whose place in the game is elevated by his versatility. He was a first team all-star three straight years. (And, as I've stated before, the top talent didn't leave for the war until about 1941 or 1942, after Clapper's three straight all-star seelections).

Gadsby had the distinct misfortune of sharing a peak with Harvey and Kelly - two of the top seven defencemen ever. And he was still good enough to be a first team all-star three times in a four year span in the late 50s. One of the best players to never win a Stanley Cup. If he's not top 20, he's darn close. He was strong offensively, with four straight seasons over 40 points, including two over 50. And he could hit, too - just ask Tim Horton. pit definitely got a steal picking Gadsby in the middle of the fifth round. I think murray said after the pick that he was Gadsby in his top seven.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Coaching: Neither coach has a team ideally suited to his style, but I figure Shero's lineup comes closest. Advantage: Whalers

Goaltending: Hasek is better, but Dryden has a better playoff track record. Neither is going to cost his team the series, that's for sure. The backups are both pretty good as well. Advantage: Even, with Hasek more likely to steal a game

Defense: The top pairings are pretty even. A past his prime Clapper made a very good defenseman, so in his prime he probably will be the best D on either side. For that reason I'll say the Clippers have the better #1 unit. Neither Johnson or Reardon are the most mobile of defenders, but Reardon has better speed. While Zubov is underrated by many, he still isn't quite as good as Gadsby, so I'll pick again pick the Clippers duo. Both teams 3rd pairings bring some offense and physical play to the table. I'd have to say the better mobility and size of the Whalers duo will give them the edge. Only Boucher isn't a penalty waiting to happen though, so neither pair is likely to see major minutes. Larson and Vadnais bring much the same tools to the party, so no advantage to either team from their spares. Advantage: Clippers, but it's close

Forwards: I think the Whalers top line is a little better crafted, but they will also face the better checking line. The Esposito line will likely faceoff against the Forsberg line, which should be interesting. The Whalers trio has better speed, but I'd say the worst missmatch would be Hejduk on Schriner. Schriner would likely eat Milan alive. I think a #1 vs #1 matchup might work in the Whalers favour. While the 2nd line for the Whalers has plenty of offense, I don't think they would fair very well against the Ullman line of the Clippers. While could see them having a speed advantage against the Clippers #2 unit, they have little chance of containing Cowley and company when they have the puck. As for the Whalers 4th line, they have some good talent, and add a physical edge, they are not going to see much playing time, as all three, and Semenko, spend too much time in the penalty box. Advantage: Clippers

In the end I think the Clippers are going to ride their special teams to a win in 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad