Bob Cole Division: #4 Schooners vs. #5 Leafs

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
As part of the All-Time Draft #6 post-draft analysis we are having fantasy playoff head to head matches, beginning with the 4th and 5th ranked teams in each division, as judged based on initial general perceptions and analyses of the 20 draft g.m.s. Now is the time to look closely at how these all-time greats would do against a real, well hypothetically real, opponent.

Feel free to submit observations and analyses. Especially by the team g.m.s and anyone familiar and/or willing to examine the teams in the context of a playoff series. Please refrain from making sweeping final judgements. Analyses and commentary are encouraged. Voting will be via PM to Nalyd Psycho on Sunday and Monday before midnight eastern time. Until then, take time to reflect...

Bob Cole Division:
#4 vs. #5

Halifax Schooners

Head Coach: Toe Blake

Delvecchio-Dionne-Richard
Roberts-Lafontaine-Thomas
Smith-Federko-Guerin
Corson-Peca-Steen
Finnigan

Coffey-Langway
Ross-Hatcher
Burch-Schneider
Stuart

Broda
Joseph
Wregget

Toronto Maple Leafs

Coach:Hap Day

Pavel Bure - Mario Lemieux - Mark Recchi
Bill Barber - Mats Sundin - George Armstrong
Joe Klukay - Dave Keon - Ron Ellis
Cory Stillman - Dan Bain - Todd Bertuzzi
Eric Staal

Scott Stevens - Nik Lidstrom
Lennart Svedberg - Gary Suter
Bobby Baun - Bob Goldham
Robert Svehla

Ed Belfour
Tom Barrasso
Roberto Luongo​

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Upon first glance, the Leafs seem to have more experienced clutch players in playoff hockey, at every position, most notably Lemieux and Sundin going against Dionne and Lafontaine in the postseason seems like a distinct advantage. On the other hand, the Schooners have the sort of backline players who step it up when it matters most. I'll have to take a closer look at this and other factors in the days ahead.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Couple of nice top pairings in this debate, Stevens-Lidstrom vs. Coffey-Langway is an interesting debate.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I can just see Richard lining up next to Pavel on the opening faceoff and Pavel thinking this aint gonna be good. The Rocket is also going to be getting under Belfours skin in the first 2 minutes of the series. That will probably be the story of the series. Richard vs Stevens would be epic as well.

Suter and Stevens will be battling the likes of Roberts, Corson and Guerin and Bertuzzi vs Hatcher is going be tough. I can see this series getting nasty actually.

I have a hard time determining what kind of identity these two teams have. Toronto has some fantastic skill mixed in with some two way players and a couple heavy hitters on the blueline. What style are they going to bring?

Halifax has some classy guys, annoying type guys, good depth guys, checkers and of course the Rocket.

Both teams have legendary coaches.

I see a chippy series developing and that might negate the skill of Lemieux/Lidstrom and Dionne/Coffey. That kind of series would be to Halifax's advantage I think.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I think both of these teams are fairly evenly matched. They both have dynamite top lines and top defensive pairings.

I'd say Broda has a slight advantage over Belfour, but depth wise, I'd say both teams are pretty weak (Wregget was definitely a head scratcher).

I think LL has a strong checking line with Keon on it, which I'd take over th Peca line on Halifax.

Over all, this is definitely a tough one to call.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I think both of these teams are fairly evenly matched. They both have dynamite top lines and top defensive pairings.

I'd say Broda has a slight advantage over Belfour, but depth wise, I'd say both teams are pretty weak (Wregget was definitely a head scratcher).

I think LL has a strong checking line with Keon on it, which I'd take over th Peca line on Halifax.

Wregget was a total brain fart, but IMO it's not really that relevant in a playoff series. Now, I honestly think Toronto has the edge over my squad. The Leafs are dynamite up the middle with Lemieux, Sundin and Keon. I know there were a few who thought Sundin went early, but I disagree. His consistant as hell, well over 1,000 points on his career and is a clutch performer. Outside of the top pairing, my defence is weak and considering Coffey is part of said pairing, it's hardly a shutdown pair. While Broda IMO is a big upgrade over Belfour, it won't be enough to stop the down the middle strength of the Maple Leafs.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

If there was a Conn Smythe trophy in the 40's, Broda would have between 2 and 4. He's probably the best money goalie of all time. I'd say, in a playoff environment, Broda has a distinct advantage.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont

I agree that both these teams are evenly matched and its a tough call. I like Broda over Balfour, but really like LL's centers. Lemiux-Sundin-Keon may be the best in the draft (next to Hamilton, of course)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The Schooners have two of the best playoff players ever in Maurice Richard and Turk Broda. I can see them doing quite well in this series. But then you have to remember that LL has Mario Lemieux, and I don`t know who can stop him. Remember, this guy easily deked past Ray Bourque in the playoffs; imagine what he`ll do against Coffey.

One wildcard factor: as great as Belfour is, he can be thrown off his game if they crash the net. And once he loses his temper, he`s a write-off.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I agree that both these teams are evenly matched and its a tough call. I like Broda over Balfour, but really like LL's centers. Lemiux-Sundin-Keon may be the best in the draft (next to Hamilton, of course)
murray, normally I'd take a GM to task over a comment like that last sentence, but I can't. Hay-Perreault-Boucher-Bentley is the best four-pack of centres in the two drafts that I've been a part of.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
As the GM who will play the winner of this series, I guess I should offer my two cents. I think LL has the better squad on paper. But on paper, he has a very good team, and that team finished fifth in the division. Why? Chemistry, work ethic and character. And it's too bad that good leaders like Armstrong and Keon have to be dragged down by selfish individuals like Bertuzzi and Bure.

If it comes down to goaltending, give a big edge to TC. Belfour's a high-end back-up in a 20-team draft. Broda's one of the top 10-12 goalies of all-time. You can be sure that Broda will steal a couple games for the Schooners. Halifax also has an edge (although not as much of one) in the coaching department. Don't get me wrong, Hap Day was a hell of a coach, one of the top 10 of all-time. But Blake's arguably No. 2 all-time after Bowman.

LL definitely has TC licked in terms of forwards and defence. Both teams have good centre corps. We know what LL's centre are capable of. But TC has a good array of centres, too. He'd better - I think he had all four by the 12th round. LL definitely has an edge on the wings. TC is very weak on the wings beyond Richard and Delvecchio, and Delvecchio had his best years at centre.

I love TC's top pairing of Langway and Coffey. I think it's one of the most unique in draft history. The best offensive defenceman of the 1980s and the best defensive defenceman of the 1980s. But I'm not a fan of his defence after that. Burch is really the only defenceman who is suited to his role (No. 5 defenceman who'll play 15-18 minutes per game). LL's top three of Stevens, Lidstrom and Suter is rock-solid, and the bottom tandem of Baun and Goldham is very, very reliable.

Interesting to note that these are two vaunted members of the BWO. That alone should make for a heated matchup. Does the winner get to be the BWO president for a day? (In other words, does the winner get to wear the biggest brown paper bag in HF's Leaf nation?)

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Interesting to note that these are two vaunted members of the BWO. That alone should make for a heated matchup. Does the winner get to be the BWO president for a day? (In other words, does the winner get to wear the biggest brown paper bag in HF's Leaf nation?)

silly there is nothing better in the world then being a leaf fan

no brown bags anymore they were put away 20 yrs ago

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
you guys need to learn about the great dan bain

Lemieux
Sundin
Keon
Bain
Bain's a great, but murray has three of the top 20-25 centres ever in Bentley, Perreault and Boucher, and the other centre, Hay, was good enough to play with Bobby Hull in Bobby's prime. You have the No. 2 centre ever, a couple guys who'd rate somewhere between 25-40, and then Bain.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Day has an interesting task, he's noted for being demanding defensively, how's he going to get along with Bure, Lemieux and Bertuzzi? On the flipside, how's much is he going to love coaching Keon and Stevens? And, GBC, only top 10, then why he keep beating your coach every playoff series they met?

Bain's a great, but murray has three of the top 20-25 centres ever in Bentley, Perreault and Boucher, and the other centre, Hay, was good enough to play with Bobby Hull in Bobby's prime. You have the No. 2 centre ever, a couple guys who'd rate somewhere between 25-40, and then Bain.

IMO, Perreault and Boucher are pretty borderline for the top 25...

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'll take the Leafs size and strength up the middle.

Also more players noted for clutch play Lemieux, Recchi, Bure, Stevens, Lidstrom.

Dionne has never won a 7 game series in his life.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The Schooners have the clear advantage in goal, and coaching.

On D, I'd say the Leafs are a little better, but for one wild card. Hod Stuart was the best PLAYER on the planet when he died in 1907. If he transitions well into the modern game, then I'd say he could be the difference in the series.

I'd say the Leafs have a much clearer advantage at forward. Their checking line is much more likely to shutdown the Schooners #1 line than for the Schooners to return the favour. I'd also say the other two lines are to their advantage as well.

As for the others naming the Leafs clutch scorers, has everyone forgotten Richard and Thomas? I'd say of the best clutch playoff performers on either team, I'd have to put Broda and Richard at the top of the list.

As guess what it comes down to for the Schooners is can you out coach the other team when all the forward matchups go against you? I'm thinking not. Leafs in 6.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The better team overall is the Leafs by a fair margin at the same time though in a playoff series I don't know who I would take just due to the toxic locker-room which has been discussed ad nasium. However while the goaltending is much weaker the rest of the team is significantly stronger than the Schooners especially when it comes to the second line.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I think the first star of this series would be Keon. Centres a solid shutdown line and can create a ton of offence as well.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I’m having the most trouble deciding on the winner of this series.

Halifax has a huge advantage in goal. Broda is a good starting goalie while Belfour should be a backup. Broda is one of the steadiest and calmest goalies ever, and has a sterling playoff reputation. Nayld’s right; if the Conn Smythe had been around in the 40’s, Broda would own at least a pair. Belfour had some good years, but was never as strong as Broda. Additionally, aggressive players like Richard, Roberts and Corson should be able to throw him off his game.

I don’t think Halifax would be able to stop Toronto’s relentless offense. Lemieux and Bure on the same line would be a sight to behold; I don’t see how any of Halifax’s forward lines or defense pairs could stop that.

Halifax forwards will play a tougher, more physical game but Toronto’s tough defense should be able to handle that.

I like Halifax’s depth a lot more. There’s a lot of uncertainty with Stillman, Bertuzzi and Staal. Halifax’s depth players are steady and dependable.

Both teams have skilled defensemen who are good at moving the puck. There will be a lot of odd-man rushes.

Judged solely on talent, I think the Leafs have a better team. However, the major wildcard is chemistry. This has already been discussed many times. Belfour off his game, plus a locker room with Bertuzzi, Barasso and Bure is a disaster waiting to happen. Halifax has a lot of team players and leaders like Richard, Roberts, Thomas, Langway, etc., with no troublemakers.

The key questions are: can Halifax's significant advantage in goal make up for Toronto's goaltending? Also, will Toronto spend more time battling Halifax, or each other?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad