Bob Baun Broken Ankle Game on NHL Network Vintage Games

Wetcoaster

Check out the NHL Network.

The April 23 1964 play-off game between the Leafs and Red Wings is being replayed on the NHL Network's Vintage Games. Baun having broken his ankle earlier in the game, returned in overtime and scored the game winning goal to tie the series at 3-3.

Even more amazing Baun would play the next game and not miss a shift when the Leafs won the Cup in game 7 by a score of 4-0.

I had the chance to discuss this in person with Bobby a couple of years ago while at the Hockley Valley Resort outside Toronto. He told me that Howe caught him with a snap shot right on the high ankle. He had fight with the Detroit doctor at the Olympia who wanted to take off his skate - he insisted the ankle be shot up and taped so he could return to action. He did and the rest is history.

He laughed and said it was the biggest break of his hockey career.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Check out the NHL Network.

The April 23 1964 play-off game between the Leafs and Red Wings is being replayed on the NHL Network's Vintage Games. Baun having broken his ankle earlier in the game, returned in overtime and scored the game winning goal to tie the series at 3-3.

Even more amazing Baun would play the next game and not miss a shift when the Leafs won the Cup in game 7 by a score of 4-0.

Yeah well, recovering from injuries was so much easier back then...and injuries are much more painful in today's Nuuu NHL. Players are much more heroic now.

Did I mention that I once watched a 30 second YouTube clip of the NHL pre-2005? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad