Board games - any recommendations?

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I'm not huge on board games but I've played a few.

My fiends and I had pretty steady Settlers of Cataan gaming nights for years, If you get a good group together thats's still an epically fun time.

Another really fun one I remember is Bootleggers. I wonder if that game is still around.

As far as older classics go? One night a friend brought an old game called Acquire to one of our sessions and asked if we wanted to learn it. It ended up being gaming night staple for years. You invest in hotel chains. It's a simple setup but has just the right amount off depth.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Codenames, Taboo, Scattergories.

Don’t know if you’d consider these board games though.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
By “strategic ones,” are you referring to resource management-type games? As someone already said, Catan is a really popular resource management game. I personally hate it, but hey, to each their own.

I primarily play thematic board games, so stuff like Betrayal at House on the Hill, Gloomhaven, and Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. The one game I own that combines both styles is Lords of Waterdeep, and I’ll admit that I find that game to be really fun despite being a resource management game.

I can try to provide more recommendations, but I’ll need a little more info on the types of games you like/want to play.

Reactions: blue425

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Betrayal at House on the Hill
I can try to provide more recommendations, but I’ll need a little more info on the types of games you like/want to play.

This with the Widow's Walk expansion is hands down my favorite game for years now.

My friends and I also really like Zombicide which is like a DnD lite campaign that takes place over ten stages. Each stage takes 1 -2 hours to play.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
This with the Widow's Walk expansion is hands down my favorite game for years now.

My friends and I also really like Zombicide which is like a DnD lite campaign that takes place over ten stages. Each stage takes 1 -2 hours to play.

Have you ever played Betrayal at Baldur's Gate? It's overtaken the original for me because I've played the original so many times and have had the same scenarios play out time and time again. I don't have Widow's Walk, though, and I imagine that could help shake things up for me and the rest of my gaming group.

Haven't played Zombicide, but I have a buddy who owns all of the expansions, or close to all of them. He loves the game and swears by it, but I've never played it with him before. The zombie theme doesn't do much for me, personally.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just discovered “monopoly deal” and absolutely love it. It’s monopoly in 15 minutes instead of 4 hours

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven't personally played it, but saw some reviews and thought it was interesting for board games and that is Battle for Rokugan.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I haven't personally played it, but saw some reviews and thought it was interesting for board games and that is Battle for Rokugan.

I was literally coming in here just to say this.

I own Battle for Rokugan and it's amazing. Lots of variety between play through's with the different clans and the way the game plays in general. Each round will be different. It's also a fun game for 2 players as well 5; each number of player plays slightly differently which is great.

War of Whispers is another great one. The premise is every player is a spy trying to manipulate one or two of the 5 empires in the game. It's an interesting take on classic strategy games and is a lot of fun with 4 players.

Root is great! Puts various animal clans against each other all with their own unique goals and play styles.

Finally the Undaunted series is really good if you are looking for a 1 v 1 game. It's military strategy meets deck building. Lots of variety and ways to carry out each mission.

Reactions: S E P H

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'd say Carcassonne, Azul and Race For The Galaxy are strategic without being overly complex (although RFTG can be tough to teach).

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I so wish I had a gaming group.

I absolutely love Munchkin, Legendary, etc. But just no one to play with. Luckily Legendary can be played solo.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Have you ever played Betrayal at Baldur's Gate? It's overtaken the original for me because I've played the original so many times and have had the same scenarios play out time and time again. I don't have Widow's Walk, though, and I imagine that could help shake things up for me and the rest of my gaming group.

Haven't played Zombicide, but I have a buddy who owns all of the expansions, or close to all of them. He loves the game and swears by it, but I've never played it with him before. The zombie theme doesn't do much for me, personally.

I haven't played quite as much Betrayal as you. Probably get in 4 - 6 games of it a year. Were at the point now where once or twice the same haunt has come up and generally well play until a new one is revealed. Not to say we don't have our favorites though. The expansion adds more rooms/items/events/omens and another 50 haunts which brings you to 100.

Haven't played the Baldur's Gate, or as I call it DnD Betrayal:D I try to not buy games that are already similar to ones I have, they take up space and we live in a small apartment. That said the others in our group are willing to pick up the slack on that front.

Oh I have to throw Colt Express out there. This one is in my top three for a bunch or reasons. It doesn't take too long, thematically it's awesome, and it is really easy to play. It is basically Sunset Riders: The board game.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Really depends on what you're looking for. Kemet/Rising Sun are great dudes on a map games. Brass Birmingham/Lancashire are great economic games. Container is low key an amazing time despite looking dull as shit. Res Arcana is a great card game and widely available. 18xx games are just literally the best.

For a party game - skip Codenames - Decrypto is better in every way.

Edit - oh for Euros there are games like Agricola, Terraforming Mars, and Great Western Trail that slap.

Gloomhaven is a fun alternative to DnD in a lot of ways.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Scythe is a solid game, does a lot of different things but is not the master of any if that makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad