GDT: BoA4: Flames at Oilers: March 1

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
So Monahan will likely get at least 20 goals this season. Keeps up the pace he finishes with 27. Very likely that he gets 25.

Long shot that he gets the 30. :nod:

SHould be an interesting rest of the season in this regards.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
@DarrenHaynes_CP's:
How about this. First 2-goal game for #Flames Sean Monahan comes 17 years to the day of Jarome Iginla's first 2-goal game -- also at age 19.

Aug 3, 2010
@DarrenHaynes_CP's:
How about this. First 2-goal game for #Flames Sean Monahan comes 17 years to the day of Jarome Iginla's first 2-goal game -- also at age 19.

Monahan is only 3 goals away from breaking Iginla's franchise record of 21 goals in a rookie season so you know his offensive game is there. Though he's not quite as close to Iginla's rookie point total of 50 but there's still ~20 games to go. :naughty:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't think its fair to compare Monahan to Iginla. They won't have nearly the same careers. You won't see Monahan explode past a defender and then beat the goalie with a slapper. Monahan will be the guy getting pushed around in front of the crease until he makes some smart movements and gets body position that leads to a goal.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Look at how Toews plays the game, I think you'll see Monahan play comparably the same (not at the same levels, as of now). Knows where to be in front of the net and get open but excellent along the boards and winning puck battles.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
@DarrenHaynes_CP's:

Monahan is only 3 goals away from breaking Iginla's franchise record of 21 goals in a rookie season so you know his offensive game is there. Though he's not quite as close to Iginla's rookie point total of 50 but there's still ~20 games to go. :naughty:

These two tidbits of info give me a boner.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think its fair to compare Monahan to Iginla. They won't have nearly the same careers. You won't see Monahan explode past a defender and then beat the goalie with a slapper. Monahan will be the guy getting pushed around in front of the crease until he makes some smart movements and gets body position that leads to a goal.

I took Iginla 5 yrs to dominate

So far Monahan is 1 yr ahead of Iggy at the same age.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly, for me based on what I've seen so far the best comparable I've seen for Monahan is Nieuwendyk. I think their styles are very similar, he's definitely been more offensive than I anticipated. I think I may change my username to "Clutch Money".

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Honestly, for me based on what I've seen so far the best comparable I've seen for Monahan is Nieuwendyk. I think their styles are very similar, he's definitely been more offensive than I anticipated. I think I may change my username to "Clutch Money".

Personally he reminds me so much of Toews especially off the ice. I mean Mony flew back to Ontario to train for his Olympic break because he wanted to get better, which is dedication not many show. He not only thinks the game the same as Toews but seems to approach the same off the ice, while he doesn't have the hands Toews does I think he is going to be a very special player.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows

Lots of Flames rookies have scored more than 21. Nieuwendyk had 51!

Monahan is going to be awesome though. If I had to pick a comparable, I'd go with Trevor Linden.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Personally he reminds me so much of Toews especially off the ice. I mean Mony flew back to Ontario to train for his Olympic break because he wanted to get better, which is dedication not many show. He not only thinks the game the same as Toews but seems to approach the same off the ice, while he doesn't have the hands Toews does I think he is going to be a very special player.

I agree, I think Toews is slightly more skilled, but other than that they are very similar. Shot, playmaking ability, IQ, defensive awareness, leadership/attitude/work ethic. I give a slight edge in skating to Toews, but that could change in time.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It took Iginla 5 years? To dominate the league?

Monahan is dominating what exactly?

Very confusing post.

You said it. Iginla scored 21 goals in his first season, which was as a 19 year old (just like Monahan is on pace to do). Iginla's first assist was as an 18 year-old, in his first game with the Flames (just like Monahan). He scored his first goal in his second game, also as an 18 year-old (just like Monahan).

I don't know why there's any evidence to suggest that their development has been markedly different.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
He's just saying iginla played in the NHL the year after his post draft year, Monahan made the jump the year he was drafted. And that iginla hit his prime about 5 years into his career.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's just saying iginla played in the NHL the year after his post draft year, Monahan made the jump the year he was drafted. And that iginla hit his prime about 5 years into his career.

The confusing part is that he said that Monahan was developmentally ahead of Iginla at the same age, where the only noticeable difference is the fact that their birthdays are a couple of months apart.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The confusing part is that he said that Monahan was developmentally ahead of Iginla at the same age, where the only noticeable difference is the fact that their birthdays are a couple of months apart.

Plus Iginla hit 50 points, which Monahan is likely not going to do. Mind you, it was slightly different hockey then.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00