GDT: BOA - Flames (27-25-5) @ Oilers (33-19-2) 8PM MT

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
Excellent game for the Flames!

But, I am failing to understand not having at least "1" guy in the lineup who can rough it up and answer when guys like Nurse, Kane etc. start pushing around Rasmus et al. Different, if this is a championship team and we really need that talent through 4 lines. This is opposite of the team 3 years ago that had more than enough battleships but that wouldn't engage because they were previously on the other team etc. Now we have skewed too much the other way - 1 guy, any guy, doesn't have to play 82 games, but in games like this has to be there to keep Kane etc. from trying to wishbone our players.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Excellent game for the Flames!

But, I am failing to understand not having at least "1" guy in the lineup who can rough it up and answer when guys like Nurse, Kane etc. start pushing around Rasmus et al. Different, if this is a championship team and we really need that talent through 4 lines. This is opposite of the team 3 years ago that had more than enough battleships but that wouldn't engage because they were previously on the other team etc. Now we have skewed too much the other way - 1 guy, any guy, doesn't have to play 82 games, but in games like this has to be there to keep Kane etc. from trying to wishbone our players.
Eh, I think the Flames won the battle ultimately. The Oilers tried a lot of shit, none of it worked, they got penalized and McDavid took the hardest hit on the night.

The only guys out there who I wanted to see more reaction from when infractions were occurring were the refs. Even though they did punish the Oilers on occasion, there were several instances where the Oilers seemed to be intentionally taking a penalty to exact revenge away from the puck and the refs just let it go.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
X8CCDDR.gif
I take back any criticism I've ever had of Coleman or his contract (it was mostly his contract).

McDavid turned into a complete nonfactor after that hit.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Games like this make me sad hanifin wants out. We are going to miss him.
I was talking with my roommate the other day about this. Hanifin reminds me a lot of JBo. Players you don't really notice that much until they f*** up. But they do so many little things that start off plays and offensive pushes, or stop plays from happening defensively that you just never notice until they're gone. We're a worse team without him, 100%, but I don't think a lot of people are going to realize how much we're going to miss him until he's gone.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I was talking with my roommate the other day about this. Hanifin reminds me a lot of JBo. Players you don't really notice that much until they f*** up. But they do so many little things that start off plays and offensive pushes, or stop plays from happening defensively that you just never notice until they're gone. We're a worse team without him, 100%, but I don't think a lot of people are going to realize how much we're going to miss him until he's gone.

I think with Defensemen (maybe more than any position) there are the handful of Norris candidates, then a handful of others that have a reputation as being solid over time, and then a bunch that slot into that 2 to 4 position that aren't the easiest to quantify or qualify; then there's the cliff drop-off to the rest that fill out a roster. It's probably the reason Zadarov was a hot commodity (as a 4,5 or 6) and will be paid well as a mid-to-lower end D on most teams. Noah is more mobile and less risky, much closer to a top pair guy on most teams, but he has his failings and is inconsistent at times. That said, he would be missed because he is that 2-4 on pretty much any team in the league.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
We literally immediately improved soon after we traded Jbo, and another LHD on our roster proceeded to be recognized as norris caliber soon after.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
We literally immediately improved soon after we traded Jbo, and another LHD on our roster proceeded to be recognized as norris caliber soon after.
Without hesitation, I would bet my entire child’s education fund that the Flames do not get better without Hanifin

Reactions: Lunatik

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I honestly haven’t noticed Lindholm’s absence. Weird season
Don’t know if I said it here or just to my friend, but I never saw him as a loss for Calgary with how he played this year. He was just… there.

Also as another anecdote, but he hasn’t been all that good with the Canucks either. Apparently demoted to the third line, and all the texts I kept getting was “he missed garland who was wide open… AGAIN!” I think he has cost himself a lot of money.

Last edited:

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
If that Flames team showed up like 25% more of the time, we’d be comfortably in a playoff spot.
Honestly, didnt even have to be that.

2 wins against the worst teams in the league (Sharks, Blackhawks) would put us in the wildcard spot right now.

Can only hope the competition with us also have their stinkers against lesser teams. Preds and ducks are today, will be keeping an eye on that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad