Bo Horvat - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
arsmaster said:
Anyways, mike fisher and Dave Legwand are probably the fair expectations, but neither of those players seemed to have the intangibles/winner connotation attached to them like Horvat does.

i dont think thats a particularly useful distinction to attach to someone

We know he plays better in bigger games

is that a thing we know? how do we know that? anticipating what you're going to use to justify it, how do you know its not just an issue with sample size

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Was Horvat okay after blocking that shot against the Czechs?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
i dont think thats a particularly useful distinction to attach to someone

is that a thing we know? how do we know that? anticipating what you're going to use to justify it, how do you know its not just an issue with sample size

Honestly, players like this are pretty hard to project, because most of it comes down to whether they have "it" around the net. Some guys just have that skillset to be 13-15% type shooters because of where they get to on the ice and their hands. Some guys are 10-11% shooters.

If Horvat is the former, he's probably a more proficient 5v4 player and likely has a higher offensive ceiling, but I don't know how comfortable people could be making an assertion one way or another at this point.

In addition, when you see the one-time pass he made into the slot over the weekend at the WJC, you see a player that might have the playmaking ability/vision to be a step above typical 2nd line players. But who knows, really. I get the optimism.

The best reason to be optimistic is that he has the type of skillset that projects to develop in the NHL, because he can be a third/fourth liner as he learns his craft. That could mean we see him sooner than later regardless of his ceiling.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
We made a mistake drafting him over nish, but who cares, he will be a solid 2nd/3rd line center for this team.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Honestly, players like this are pretty hard to project, because most of it comes down to whether they have "it" around the net. Some guys just have that skillset to be 13-15% type shooters because of where they get to on the ice and their hands. Some guys are 10-11% shooters.

If Horvat is the former, he's probably a more proficient 5v4 player and likely has a higher offensive ceiling, but I don't know how comfortable people could be making an assertion one way or another at this point.

In addition, when you see the one-time pass he made into the slot over the weekend at the WJC, you see a player that might have the playmaking ability/vision to be a step above typical 2nd line players. But who knows, really. I get the optimism.

The best reason to be optimistic is that he has the type of skillset that projects to develop in the NHL, because he can be a third/fourth liner as he learns his craft. That could mean we see him sooner than later regardless of his ceiling.

Everyone should read this.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
:laugh: overreaction from one WJC?

It's not just the WJC, It's the size and potential that nish has that horvat does not.

The guy is huge, he skates incredibly well for a big guy, seems to have good hockey IQ. He reminds me of rick nash

The only problem with nish is that he is Russian and might be an ego during contract talk times.

John Bender*

We made a mistake drafting him over nish, but who cares, he will be a solid 2nd/3rd line center for this team.

Really? There is complete conclusive evidence that Nishushkin will be a better pro than Horvat?

What a bizarre proclamation.

John Bender*

It's not just the WJC, It's the size and potential that nish has that horvat does not.

The guy is huge, he skates incredibly well for a big guy, seems to have good hockey IQ. He reminds me of rick nash

The only problem with nish is that he is Russian and might be an ego during contract talk times.

You just described Fedor Fedorov. He had size, and potential.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Nish top end potential = Rick Nash, Burns
Horvat top end potential = Andrew ladd?, Bergeron?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
There should be a moratorium on Nichushkin talk on HF Canucks, particularly if connected to Horvat.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
There should be a moratorium on Nichushkin talk on HF Canucks, particularly if connected to Horvat.

There is. Which brings me to: If you want to discuss Nichushkin, find a thread labeled with his name or use the general purpose 'Around the League' thread. This isn't it. This thread is for discussing Bo Horvat. There have been like a million warnings by now.

(This thread also isn't for discussing Bergeron, Rick Nash, etc.)

sdbullet

Dec 19, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
The only players on the team Canada that have played better to this point are Sam Reinhart and Curtis Lazar.

Horvat is an extremely smart player with great hockey sense, he may not become a top scorer immediately but I feel we have a Jonathon Toews lite type of player. If Toews is an 80 pt player, Horvat will consistently be a 60-70 pt player and also an extremely valuable piece in the playoffs as well.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Have seen maybe 1/2 of the games so far, and I'm wondering if Horvat might be playing sick like some others are. He looks completely gassed after every shift. Maybe his conditioning isn't that great? Maybe skating more on the bigger ice wears him out?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The only players on the team Canada that have played better to this point are Sam Reinhart and Curtis Lazar.

Horvat is an extremely smart player with great hockey sense, he may not become a top scorer immediately but I feel we have a Jonathon Toews lite type of player. If Toews is an 80 pt player, Horvat will consistently be a 60-70 pt player and also an extremely valuable piece in the playoffs as well.

Not to nitpick, but Toews has never actually been an 80 point player, either. He has been at an 80 point pace, though -- last year in the shortened season and to start this year.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Have seen maybe 1/2 of the games so far, and I'm wondering if Horvat might be playing sick like some others are. He looks completely gassed after every shift. Maybe his conditioning isn't that great? Maybe skating more on the bigger ice wears him out?

gassed after one rush up the ice. another "great two-way" player that can't skate.

looks exactly like Hodgson :laugh:

plays with the same lack of intensity all over the ice too..

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

If I had to guess, I would say he's not sick and that it's a conditioning issue. I noticed the same thing in pre-season with the Canucks. I think this is where the 'skating issues' stem from as well - it's not that he can't skate, he just runs out of gas relatively early on in his shifts and labours around the ice for the final 10-20 seconds a lot IMO.

I also wonder if his weight is a bit higher than it should be. Not unlike Kassian was, he could be carrying some bad weight and slim down to increase his quickness.

Everyone has him pencilled in next season on the Canucks but I wouldn't be surprised if his skating and conditioning hold him back and he finds himself back in Juniors for another year. The NHL game moves very quickly...

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
gassed after one rush up the ice. another "great two-way" player that can't skate.

looks exactly like Hodgson :laugh:

plays with the same lack of intensity all over the ice too..

Great insight. He obv sucks. Trade him for pucks while his values high. Oh lord why didn't we take Nichushkin, the greatest player ever to score 7 goals in a half season ...

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Great insight. He obv sucks. Trade him for pucks while his values high. Oh lord why didn't we take Nichushkin, the greatest player ever to score 7 goals in a half season ...

he doesn't suck but it's sort of funny that we draft basically a Hodgson clone after trading him away. Horvat does seem better for the 3rd line role though being so great at face-offs.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
am I the only one who's concerned with Horvat's quickness? It's not just his skating either, he's all around slow with no intensity. His passing and face-off abilities are top notch but other than that it's concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad