Speculation: Blysma

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I wonder why a Stanley cup winning HC would go to a bottom feeder and work under basically a rookie coach. I think he thought Blashill was a lame duck coach

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Have you followed him at all the last few years? He'll be lucky to get a HC job again

This.

Why does it seem like Bylsma gets overrated amongst Red Wings fans... Maybe just looking for a shiny new toy? I don't get it.

Guy MASSIVELY underachieved in Pittsburgh and during his tenure the Pens were absolutely dreadful at developing young talent. Then he was a trainwreck with the Sabres.

The only reason he's here is because the Wings let go of Torchetti and Bylsma worked with Blashill at the WC. That and the paychecks as an NHL assistant coach probably supplement the checks he's still getting from the Sabres better than the ones he got as an NHL Network analyst.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Byslma wasn’t getting a new HC job any time soon, so he took the Wings assistant job to stay close to the game.

My hunch is nothing happens to Blashill’s deal, allowing him to look elsewhere. Bylsma gets the HC job next season, but without any extra years racked onto the deal.

Whatever happens with Yzerman and Holland, the Wings likely treat next season as an organizational reset. Promote the kids to get people into LCA but don’t go out of the way to add costly contracts.

Steve gets the year to do a full evaluation of the organization, and then likely starts to tear down to the studs in the summer of 2020. My assumption is that Dan won’t be a part of the future.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I wonder why a Stanley cup winning HC would go to a bottom feeder and work under basically a rookie coach. I think he thought Blashill was a lame duck coach
Much better to work as an assistant in the NHL then, say, being a head coach in the minors or in the KHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It will fun times when Yzerman takes the control and drags down the Lightning management getting a guy here and there.

Don't see Blashill and Bylsma in here long-term, one bad season for Tampa at 2020-22, and Cooper is fired and at next second he is Red Wings next head coach.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
It will fun times when Yzerman takes the control and drags down the Lightning management getting a guy here and there.

Don't see Blashill and Bylsma in here long-term, one bad season for Tampa at 2020-22, and Cooper is fired and at next second he is Red Wings next head coach.

I could see Lalonde being Yzerman’s choice.

Reactions: Hinterland

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
This.

Why does it seem like Bylsma gets overrated amongst Red Wings fans... Maybe just looking for a shiny new toy? I don't get it.

Guy MASSIVELY underachieved in Pittsburgh and during his tenure the Pens were absolutely dreadful at developing young talent. Then he was a trainwreck with the Sabres.

The only reason he's here is because the Wings let go of Torchetti and Bylsma worked with Blashill at the WC. That and the paychecks as an NHL assistant coach probably supplement the checks he's still getting from the Sabres better than the ones he got as an NHL Network analyst.
He has the same amount of cups as Babcock.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He has the same amount of cups as Babcock.

And more than John Cooper... :sarcasm:

Oh my bad. I forgot that the # of Cups won by Mike Babcock is the benchmark for great coaching. I hope Yzerman is already interviewing Mike Keenan and Marc Crawford for the job.

Seriously though, the Pens underachievement during Bylsma's tenure is hard to argue... After coaching Therrien's team to a Cup, the dude had arguably the best player in the league along with another in the top 5, with a GM that more often than not supplemented the team additional talent at the deadline. Bylsma took that and made it out of the 2nd round once in 5 seasons. The early exits were usually in disastrous fashion too.

Bylsma as HC of the Wings would be really entertaining though. We're talking about a guy that committed the sins that RW fans hated about Babcock and currently hate about Blashill on steriods... Give Bylsma the Red Wings line-up at the beginning of the season and you'd probably have: Abdelkader and Helm never leaving the top 6 regardless of how they perform, Witkowski in the line-up every game, Rasmussen goes back to junior to make room for some Craig Adams and Tanner Glass types who also dress for pretty much every game, the preferred call ups would be the vet grinders in GR, and young guys leashes would be even shorter while vet grinders get lauded even harder while making the same or more mistakes.

I'd save so much money on food because I'd be doing this watching the daily meltdown in here: :popcorn::popcorn:

Reactions: Electric Eric

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He'll stay as a assistant coach, I think Detroit hires someone new, like Sheldon Keefe (Toronto Marlies) or Steve Spott (Ass. Coach with SJ Sharks).

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It makes him better than Blashill for sure.
I'm honestly not sure.

I'm not a Blashill fan by any means but who knows what he'd do with that 2009 Penguins team. Bylsma was their coach for only 25 games before the playoffs started. It's hard to say how much of that was him implementing some great new system and how much was a team waking up because they got their coach fired from underachieving.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Keefe is a great choice.. watched him with the Soo. Implements his style of play and all players buy in.. to be fair he had a GM with the same game plan so from the front office to the ice the style of play translated.

I can see Yzerman thinking the same , problem is the players on our roster with long term contracts don't fit that mold.

Getting Yzerman and Keefe and managing to rid ourselves of the dead weight would be so many steps in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad