Pre-Game Talk: Blues vs Jets Feb 26 7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
He's playing less than 5 minutes a game buried on the 4th line. If you watch the games he's been great on that fourth line being held back by plugs like Peluso.

GM's notoriously struggle with change. Another GM won't take a chance on a guy on waivers unless he is 100% sure for some reason. They are terrified of giving chances, rather go with the proven terrible (see Pavelec, Ondrej). The Jets in particular won't give chances to guys. Don't know why. A chance to prove themselves is all that is needed. But no Halischuk works so hard and has had 50 chances, gotta give him his 51st. And Peluso is a goon gotta have one of those. It's 1998 right?

But it's not obvious they're better players. You just don't like who we have on the 4th. Can't say I blame you.

But by the numbers, it would appear the maligned 4th line guys (who also play 5 minutes and are 'buried' with themselves) have produced at the same, or better rate. In the case of Klingberg, small sample of 12 games, but still. But that small sample, along with TC cuts, says it isn't 'painfully obvious' Klingberg is better than anybody.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
@MitchPeacock1: Wheeler & Ladd absent from #NHLJets practice today. #cbcmb

@NHLJets: .@3ricODell is on the ice with the #NHLJets at practice today! http://t.co/yQnv3vKEoZ

Oh so nice to see that O'dell got to practice with the big boys today :sarcasm:

What's it gonna take to hammer some sense home here. Last night O'dell gets to sit on the bench, Klinger & Peluso get under 4 mins & Slater gets <5. Compared to Dallas who had one player just under 10 mins.

How can a coach who has been this long in the league not realize what this is doing to his better players? Bring up some fresh legs that have earned a tryout & you use them to warm the bench or serve on a line of plugs for less than 4 mins!

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Maurice-pre-game1-300x143.jpg

Blake Wheeler update. Is he surprised that it is a little worse than initially thought? Status of Andrew Ladd? How close is Matt Halischuk? Does the presence of Eric O’Dell mean he can move Byfuglien back to D? Will he play tomorrow night? Has the process changed for inserting an AHL guy into the spot usually reserved for an NHLer? Unloading on the team during a TV timeout. Did he previously use the media to call out a player? What are the keys for going against the Blues? What are the parts of Wheeler’s game that he misses?

To listen click here.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Great so all the hope was for nothing. Neither Klingberg nor O'Dell are going to get a real chance at all. It's sad since it's painfully obvious they are much better players than Thorburn, Galiardi, Peluso, Slater. Buff has to stay forward so the magical pairing of Pardy-Harrison can continue. Awesome.

Yep misuse of players at its finest. I always wondered why a good coach with as much experience as Maurice wasn't coaching in the NHL -- now I'm starting to see why

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Oh so nice to see that O'dell got to practice with the big boys today :sarcasm:

What's it gonna take to hammer some sense home here. Last night O'dell gets to sit on the bench, Klinger & Peluso get under 4 mins & Slater gets <5. Compared to Dallas who had one player just under 10 mins.

How can a coach who has been this long in the league not realize what this is doing to his better players? Bring up some fresh legs that have earned a tryout & you use them to warm the bench or serve on a line of plugs for less than 4 mins!

So in your opinion, in what are becoming must-win divisional games, the Jets should have rolled a 4th line for 10 minutes or so, using two players who haven't played an NHL game yet this year, neither of whom have ever made a training camp cut, and one of whom came off a recent injury?

Do any here actually watch Ice Caps games? Watch these guys play? Can evaluate hockey players on a professional level?

I understand we hate our 4th line players, and I too would like to see O'Dell and Klingberg get utilized more. But I'd like to see the 'I know betta than Mo' routine that's become pervasive here, reeled in a tiny bit.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So in your opinion, in what are becoming must-win divisional games, the Jets should have rolled a 4th line for 10 minutes or so, using two players who haven't played an NHL game yet this year, neither of whom have ever made a training camp cut, and one of whom came off a recent injury?

I agree with this. It's similar to Hutch. He didn't play a lot at first and how hard he worked at practice, plus his game performance earned him what he has now. If those players (O'Dell & Klingberg) are a better option would it not be evident at practice? Isn't that where they really need to earn the trust of the coach and their teammates? I'm not as sure as some of you that they are any better than the players we have now. They need to earn their way.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd very much like for O'Dell to replace Galiardi on the 3rd line at least. Slide Galiardi down to the 4th or flip him to his off wing and keep Klingberg in. I used to really like Peluso but he's become kinda clueless a lot of the time.

And I'd rather have TJ in the lineup than Peluso because he's okay on the PK.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
I agree with this. It's similar to Hutch. He didn't play a lot at first and how hard he worked at practice, plus his game performance earned him what he has now. If those players (O'Dell & Klingberg) are a better option would it not be evident at practice? Isn't that where they really need to earn the trust of the coach and their teammates? I'm not as sure as some of you that they are any better than the players we have now. They need to earn their way.

Thank you. If they were obviously better, then they'd be here.

I'm not going to argue too much about the ability our fourth line. It isn't good. Their ice-time reflects that, and it is very plausible it wears on the other lines.

It's also very plausible, that Maurice knows all this.

But he also knows that the team is in a playoff spot now, got through some rough patches, by doing what they're doing, with these guys.

Is it conservative, and somewhat annoying? Sure, we don't have to like it. I can see reasons why he's doing it though.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yep misuse of players at its finest. I always wondered why a good coach with as much experience as Maurice wasn't coaching in the NHL -- now I'm starting to see why

to be fair, NHL teams usually consist of top 6 forwards for scoring, a 3rd line for some plugging and checking, and a 4th line for hitting and energy. few coaches sway from this tradition, which i always thoughts was stupid (like, why not have an undersized line as your 4th line that can skate and stick handle like the wind and give you instant offence?)

putting o'dell on the 4th line is a horrible fit. kingger on the 4th? i can sort of see it, but who would play centre?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I understand we hate our 4th line players, and I too would like to see O'Dell and Klingberg get utilized more. But I'd like to see the 'I know betta than Mo' routine that's become pervasive here, reeled in a tiny bit.

you mean that we don't know better than an NHL coach that will be up for Coach of the Year consideration?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
to be fair, NHL teams usually consist of top 6 forwards for scoring, a 3rd line for some plugging and checking, and a 4th line for hitting and energy. few coaches sway from this tradition, which i always thoughts was stupid (like, why not have an undersized line as your 4th line that can skate and stick handle like the wind and give you instant offence?)

putting o'dell on the 4th line is a horrible fit. kingger on the 4th? i can sort of see it, but who would play centre?

Not anymore. That is dying pretty much dead nowadays. Hell teams like Florida have 4 lines getting almost exact same minutes. Most teams use a top 9 that can all play and an energy/checking/speed 4th line. Most teams match power for power now (1st line v 1st line).

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Obviously the org. doesn't think much of O'Dell or Klingberg if they are willing to play a guy they scratched often and tried to waive over them. Looking at bodies coming back and youngsters like Petan and Ehlers challenging next year looks like it's last call for these guys.

It would be nice to see O'Dell draw in but with the Tlusty pick up I give it about a snowballs chance in hell of happening.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@friesensunmedia: Tlusty a player tomorrow? "We hope so." -#NHLJets GM

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Obviously the org. doesn't think much of O'Dell or Klingberg if they are willing to play a guy they scratched often and tried to waive over them. Looking at bodies coming back and youngsters like Petan and Ehlers challenging next year looks like it's last call for these guys.

It would be nice to see O'Dell draw in but with the Tlusty pick up I give it about a snowballs chance in hell of happening.

O'Dell is a bit of a head scratcher for me, IMO he would be a perfect 4th line guy he can check like a mofo and pots the occasional goal can't understand how Peluso, Galiardi are above him in the depth chart.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
O'Dell is a bit of a head scratcher for me, IMO he would be a perfect 4th line guy he can check like a mofo and pots the occasional goal can't understand how Peluso, Galiardi are above him in the depth chart.

because you're not at practices or watching all Ice Caps' games?
just sayin'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad