GDT: Blues visit Ducks 8:00 PM ET on 1 - 31 - 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
In terms of pure talent, those teams were actually superior I'd say. Goaltending aside.
on offense they were for sure. 01 you still had kariya-selanne for most of the season with tverdovsky putting up 53 pts. and in 02 guys like cullen, friesen, and leclerc were over 40 pts

this is the worst ducks team offensively i've ever seen

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Id take kariya over anyone on this team

upload_2021-1-31_21-35-38.jpeg

Reactions: Arthuros

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah but I'd still take 01-02 Kariya, Leclerc, Cullen, and Pahlsson over almost every forward on this team. And I'd find room for Tverdovsky and Salei, and not on the bottom pair.

Kariya was among the best players in the league back then. So yeah, I'd take him. Cullen was not better than our current players and Pahlsson was more or less what Grant is for uns now.

Tverdovsky wasn't so special and I was a fan of his. I'd take Lindholm over all D this franchise had not named Nieds or Pronger. Even over Beauch and Vish.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Also, shout out to max jones. He isn't going to be what we hoped on draft night, but he leaves everything on the ice.

What I've learned over the time. Having the heart on the right place will eventually lead to a break out some time.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Not proud of it, but that was the first game this season that I just stopped watching after the 4th Blues goal. It wasn't as bad as the previous game though, this team just doesn't have any offense.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
BM ran this franchise into the ground.

Teams have ups and downs. Can't stay competitive every season. Getzlaf has grown old, Perry grew old and almost useless, Kesler's injuries harmed him greatly, Eaves who was great fit unfortunately had health issues as well. None of those are Murray's fault. He is not perfect and I think that his time as a GM should be coming to an end because some of his methods have become old.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Nope, it is the quite normal downtime after a decade of being among the better teams. This is a quite normal cycle.

It's not about the team declining, that's normal. It's about BM not doing **** to rebuild, or even to re-tool. We continue to rely on the same core, while their value continues to decrease. The rookies we bring in are surrounded by uninspired veterans, a GM who doesn't care to shake things up and owners who doesn't care to fire the GM.

At this point in time, can anyone bring up a valid reason as to why any free agent would want to sign in Anaheim, except for the beaches and palm trees? When Kevin Shattenkirk wanted to sign with this tire fire of a team, just having won the Stanley Cup, it begs the question "why?". Did he sign here to win another cup? Or to collect some easy paychecks in sunny California before he retires?

BM has been quoated saying he wanted to make a Pronger like trade when the time was right. He missed that train, and under his tenure we have no cup, no longer any star players, and not a very promising future. We are playing the waiting game and hoping Zegras and Drysdale can lift this organization, but those are picks any GM could have made with our scouting department, and thus I'm not giving BM any credit.

Kariya was among the best players in the league back then. So yeah, I'd take him. Cullen was not better than our current players and Pahlsson was more or less what Grant is for uns now.

Tverdovsky wasn't so special and I was a fan of his. I'd take Lindholm over all D this franchise had not named Nieds or Pronger. Even over Beauch and Vish.

Cullen was better than anyone not named Silfverberg, Rakell and Henrique. And if we're going just by this season so far, he was better than all of them. I love Grant, but he can't be compared to Pahlsson, at all. One was a Selke finalist and the other doesn't come remotely close. Beauch and Vish weren't here in the early 2000's so comparing them to Lindholm is a moot point.

Say what you want about those 90's and early 00's Mighty Ducks teams, they obviously reliaed on Paul, Teemu and Jiggy a ton, but the supporting cast also had a ton of character which this roster is lacking. Those teams had a clear identity and if you were gonna beat them you'd have to work for it.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
BM not doing **** to rebuild, or even to re-tool.

I don't understand that. He tried to get a 2nd firstrounder in 3 of the last 5 years. He traded for prospects.

BM has been quoated saying he wanted to make a Pronger like trade when the time was right.

You always need two sides for a trade. BM made big trades - Kesler was a key piece for the 2nd cup. Did not work out. That happens.

Pahlsson was a Selke caliber player for how long? 2 seasons, maybe 3. He was a offensive dark hole.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I don't understand that. He tried to get a 2nd firstrounder in 3 of the last 5 years. He traded for prospects.
Fowler, Rakell, Silfverberg, Manson and Lindholm has been around for 7-10 years. Henrique is also starting his 4th season in Anaheim and has several years remaining on his contract. Despite underwhelming results, the core has stayed intact.

You always need two sides for a trade. BM made big trades - Kesler was a key piece for the 2nd cup. Did not work out. That happens.

Let me re-phrase: BM has been quoted saying he wants to add a #1 one defenseman when the time is right, similar to when Burke acquired Pronger. Kesler was a big add, but he's no defenseman. BM has had plenty of assets to pull off a similar trade, but failed to do so and now the window is closed.

Pahlsson was a Selke caliber player for how long? 2 seasons, maybe 3. He was a offensive dark hole.

Well, you're the one who brought up Pahlsson, so it makes sense to compare them while he was in his prime. Between 2003-2007, Pahlsson was one of the best third line centers in the league. He didn't need to score more than he did, because he stopped the opposition from scoring.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
3-5-2 on the worst offense in the league, playing 6 out of the first 10 games against the top teams of the west (the actual western conference and not this debacle sorry excuse of a season with these horrible divisions) with 2 of those teams who they struggle against had to play 4 times already.

I mean really can’t be shocked with the results in standings. What I’m surprised with is how bad the scoring has become. Didn’t think it would be worse.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
3-5-2 on the worst offense in the league, playing 6 out of the first 10 games against the top teams of the west (the actual western conference and not this debacle sorry excuse of a season with these horrible divisions) with 2 of those teams who they struggle against had to play 4 times already.

I mean really can’t be shocked with the results in standings. What I’m surprised with is how bad the scoring has become. Didn’t think it would be worse.
We also got power play goals in 2 of the last 3 games after getting none before that, and somehow our overall offense got even worse.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Just realized we got out scored 10-2 by a team missing their best scorer

The blues will be going on another deep run if they can get Tarasenko healthy and playing well

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I've been hoping for a full rebuild for quite some time since our product is lower than mediocre (Gibby aside). Well, let's enjoy another wasted season and yet no top 3 pick...

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've been hoping for a full rebuild for quite some time since our product is lower than mediocre (Gibby aside). Well, let's enjoy another wasted season and yet no top 3 pick...

Wouldn’t even call this a season what they are playing. It’s messed up as it is and just looking ahead to Oct to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad