Blues Trade Round Table

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I agree with most of what was said. There isn't an obvious spot that really needs an upgrade (not counting injury fill in for 22). There isn't an obvious player that we should be targeting.

The 2 things I disagreed with are burning Rattie to acquire Petry and that Yandle could be had for the guys you mentioned. But other than that I agree mostly.

Art Lippo

Dec 30, 2014
I agree with most of what was said. There isn't an obvious spot that really needs an upgrade (not counting injury fill in for 22). There isn't an obvious player that we should be targeting.

The 2 things I disagreed with are burning Rattie to acquire Petry and that Yandle could be had for the guys you mentioned. But other than that I agree mostly.

I did the Yandle one and it bothered me big time. Mostly because I had a Franson piece already written and had to scrap it and make up something new at the deadline. I personally think that 22 is in worse shape than we're led to believe. So there might be a more pressing need for someone that can log heavier minutes

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I did the Yandle one and it bothered me big time. Mostly because I had a Franson piece already written and had to scrap it and make up something new at the deadline. I personally think that 22 is in worse shape than we're led to believe. So there might be a more pressing need for someone that can log heavier minutes

At this point I don't think we are gonna make a big splash, so if we do anything I would think it would be somebody like Petry or Zidlicky. I'm secretly hoping for Timonen. But I wouldn't give Rattie for any of them.

Art Lippo

Dec 30, 2014
At this point I don't think we are gonna make a big splash, so if we do anything I would think it would be somebody like Petry or Zidlicky. I'm secretly hoping for Timonen. But I wouldn't give Rattie for any of them.

Do you think Rattie's value might be at it's peak this year? I think his value drops the minute Fabbri and Barbashev gets on the scene

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think Rattie's value us affected by either of those 2. They are just more valuable.

What would lead you to think Shattenkirk is worse off? Honestly all signs point to a speedy recovery. If management had doubts that he would return. I think we would have already seen a move

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Do you think Rattie's value might be at it's peak this year? I think his value drops the minute Fabbri and Barbashev gets on the scene

I think his value is much more dictated by how he plays and by the needs of the interested team than by the potential logjam for the Blues.

Art Lippo

Dec 30, 2014
I don't think Rattie's value us affected by either of those 2. They are just more valuable.

What would lead you to think Shattenkirk is worse off? Honestly all signs point to a speedy recovery. If management had doubts that he would return. I think we would have already seen a move

What is considered a speedy recovery for an injury like that? And that doesn't ensure he will be anywhat 100% by playoffs.

I disagree on seeing a move right away. Price and needs change. Plus needing to see what they had with certain players taking on bigger roles. Food for thought.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What is considered a speedy recovery for an injury like that? And that doesn't ensure he will be anywhat 100% by playoffs.

I disagree on seeing a move right away. Price and needs change. Plus needing to see what they had with certain players taking on bigger roles. Food for thought.
4-6 weeks. Unless he has a setback, that's enough time to get up to speed for the playoffs. I'm still betting on a hernia, I've had 2 of them and at no point should it end his season. But with basically no concrete info...my guess is as good as anybodies.

As for why I think a move would have been made already. We've seen our defense shuffled around outside of Gunn-Bo when both of those guys were out. I don't think we've learned anything new. Cole hasn't exactly played himself off the roster imo. So it may be hard to justify bringing in someone like Petry or Zidlicky and moving Cole to the press box.

Art Lippo

Dec 30, 2014
4-6 weeks. Unless he has a setback, that's enough time to get up to speed for the playoffs. I'm still betting on a hernia, I've had 2 of them and at no point should it end his season. But with basically no concrete info...my guess is as good as anybodies.

As for why I think a move would have been made already. We've seen our defense shuffled around outside of Gunn-Bo when both of those guys were out. I don't think we've learned anything new. Cole hasn't exactly played himself off the roster imo. So it may be hard to justify bringing in someone like Petry or Zidlicky and moving Cole to the press box.

I had an injury that looked similar to his and wished it was just a hernia. I had some muscle tears around the pelvic bones and it gave me fits for a while. Hope it's minor. Not having a 1st really hampers the activity as well

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Nobody really knows exactly what Shattenkirk's injury was. Everything we're talking about is pure speculation. Personally, I like the Zidlicky Idea regardless of Shatty's time table for return .

TuukYou14

Pro: Forum Lurking
Aug 6, 2009
Saint Louis
I had an injury that looked similar to his and wished it was just a hernia. I had some muscle tears around the pelvic bones and it gave me fits for a while. Hope it's minor. Not having a 1st really hampers the activity as well

Shattenkirk was on 105.7 the point yesterday morning, and described what happened during the injury. He said he knew right away, and "felt the muscles tear off the bone." Didn't get into details on what bone, what muscles, but those words came out of his mouth.

From a healing standpoint, he said he's only 2 weeks off of surgery but feels pretty good, and expects a mid-march return (i could only keep my fingers crossed we could get him back that soon).

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Shattenkirk was on 105.7 the point yesterday morning, and described what happened during the injury. He said he knew right away, and "felt the muscles tear off the bone." Didn't get into details on what bone, what muscles, but those words came out of his mouth.

From a healing standpoint, he said he's only 2 weeks off of surgery but feels pretty good, and expects a mid-march return (i could only keep my fingers crossed we could get him back that soon).

From his description, mid-March seems like an optimistic timeline. The flip side is that teams are naturally hesitant to take risks with injuries like that as not letting it heal properly can cause long term issues. Of course, we took a big risk with Oshie in the playoffs a couple of years ago...

TuukYou14

Pro: Forum Lurking
Aug 6, 2009
Saint Louis
From his description, mid-March seems like an optimistic timeline. The flip side is that teams are naturally hesitant to take risks with injuries like that as not letting it heal properly can cause long term issues. Of course, we took a big risk with Oshie in the playoffs a couple of years ago...

...and backes last year. he looked like a wreck walking out of the locker room that first game he came back.

I was lucky enough to be invited by a friend to the sub zero lounge prior to that game, and it wasn't pretty. Security even came out before the game and yelled at everyone in the stands, telling them not to even think about patting anyone on the heads on the way out to the ice. My wife looked at me (and this was prior to anyone knowing if he would play or not) and said "what the hell was that about, that guy is a d***." I didn't process it at the time, but realized after he walked out of the locker room, security was just protecting backes.

Apr 28, 2013
St. Louis

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I'd say ideally let him rest as long as possible, and then bring him back around the beginning of April to get a handful of games under his belt before the playoffs start.

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
I love how the Blues losses show problems with the team according to Buffa. Were they supposed to go undefeated this season? Even though I agree Jagr would be a nice upgrade, I disagree that Berglund has been "useless". Too much stat line watching.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I wouldn't mind if the Blues stood pat this year. I think this core needs to show what they can do as is before we give up more future pieces for a playoff push. Looking at the big picture, I like where the Blues stand as an organization just with the key current players and prospects they have that are 26 and younger. I think it would be wise to go into the playoffs as is and decide in the summer who should be shipped out rather than guessing on who we should bring in right now.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Had a mini round table to discuss some trade options. 2015 deadline is brutal because the names out there don't match the Blues immediate needs and no one can stomach another Doug Armstrong 5% improvement trade. Give me some ideas folks and I will have another deadline edition soon!

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/02/st-louis-blues-trade-deadline-round-table/

We have a dedicated thread for Blues trade discussion. You can find most of our ideas there, in painful detail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad