Blues Trade Proposals Part XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not sure how much sense Drouin makes. The asset cost is going to be high, he needs a new contract and has an agent who likes to stir the pot and he is primarily a LW. If we view him, or Fabbri, as a centre going forward then it starts to make a lot more sense.

I'm not really sure who else we could be interested in. Tyler Johnson makes sense from our perspective, but how available is he realistically going to be after they moved Filppula?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Completely agree that we have absolutely 0 need for a Left Wing. With that being said, we definitely have a surplus there. If we can move one for a RW and I believe that's what everyone was saying in a Fabbri/Drouin trade it does make sense. We have a point production gap at RW2 that is sort of a problem. Don't get me wrong for what else besides point production Perron brings to the table he is in no way a liability there but the Blues seem to struggle with point production outside of Steen/Schwartz/Tank. Granted that with Fabbri's season being shortened it's kind of hard to tell what kind of complete impact he could have had to the point production.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm with Celtic on this one. Center is by far the most important need. A good 2nd line center will improve the production of the wings we have now. Perron is a 2nd/3rd line Tweener.

Let's just imagine our dream scenario of Tavares. He other gels with Tarasenko for a monster first line with a strong 2nd line. Or you split them up and teams pick their poison between Steen - Stasnty - Tarasneko and Fabbri - Tavares - Perron. Even if we just get another Stastny level player, Schwartz - Stastny1 - Perron had chemistry early and would be a good 2nd line with Fabbri - Stastny2 - Tarasenko at the top.

But Drouin as a 2nd line RW doesn't make Berglund or Lehtera a 2C. They have tried them both with Tarasenko and it didn't elevate them enough to justify top 6 time. The position is too important (more so than wing) and they are too far removed from being 2nd line caliber to justify giving them that time. Perron on the other hand is closer to that skill-level and can be carried by a strong LW-C.

Edit: If there is a way to get Drouin and Top 6 C. I am down. I just don't see that as likely given our cap/roster structure going into next year. C is our priority. Once we get that or give it up as impossible, then we look at RW/LD. But even if we get Drouin, if we fail to get a C, it will be a failure overall IMO.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Two thoughts on the whole Fabbri/Drouin thing.

1. I don't think we need to go out and trade Fabbri (LW) to bring in Drouin (RW) when Fabbri could be completely comfortable playing on his off-wing. Just move Fabbri to RW if that's the problem you're trying to solve with respect to our LW/RW balance.

2. Case in point - Brayden Point. TB moved him into the lineup at C, maybe before he was really ready for it, and he adapted and has been playing wonderfully. Now, this move was made more out of need, but what's to stop Yeo and his staff from plopping Fabbri into the C role from the start of training camp and giving him 20-30 games to get acclimated? I'm not suggesting that this is the best way to solve our C problem, but if you already have a guy that can make you better up the middle -AND- you have the winger depth to slide someone else in at LW in the Top 9, why wouldn't you at least try to do so?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Drouin seems to have been playing RW for the majority of the season.

He can play there, but it isn't his natural position. As MissouriMook says, we could play Fabbri on the RW and he would do a job. I'd love to get Drouin, but my issue would be paying a premium price

If we viewed Drouin or Fabbri as a top-6 centre going forward, then that would completely change the dynamic for me. We could afford to take more of a risk with the trade.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He can play there, but it isn't his natural position. As MissouriMook says, we could play Fabbri on the RW and he would do a job. I'd love to get Drouin, but my issue would be paying a premium price

If we viewed Drouin or Fabbri as a top-6 centre going forward, then that would completely change the dynamic for me. We could afford to take more of a risk with the trade.

Difference is Drouin has legitimately played significant time at RW in the NHL, Fabbri has only played a little. Steen has generally been the one to lineup there, and he is more effective on the left side as well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Two thoughts on the whole Fabbri/Drouin thing.

1. I don't think we need to go out and trade Fabbri (LW) to bring in Drouin (RW) when Fabbri could be completely comfortable playing on his off-wing. Just move Fabbri to RW if that's the problem you're trying to solve with respect to our LW/RW balance.

2. Case in point - Brayden Point. TB moved him into the lineup at C, maybe before he was really ready for it, and he adapted and has been playing wonderfully. Now, this move was made more out of need, but what's to stop Yeo and his staff from plopping Fabbri into the C role from the start of training camp and giving him 20-30 games to get acclimated? I'm not suggesting that this is the best way to solve our C problem, but if you already have a guy that can make you better up the middle -AND- you have the winger depth to slide someone else in at LW in the Top 9, why wouldn't you at least try to do so?

Lots of assumptions in your 2nd point. Point was always a center, and it was never a given that Fabbri would be a center. Point is comparable to Barbashev in how they've been brought along, so we'll see if Barbashev can make strides like Point did.

If Fabbri had a strong case to be center, he would've been tried there before. I don't think it's likely that he ever makes that transition.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I'm with Celtic on this one. Center is by far the most important need. A good 2nd line center will improve the production of the wings we have now. Perron is a 2nd/3rd line Tweener.

Let's just imagine our dream scenario of Tavares. He other gels with Tarasenko for a monster first line with a strong 2nd line. Or you split them up and teams pick their poison between Steen - Stasnty - Tarasneko and Fabbri - Tavares - Perron. Even if we just get another Stastny level player, Schwartz - Stastny1 - Perron had chemistry early and would be a good 2nd line with Fabbri - Stastny2 - Tarasenko at the top.

But Drouin as a 2nd line RW doesn't make Berglund or Lehtera a 2C. They have tried them both with Tarasenko and it didn't elevate them enough to justify top 6 time. The position is too important (more so than wing) and they are too far removed from being 2nd line caliber to justify giving them that time. Perron on the other hand is closer to that skill-level and can be carried by a strong LW-C.

Edit: If there is a way to get Drouin and Top 6 C. I am down. I just don't see that as likely given our cap/roster structure going into next year. C is our priority. Once we get that or give it up as impossible, then we look at RW/LD. But even if we get Drouin, if we fail to get a C, it will be a failure overall IMO.

Where is Barbashev in any of these scenarios?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Why don't we pick a center that's on par with Drouin instead of Tavares. Of course Tavares makes his wingers better, but a guy like Johnson would not. That's the difference between elite level talent and just very good talent, position has nothing to do with it. Just because Tarasenko doesn't elevate the production of his centers, doesn't mean no other wingers can.

Kane and Panarin have make Anisimov look much better than he really is. He wouldn't be at a 57 point 82 game pace with them.

Kane or Panarin are more similar to Tavares and if they played with Berglund, Bergy would definitely have much higher production.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Lots of assumptions in your 2nd point. Point was always a center, and it was never a given that Fabbri would be a center. Point is comparable to Barbashev in how they've been brought along, so we'll see if Barbashev can make strides like Point did.

If Fabbri had a strong case to be center, he would've been tried there before. I don't think it's likely that he ever makes that transition.

Could be more mentality of the coaching staff. Tampa doesn't seem to have a problem with undersized centers. Fabbri had, what...2 games with Yeo(used Granlund at center) before he was injured. Every year they talk about using Fabbri at center but something not made public derailed it. This injury could set him back again, but I'd like to see the new coaching staff fully implimented before writing Fabbri off as a centerman.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Could be more mentality of the coaching staff. Tampa doesn't seem to have a problem with undersized centers. Fabbri had, what...2 games with Yeo(used Granlund at center) before he was injured. Every year they talk about using Fabbri at center but something not made public derailed it. This injury could set him back again, but I'd like to see the new coaching staff fully implimented before writing Fabbri off as a centerman.

They really haven't talked about Fabbri at center, at training camp it was Steen, Schwartz, and Jaskin getting looks. Also kind of funny that Granlund didn't breakout until he got moved to wing, and now he's on track for over 70 points.

It's easy as fans to say Fabbri can play center, but until that even starts to happen, we shouldn't expect it to. It's not even like Giroux before he made his full-time switch from wing where he got looks at center and took some faceoffs, Fabbri has purely been a wing here.

Hitch had no problem with Sobotka playing center, so it's not a size issue. We've given Schwartz plenty of looks at center, so no size issue there.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Why don't we pick a center that's on par with Drouin instead of Tavares. Of course Tavares makes his wingers better, but a guy like Johnson would not. That's the difference between elite level talent and just very good talent, position has nothing to do with it. Just because Tarasenko doesn't elevate the production of his centers, doesn't mean no other wingers can.

Kane and Panarin have make Anisimov look much better than he really is. He wouldn't be at a 57 point 82 game pace with them.

Kane or Panarin are more similar to Tavares and if they played with Berglund, Bergy would definitely have much higher production.

Johnson is also on a completely different level than anything we have outside of Stastny and I would argue he is better than him by a decent amount as well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Johnson is also on a completely different level than anything we have outside of Stastny and I would argue he is better than him by a decent amount as well.

Yeah, but that wasn't my point.

I would love to acquire Johnson, I'm not saying I prefer Drouin over Johnson and I'm not taking JR at his word that our target is Drouin instead of Johnson.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
They really haven't talked about Fabbri at center, at training camp it was Steen, Schwartz, and Jaskin getting looks. Also kind of funny that Granlund didn't breakout until he got moved to wing, and now he's on track for over 70 points.

It's easy as fans to say Fabbri can play center, but until that even starts to happen, we shouldn't expect it to. It's not even like Giroux before he made his full-time switch from wing where he got looks at center and took some faceoffs, Fabbri has purely been a wing here.

Hitch had no problem with Sobotka playing center, so it's not a size issue. We've given Schwartz plenty of looks at center, so no size issue there.
They specifically said that Fabbri would spend time at center during training camp. Again, there's been no public reason given as to Fabbri being stapled to the wing. Fabbri will he effective regardless of where he plays.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They specifically said that Fabbri would spend time at center during training camp. Again, there's been no public reason given as to Fabbri being stapled to the wing. Fabbri will he effective regardless of where he plays.

I don't recall, but fair enough, I probably just don't remember. There is no reason to say he'll only be a winger, but even moreso, there is not real reason to believe he will transfer to center or that he will be effective in that transition.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't recall, but fair enough, I probably just don't remember. There is no reason to say he'll only be a winger, but even moreso, there is not real reason to believe he will transfer to center or that he will be effective in that transition.

Yea im not going to search for it, I think an injury to someone else sidelined it and it was never visited again. Unless Fabbri has privately told them he doesn't want to play center, I would be disappointed if they dont plan to at least try him there. He's everything you want in a center outside of being a micro machine.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Yeah, but that wasn't my point.

I would love to acquire Johnson, I'm not saying I prefer Drouin over Johnson and I'm not taking JR at his word that our target is Drouin instead of Johnson.

What I was getting at is that guys like Lethera and Berglund aren't going to elevate much, because they are not the kind of centers that are flexible. Johnson on the other hand isn't a one trick pony. He can help elevate the play of his whole line, like Stastny, but better. Lethera can't shoot and it's easy easy to defend. Berglund can only shoot. He doesn't help his wingers score more. Barbashev can do both but has limited potential. Stastny is on the down swing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What I was getting at is that guys like Lethera and Berglund aren't going to elevate much, because they are not the kind of centers that are flexible. Johnson on the other hand isn't a one trick pony. He can help elevate the play of his whole line, like Stastny, but better. Lethera can't shoot and it's easy easy to defend. Berglund can only shoot. He doesn't help his wingers score more. Barbashev can do both but has limited potential. Stastny is on the down swing.

I don't disagree, I'd love to add Johnson. I also think Drouin would be a quality add. We don't know which one Tampa will make available, and I doubt we get to make that choice.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Ok, I get we are likely after Drouin, but who is Tampa after. If they are scouting us still, it can't be Fabbri as he is out. Seems like some pone from the big team, so who do you think it is.

I think Schwartz will be to costly, I would think they would want d and low cost. Joel Edmundson? Is that something we really want to do? What are your thoughts.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
MortiestofMorties
" guess it depends on how you feel about Toews/Handzus/Shaw/Kruger as center depth. Or Toews/Richards/Shaw/Vermette. Toews is obviously, clearly a step above anything we've got at center, but I still might take Stastny/Barbashev/Berglund/Brodziak over either of those quartets. I think it's pretty obvious that the Blackhawks have won on the backs of their wingers, defensemen, and goalies though."

I would take Toews over any thing we have at center and be ok plugging the other spots with lesser players. Your top two lines are way more important than your bottom two. I would much rather have a #1 C then a bunch of middle six depth.

Chicago wins on the backs of their best players and Toews is in the top there of their top players.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Ok, I get we are likely after Drouin, but who is Tampa after. If they are scouting us still, it can't be Fabbri as he is out.

I was thinking this as well, and honestly i don't even have a good guess since Schmaltz hasn't been playing much at all.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Why does Barbashev have limited potential? He is only 20. I think he will likely top out as a second line center but he plays a very mature game defensively for his age and he can provide offense.

As for raising their game, berglund has done a great job of that in his playoff career. It will be interesting to see of he can elevate it this year or if he is playing at the highest level he can.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ok, I get we are likely after Drouin, but who is Tampa after. If they are scouting us still, it can't be Fabbri as he is out. Seems like some pone from the big team, so who do you think it is.

I think Schwartz will be to costly, I would think they would want d and low cost. Joel Edmundson? Is that something we really want to do? What are your thoughts.
Not too much makes sense for Drouin. My main concern is how will he be used. We have a boring fairly stagnant offensive system (at least it looks that way) Would a guy like Drouin be shackled here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad