Blues Trade Proposals Part XXIV

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Who plays center for us next year if Backes doesn't resign? Has Steen played well enough to fill Backes' skates?

I doubt we'll see Backes return next season, and that's for the best.

Armstrong appears to be looking towards a trade. We had an interest in Johansen, although it doesn't appear we were particularly aggressive, and we've had an interest in Drouin. While Drouin has played wing in Tampa, and in his draft year, most scouts viewed him as a centre in the NHL.

We'll go after Stamkos if he reaches FA, but I highly doubt that'll happen. We do have an interest in some KHL players, but they would be coming in on low money and I highly doubt we'd look to rely on anyone like that.

If we don't get anyone then I think Fabbri is going to get a look in preseason. If that doesn't work then we'll likely have at least one of Berglund and Sobotka.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
So if the Blues end up trading 1 of the 3 young offensive defensemen, which 2 would you like to see kept.

For me it's Schmaltz and Dunn over Walman.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
One concern(among many) I have with letting Backes go is the lack of a quality net front presence on the roster. Going from Backes, who is one of the best net front presences in the league, to someone like Berglund or Jaskin is going to hurt the powerplay.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I doubt we'll see Backes return next season, and that's for the best.

Armstrong appears to be looking towards a trade. We had an interest in Johansen, although it doesn't appear we were particularly aggressive, and we've had an interest in Drouin. While Drouin has played wing in Tampa, and in his draft year, most scouts viewed him as a centre in the NHL.

We'll go after Stamkos if he reaches FA, but I highly doubt that'll happen. We do have an interest in some KHL players, but they would be coming in on low money and I highly doubt we'd look to rely on anyone like that.

If we don't get anyone then I think Fabbri is going to get a look in preseason. If that doesn't work then we'll likely have at least one of Berglund and Sobotka.

I really doubt that The Blues will go with Stastny, Lehterä, and Berglund as their Top 3 centres next season, if Fabbri isn't ready to play centre in The NHL. They will use the newly-made cap room to trade for or sign nother Top 6 centre.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I really doubt that The Blues will go with Stastny, Lehterä, and Berglund as their Top 3 centres next season, if Fabbri isn't ready to play centre in The NHL. They will use the newly-made cap room to trade for or sign nother Top 6 centre.

If we are talking about the end of next season, I agree. However, I don't think we'll be worried with starting the season with Berglund/Sobotka in that role if it comes to it. I wouldn't be surprised if we start negotiations about a player in the summer and it doesn't get done until mid-season. It depends what the trade market is like.

As for FA, I suspect it will come down to contract expectations. Outside Stamkos, who is extremely unlikely, there isn't really anyone.

So if the Blues end up trading 1 of the 3 young offensive defensemen, which 2 would you like to see kept.

Schmaltz and Walman. I've seen very little of Dunn though, so he might well be ahead of Walman.

I really think Schmaltz is seriously underrated around here.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Schmaltz for sure. I'm not sure between Dunn and Walman for the other as I haven't seen either of them enough to get a grasp of their skills.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I wonder what our deadline strategy is now. We have some holes now with Steen gone. But we don't have that many obvious trade chips.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I wonder what our deadline strategy is now. We have some holes now with Steen gone. But we don't have that many obvious trade chips.

Armstrong won't be able to evaluate the team until Steen returns.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Humor aside, Armstrong is in a tricky position.

I simply hope that the Blues are at least granted a healthy roster entering the post-season. It could be a shock to all of us, to see what a healthy Blues roster looks like after a few days to practice together. It would be nice to unleash the hounds on someone in the first round, but also feels like a hopeful fantasy.

If Jaskin is ever going to show up this season, now is the time.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
For as much as people love to complain about Armstrong, you'd think he'd get credit for not making a panic trade in response to what's happened this year.

But then I forgot, Army can't do anything right.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
For as much as people love to complain about Armstrong, you'd think he'd get credit for not making a panic trade in response to what's happened this year.

Army is here to burn your village

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Wait... so you're saying it's reached the point where we should just be happy when Armstrong doesn't make terrible trades? :sarcasm:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Schmaltz and Walman. Schmaltz is having a great first pro season and has really turned up the production.

I will take Walman over Dunn, I am far more impressed with what he is doing over what Dunn is doing.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Humor aside, Armstrong is in a tricky position.

I simply hope that the Blues are at least granted a healthy roster entering the post-season. It could be a shock to all of us, to see what a healthy Blues roster looks like after a few days to practice together. It would be nice to unleash the hounds on someone in the first round, but also feels like a hopeful fantasy.

If Jaskin is ever going to show up this season, now is the time.

I almost wonder if Rattie will be called up instead. Jaskin is lacking confidence and maybe an extended stint in the minors will allow him to regain his form.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

How can we give credit on a trade that we have no idea the details of? For all we know maybe Armstrong could have pulled the trigger on a trade earlier this year that we would have ended up winning but he insisted on being patient. If you're assuming it would have been a panic trade that we would have lost, then what does that say about your opinion of Armstrong's abilities?

Now you're gonna say I'm hating on him again but no, that's just the truth. You can't give someone credit for something when we have no idea what types of trades have even been available. That's just trying too hard to look for something positive, IMO.

I would like to acquire someone now because I don't want to be one injury away from Paajarvi seeing fairly significant time in the playoffs.

As for the defensive prospects, you keep Dunn easily. I don't really care who is traded between Schmaltz and Walman that much, but I'd probably keep Schmaltz.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
If we are talking about the end of next season, I agree. However, I don't think we'll be worried with starting the season with Berglund/Sobotka in that role if it comes to it. I wouldn't be surprised if we start negotiations about a player in the summer and it doesn't get done until mid-season. It depends what the trade market is like.

As for FA, I suspect it will come down to contract expectations. Outside Stamkos, who is extremely unlikely, there isn't really anyone.

Schmaltz and Walman. I've seen very little of Dunn though, so he might well be ahead of Walman.

I really think Schmaltz is seriously underrated around here.
I rate Dunn and Walman higher because they seem to have more well-rounded games. Dunn may not have a tremendous physical game, but he seems to hold his own in puck battles, and his superb smooth and fast skating gets him out of trouble and wins races to the puck. He also has super offensive sense and reads plays very well, and sees the ice extremely well. All those qualities are ahead of Schmaltz, even admitting that Schmaltz's offensive skills are very good.

Walman likes to hit and is improving on his defensive awareness and positioning, becoming a 2-way player. He has great offensive sense, skates well, has a super shot. He will be a scorer, but already is developing a 2-way game. So, I'm pretty confident both he ans Dunn will be effective not only in The AHL, but in The NHL as well.

Schmaltz currently is still losing a lot more puck battles than he wins. He's a long way from being strong enough. He doesn't do very well when physical pressure comes upon him. Watch some Wolves' games. Read some of Chicago Blues and other reports by Blues fans who post on our "All Things AHL thread". They will tell you the same things.

This is not to say that Schmaltz doesn't have a good upside. But, he needs to get a lot stronger, confidence in that strength and in embracing the physical game, and improving his overall defensive game. Both Dunn and Walman are ahead of him in those areas, in their individual ways. Unfortunately, Walman is out probably for the rest or most of the rest of the regular season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Can somebody kidnap Army and release him after TDL?

I hate to see if Schmaltz or picks will be blowed for rental.

Army please don't do anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad