Blues Trade Proposals Part XXIII

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I know we just lost to the Blackhawks, so I understand where all the doom and gloom is coming from. Claiming that it's so obvious that this team is worse than last year is just false - at best it's debatable.

But whatever. I'm sure it hurts a lot less when the Blues loses to just act as if they never had a chance.

Do you think this just sort of sprung up? Everyone has been saying this for over a month now. A few wins or losses doesn't change anything. This team isn't better than the one that got embarrassed by the Wild last year.

The coach openly doesn't have an idea of what to do. The team gets less zone time consistently. They have had more trouble scoring and have given up more goals in the regular season. They have by far the worst goal differential of any hitch era team. At the healthiest they've been, they have played their worst hockey. I just don't understand how you can just ignore these things and act like everything is fine.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The nature of the playoffs, any team that's in there can catch lightning in a bottle under the right circumstances. So in that sense the Blues have a chance just like any other team. There is enough talent on the team that a hot goalie, a Tarasenko rush, the Blues could do something. There are no absolutes, even though as a Blues fan it feels like their futility is an absolute.

So I won't root for them to lose until they're mathematically eliminated, in which case I'll hope for the best draft pick. But I have no illusions about their chances.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I know we just lost to the Blackhawks, so I understand where all the doom and gloom is coming from. Claiming that it's so obvious that this team is worse than last year is just false - at best it's debatable.

But whatever. I'm sure it hurts a lot less when the Blues loses to just act as if they never had a chance.
It's not debatable. Not only do they have less points than they did last year, it's already been pointed out that their goal differential is much worse. Furthermore, our shot differential is a lot worse. The Blues are averaging 30 shots per game AND 30 shots against per game. In past years, the Blues would only be allowing ~26 shots per game... even as few as 24 in 2013. They were one of the best teams in the league at that.

What exactly is their identity? They are no longer a stifling defensive team. They are way too passive in fact. They are no longer a heavy forechecking team. Only a couple players even fit that bill now. They are not some relentless, high-energy team. They come out flat in the first period the vast majority of the time, even in games they win.

It's such a bland hockey team. I can't think of that many things they do extremely well aside from kill penalties and maybe make good outlet passes but that's only because they are lucky to have two of the best d-men in the league at that. It's not like the forwards even take advantage of it though so it's pretty much moot. So they are a good penalty killing team... Lol. Awesome. Their powerplay isn't even good.

It's the same roster except for replacing Jackman, Michalek/Cole, Oshie, Goc with Parayko, Edmundson, Brouwer, Fabbri, Brodziak. That's not even counting the players on the roster (Backes, Jaskin) who have probably gotten worse from last year, and really nobody has improved. Lehtera/Stastny are the same.

In the long run, yes, replacing Jackman/Michalek/Oshie with Parayko/Edmundson/Fabbri may make us better. But not this season. Relying on three rookies to be the difference is a very bold strategy in the playoffs, and one that isn't likely to work. As for the rest, are you really counting on depth guys to be the difference? Brodziak, Upshall, Goc... those guys really don't matter that much and they were never the problem to begin with. It doesn't matter what 4th line the Blues ice. They can't score. You literally are taking a roster that had huge troubles scoring and replacing Oshie with a worse player in Brouwer and sprinkling in a few rookies in place of veterans. And you also have a head coach who pretty much refuses to change his ways and always gets outcoached in the playoffs. Why would anyone be optimistic about that combination?

Last edited:

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
In a sense, hopefully the regular season dominance the Blues have showed in the past led to their downfall in the playoffs, and that this years team gets it together before the big dance and realizes that it won't be easy.

I'll agree with the majority though, Hitch and Army haven't done enough to this team to get it over the hump.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I just have a perverse sense in the crap sense that this semi dumpster fire will turn into something since the normal dominent team Peters out...seriously they can't get worse in the playoffs outside of just getting outright swept. Home ice advantage doesn't matter....high seeding doesn't matter. Might as well go into the playoffs with their backs against the wall to begin with.

As BlueDream said...this team has zero identity...it was discussed on 101 today and on paper they are a high energy, heavy checking team sprinkled with some high end talent....on the ice they are a passively soft team that looks disinterested 90% of the time.

Who knows...maybe on the 2nd half they'll suprise us. All I want is that they make the playoffs and Army doesn't make some terrible deadline deal that blows future assets for a rental

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
I'd be in favor of replacing Muller with Mike Johnston as an assistant. He would be a excellent replacement and would compliment Hitch so Hitch can finish out his final season. :yo:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
This is tough. Our management assures us we are in 'win now' mode so selling off assets seems rather unlikely. But at the same time us fans appear to have little confidence that we will actually 'win now'

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Ya this has nothing to do with the loss vs the Hawks. The team looks lazy. It's like we have an entire roster of Chris Stewart's. They might put out effort 20 out of 60 minutes. I'd bet some of that comes from having a lame duck coach on a 1 year contract.

I'm pretty convinced Army sells futures for some all in rental type deal before the deadline and puts the organization further behind from being a serious contender.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'd be in favor of replacing Muller with Mike Johnston as an assistant. He would be a excellent replacement and would compliment Hitch so Hitch can finish out his final season. :yo:

The same guy that manages to neuter a roster that includes Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Letang?

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
We are talking Assistant Coach. Like he was with the Canucks and Kings before he turned the Winterhawks around.

My take is that Johnston's coaching was not an issue. Mike Johnston encountered the same problem that Dan Bylsma ran into with the 2014 version of the team, minus the horrendous man-games lost situation: the roster needed a number of foundational repairs. Until those issues were addressed, Scottie Bowman and Toe Blake could have co-coach the team to similar results.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We are talking Assistant Coach. Like he was with the Canucks and Kings before he turned the Winterhawks around.

My take is that Johnston's coaching was not an issue. Mike Johnston encountered the same problem that Dan Bylsma ran into with the 2014 version of the team, minus the horrendous man-games lost situation: the roster needed a number of foundational repairs. Until those issues were addressed, Scottie Bowman and Toe Blake could have co-coach the team to similar results.
Fair enough...not like our offense can do worse

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
As die hard Blues fans we are all fearing the worst and desperate for some modicum of change. The worst being one of those Miller type deals depleting our future. Most of us agree something needs to be done and most doubt the GM or Coach will be be held accountable in the near term for this lack luster season. All we can hope for is something around the edges. The logical place to start is Muller. Adam Oats is another possible assistant.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
I haven't been this disinterested in a season in a long while. We're infuriatingly boring to watch most days.

Probably the best outcome is no big/stupid trades, a second round exit (for Stillman) and a new coach or two next year. I have a hard time imagining more at this point.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I haven't been this disinterested in a season in a long while. We're infuriatingly boring to watch most days.

Probably the best outcome is no big/stupid trades, a second round exit (for Stillman) and a new coach or two next year. I have a hard time imagining more at this point.

If Blues make it to the second round you can bet Hitch will be back once again.

WiscoBlues

Feb 1, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
the blues could go 82-0-0 and i wouldn't consider them a cup contender. this team will never win. :(

and am i the only person that wants absolutely nothing to do with kirk muller as head coach? our PP hasn't been that good and he did jack squat in carolina. i don't understand how he could be seen as an upgrade and i don't even like hitch.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012

It doesn't help that the hated Blackhawks pulled Panarin out of their a@@. It just makes this season seem like another long trip to a worst possible conclusion. Hitch coming back already made it feel like we were just on hold until next season. The two together are super tedious. I still keep watching, though.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
My opinion is they shouldn't trade anyone this year. Ride it out and start fresh with new coach and staff. Build around Tarasenko, Fabbri, Schwartz, Pietrangelo, and find a way to keep Shattenkirk. If you make any moves. I'd find a way for Berglund to waive his NTC and Backes as well if only to get something for him so he doesn't walk. It's time for a change and that won't happen if they resign Backes, unless it's under a new coach.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Isn't Hitch taking a front office job with the Blues when he retires from coaching? I keep seeing Tippetts name pop up when the coaching change subject is brought up in JRs chats...I would assume Army has conveyed that notion to JR

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Isn't Hitch taking a front office job with the Blues when he retires from coaching? I keep seeing Tippetts name pop up when the coaching change subject is brought up in JRs chats...I would assume Army has conveyed that notion to JR

Another 1st round exit coach.

giphy.gif

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I just have a perverse sense in the crap sense that this semi dumpster fire will turn into something since the normal dominent team Peters out...seriously they can't get worse in the playoffs outside of just getting outright swept. Home ice advantage doesn't matter....high seeding doesn't matter. Might as well go into the playoffs with their backs against the wall to begin with.

As BlueDream said...this team has zero identity...it was discussed on 101 today and on paper they are a high energy, heavy checking team sprinkled with some high end talent....on the ice they are a passively soft team that looks disinterested 90% of the time.

Who knows...maybe on the 2nd half they'll suprise us. All I want is that they make the playoffs and Army doesn't make some terrible deadline deal that blows future assets for a rental

I like the idea that this season, the Blues are engaging in a rope-a-dope maneuver with the rest of the league. We lull the opposition into a false sense of security, and then open up and pound them in the playoffs.

Actually, I have no idea what to expect in the second half. We will be a better team with Schwartz in the lineup, no doubt. But we need our under-achievers to come through, especially Stastny. He gave me hope there a week or so ago with a four point night (or was it three), but maybe that was just an aberration.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I like the idea that this season, the Blues are engaging in a rope-a-dope maneuver with the rest of the league. We lull the opposition into a false sense of security, and then open up and pound them in the playoffs.

Doesn't this start to look serious when we just joke about Blues current situation. We're really deep **** and Stillman is silent. :shakehead

I'm really afraid TDL and Army.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Wasn't Tippetts the coach when Arizona went to the WCF?

Wasn't that year Blues did go 2nd round get swept by Kings who dominate Phoenix on WCF 4-1? :popcorn:
Wasn't Phoenix run bit shock to everyone? Beat Wings and then run over Nashville.. Okey good job Tippett

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad