Blues Trade Proposals Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm confused, maybe I don't know how NHL trades work but in what world is a 2nd round player that's potential looks like a bottom 6 player, and a potential top 6 (maybe top 4, but he'd be a very average top 4 man) d man worth the 3rd overall pick

Where you're drafted means jack once you enter the NHL. How highly do you value former first overall pick, Nail Yakupov?

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm confused, maybe I don't know how NHL trades work but in what world is a 2nd round player that's potential looks like a bottom 6 player, and a potential top 6 (maybe top 4, but he'd be a very average top 4 man) d man worth the 3rd overall pick

In what world do you not apply context to trades?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Drouin, Schwartz, Fabbri. Not much size there. I like a bigger team TBH, but I guess it's not the end all.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Where did you hear this from?

This was on ESPN today at 3:45.

Drouin, Schwartz, Fabbri. Not much size there. I like a bigger team TBH, but I guess it's not the end all.
Kane and Panarin are ashamed of you.
giphy.gif

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

True. Although we have lots of big guys up front. Berglund, Paajarvi, Brouwer, Backes, Jaskin. But those guys don't have much skill. It's rare to find big+skilled

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012

Size is always a factor, but it isn't as much of one as it once was. I'll take skill and speed over size and toughness any day.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Size is always a factor, but it isn't as much of one as it once was. I'll take skill and speed over size and toughness any day.

There's another factor, and there's different ways to label it. Effort, heart, work ethic, call it what you want but big or small I want all my players to have it.

Schwartz is the prime example of that. It is not uncommon for the smaller players to work harder. Generally speaking they have to.

To me Lemieux will always be the most skilled player to ever put on skates, along with being my favorite to watch. If I could start a franchise and could choose between an 18 year old Lemieux or an 18 year old Yzerman, I'd struggle with the choice. I'd pick 66 in the end but it's hard to quantify Yzerman's drive and effort to winning.

The point being yes size matters but it's definitely behind skill and intangibles for me.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It's always interesting to see what values organizations tend to put a premium on when they draft/acquire players.

Size, physicality, mobility, shot, vision, puck skills, hockey IQ, drive...lots of important categories, and many facets within each category. For example, shot encompasses things like shot hardness, accuracy, and release (for each of slap/snap/wrist/backhand), ability to get shot off from different shooting platforms, ability to create one's own shot, ability to get shot through traffic, willingness to shoot, etc.

Outside the first round, the Blues have long favored size and physicality over mobility and puck skills in their forwards. Detroit has favored the opposite, and has a system that complements that drafting strategy. Toronto's picks in their latest draft now that Babcock is there tilted heavily in that direction as well.

It's no coincidence that teams that value speed when drafting tend to be fast, and that teams that value skill when drafting tend to be skilled. The Blues are long past due for updating some of their forward drafting strategies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
"shatty and barbashev and 1st 2016 or 2017 for drouin and carle i think happens in next 48 hours just throwing this out there"

Just had to share this beauty.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Is there any reasonable news (tweets) about Drouin (or Stamkos) case and what might be Blues offer?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Is there any reasonable news (tweets) about Drouin (or Stamkos) case and what might be Blues offer?

Reliable sources have said were interested in Drouin but no word on possible offer, at least reliable

Jack Bandit

Jan 27, 2014
Illinois
I don't post too much, so sorry if this has been brought up before. I'd guess Detroit wants Shatty, but we are also discussing a separate deal with TB for Drouin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad