Blues Trade Proposals Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Edmunson seems like the kind of player the Oilers could use

If he keeps developing, then he's the kind of player we could use and lack. Sounds as if he has come back playing fairly well according to the announcers last night. Perhaps a Vannelli would interest them. Oilers have plenty of size, lefties, and lack righties and the puck moving PP prospect on defense. Seems like we have plenty of those types already. He's a higher ceiling player than what Edmundson is. Just a thought.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If it's Edmundson/Hakanpaa, then sure, they didn't have a future anyway and late 2nds aren't worth as much as they sound. We just can make a habit of moving early picks.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
If he keeps developing, then he's the kind of player we could use and lack. Sounds as if he has come back playing fairly well according to the announcers last night. Perhaps a Vannelli would interest them. Oilers have plenty of size, lefties, and lack righties and the puck moving PP prospect on defense. Seems like we have plenty of those types already. He's a higher ceiling player than what Edmundson is. Just a thought.

With Lindbohm, Parayko, Schmaltz, and Vanelli all looking like they have brighter futures combined with Petro and Shattenkirk being here long term, I don't really see any spot for Edmunson on the Blues.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Unless we're planning on going with all righties except for Lindbohm, I don't think that's the way to look at it right now. With Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Schmaltz and even Parayko, I think Vannelli could very well be the odd man out in the future. If we have 3-4 better RH puck movers, couldn't he be redundant? I'm not too high on him like I am Schmaltz, but it's too early to tell.

I wouldn't just give Edmundson away. He shouldn't be lumped with Hakanpaa either. Edmundson is only 21, and has missed a year up until now due to the back injury, so he's really still in his first pro season for the most part. He could be a solid 3rd-pairing defenseman that provides a certain role of nastiness. Or maybe Parayko and Lindbohm will give us that aspect, we'll see.

Edmundson obviously isn't a guy you hang onto to hold up a deal that can help us now, but he's definitely not a bust.

Maybe Edmonton will be intrigued with taking Paajarvi as a throw in along with another prospect. ;)

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'd probably trade Vannelli before Edmundson. Hakanpaa would be my preferred guy to go in a Petry trade but I don't know if Edmonton has any interest in him.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I rank Vannelli and Edmundson pretty equally. Vannelli has the higher potential but I think Edmundson is a safer bet/more likely to reach his potential. I rank both below Lindbohm, Schmaltz and Parayko. Given the Blues' puck-moving depth both on the team and with their prospects, I'd prefer to trade Vannelli instead of Edmundson...but neither are untouchable IMO. I'd be even more willing to trade away Hakanpaa. Perhaps there's a team out there that falls in love with his size but I don't think he's going to be able to put it together and become a good NHLer.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
that's fair analysis by you three. I guess I was putting less thought into positional/player type needs and more into raw upside ,but they're both important

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I have thinked long and hard, try to put every pieces together. I think Jeff Petry isn't right player on our team. He's ready NHL'er on top6, but I don't see him delevopening higher. We should maybe give for Petry 2nd rounder +. Then what we are going to do Cole, Lindbohm?

I think best option to our team is Zidlicky and still bring to guy for rental and just fore 1 month if Shattery is coming back end of march. Maybe he would be good fit with Jackman, maybe. Or maybe we could give rest for Jackman, Pietro. Then give icetime more Lindbohm, bring back Butler.

Code:
Gunnar - Shattery
Lindbohm - Zidlicky
Butler - Cole

Jackman rest
Pietro rest

What you guys think, how much value you guys see on Lindbohm compare to Petry or Cole?

So bring Zidlicky for cheap cheap fun fun.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am a little hesitant on the Petry front. I know I may come across as a hypocrite, being in the vanguard of the "too soft D" camp, but this years 2nd and Edmunson/Vanelli seems a little dear for a UFA rental. We gave up a lot in the Miller trade, and it sounds like this years draft is a really deep one. Others have posted that we could recoup that pick with Berglund, but that is far from certain, and I'm not convinced Bergy has to be moved. I would rather hang on to our 2nd and Edmunson than rent Petry for possibly a month or two.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I rank Vannelli and Edmundson pretty equally. Vannelli has the higher potential but I think Edmundson is a safer bet/more likely to reach his potential. I rank both below Lindbohm, Schmaltz and Parayko. Given the Blues' puck-moving depth both on the team and with their prospects, I'd prefer to trade Vannelli instead of Edmundson...but neither are untouchable IMO. I'd be even more willing to trade away Hakanpaa. Perhaps there's a team out there that falls in love with his size but I don't think he's going to be able to put it together and become a good NHLer.

But at what point do you consider how far away they both are from the NHL? What I mean is, Edmundson clearly could be ready within a year or two, but is there really going to be a hole for him on our team? At this point, Schmaltz and Parayko both have the potential to leapfrog him because they are simply better players and prospects. Vannelli still needs some time and is at least 2-3 years from the NHL.

To me, I trade Edmundson first simply because I don't want him sitting in the AHL or getting no use for the next couple of years, if that made any sense.

Jeffro

Oct 20, 2007
Berglund, Cole, Sobotka and our 2nd for Coburn, Lecavalier, and Philly's 1st.

Is that utterly insane? It would be hard to make the money work, but we improve the team for this year and buy a first back that should be in the lottery...

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Berglund, Cole, Sobotka and our 2nd for Coburn, Lecavalier, and Philly's 1st.

Is that utterly insane? It would be hard to make the money work, but we improve the team for this year and buy a first back that should be in the lottery...

Is Coburn that much better than Cole? I like the first but to me we need to focus on getting things for now not in the future.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think Army have quite hard time to now. Thinking how 3rd line has produce and knowing Shattery is back end of March. Why would break clicking 3rd line chemistry and take risk? I keep saying this same tape, we need only debt vet Zidlicky, Petry isn't not going to help us that much on top6 spot and I don't really see him as good some of thinks.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I like Petry more than most people, I think. He's played on a pretty bad Oilers team, and has played against some of the top lines. I've watched him even back when he was with Michigan State, the guy is a good solid D man.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Petry. Good physical dman with some offense.

Zidlicky. Great offense, subpar defense and no physicality.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I am perfectly comfortable with our healthy 3 pairings on D heading into the playoffs. I'm not sure Petry is much of an upgrade. If he wants to agree to a 4 yrs @ 3.5 mill contract prior, then I'd be willing to deal. Just don't like trading for a rental that isn't that much of an upgrade. If Shatty wan't coming back, then that's a different story.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Petry. Good physical dman with some offense.

Zidlicky. Great offense, subpar defense and no physicality.
The choice to me is clearly Petry then, as I don't really want a one-dimensional guy. We don't need great offense unless Shattenkirk won't be back, but I think he will.

The rest of it just comes down to guys like Pietrangelo being a little bit better in the offensive zone, which he should be capable of.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Don't get me wrong, I really like Petry too, just not for a 2nd round pick this year. Pehaps if MacT would accept Vanelli and a 3rd, (assuming we still have one), or maybe a 3rd that becomes a 2nd, (or next years 2nd), contingent on Petry re-signing in the off-season. I wonder if the Oil is looking at Rattie, and if so what possibilities are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad