Blues Trade Proposals Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Continued from Easton: "They don't need anything now. Their realistic cracking of their competitive window is probably 2-3 years out. If the assets you're offering don't fit that window, Edmonton isn't likely to value them very highly at all."

Bouw+Backes+Schmaltz+Rattie would have interested them, I thought, and we'd be interested in Drai+16OA+Yak.

It's not crazy to think that Edmonton might want someone to mentor their D, drive offense from the blueline, and cover the young D's butts with his speed. He also let's the forwards grow as they don't have to deal with Opposition Goal Horn Trauma.

Backes provides leadership, excellent forward D, and a guy they can afford to sign to be their shutdown C. Scmaltz makes up for the lack of future lost to Draisaitl in trade, and Rattie gives them a high risk/reward weapon that could get play time on their current roster.

We lose two expendable Dmen, a C that isn't good enough and will walk, and a player that doesn't fit in this team. In return, we get a potential 1C and current 3C, a really good pick, and a potential 2RW that can help replace Oshie's production. (I wouldn't do this without first getting Galchenyuk).

The EDM posters were less interested in these concepts than I thought, and I understand why they value Draisaitl over them. But, it's not ridiculous to consider that this same thought process might be what is going on in two GMs heads - especially in a forum setting. I think this is a fairly rational, albeit not unreceptive by the forum, line of reasoning.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Interesting that there had been a little talk among Blues fans about the possibility of making a trade with Boston for Carl Soderberg, and he was traded to The Avs for only a 6th Rounder. His value dropped because he has only one year left on his contract, and will be a UFA after that. But, still, it shows him that he's nowhere near the value he places on himself asking for $5 million + per year.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Interesting that there had been a little talk among Blues fans about the possibility of making a trade with Boston for Carl Soderberg, and he was traded to The Avs for only a 6th Rounder. His value dropped because he has only one year left on his contract, and will be a UFA after that. But, still, it shows him that he's nowhere near the value he places on himself asking for $5 million + per year.

We'll have to see how true that is. I still think this is a move to get early negotiating rights until they can figure out what to so with ROR. Once they get him settled, they might offer Soderberg some cash - maybe not 5+, but we'll have to see.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The idea that now pieces like Backes and Bouwmeester would interest Edmonton or #3 is a pretty bad one IMO.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Bouw+Backes+Schmaltz+Rattie would have interested them, I thought, and we'd be interested in Drai+16OA+Yak.

There is no reason for the Oilers to make that trade. If you break it down you could probably say that Yakupov & 16th are equal to Bouwmeester, Schmaltz & Rattie. If you're going to push Yakupov's value lower than that then there is zero incentive for them to trade him.

That leave Draisaitl and Backes, and Draisaitl has significantly more trade value than Backes.

I think you are reading way too much into what is actually a very good return for the Bruins. Getting an unconditional pick for an UFA that you can't afford to sign, and who is currently free to talk to any team in the League is a borderline miracle. Someone was desperate enough to not want him to hit the open market that they gave up a pick despite that, I'd argue that says his value is pretty good.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I wouldn't buy Draisaitl yet. Quite high risk - high reward type of deal would have to do with Oilers. I wan't to see first him playing in NHL until try to make a trade and that trade would mean right away re-build. Will he even blend/make transition in NHL, his skating looks so heavy and clumpsy. Compare to bigger and younger guy Dergachyov.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So considering Fabbri will basically be a waste on the 4th line, you're saying no to all these players but your solution is replacing Berglund with Hagelin and calling it an offseason?

Well then. We'll just have to wait and see because that won't be enough. I don't really agree with the "no deal to be made" either. Find one. That's your job as a GM. It might not be a perfect deal and yeah sometimes the offers aren't what you hoped, but identify a player that can give us a different look and make a move, make an experiment. Hagelin doesn't really do that.

I just won't buy it if Armstrong says there weren't good offers for Backes and Oshie. Not a single one? Those are good players, so I won't be convinced or satisfied if there was "no deal to be made". Maybe some of you will be okay with the same roster, but I'm not that delusional. It'd be a waste of a season.

I've probably been the biggest pusher for Fabbri, there's nothing wrong him breaking into the league on the 4th line.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't trade these guys and again....there is a possibility that there isn't a deal to be made. I try to keep my expectations realistic. As for delusional? This is where your posts just go off base. Not one single person has stated they want all of these guys back, but what you or I want or think does not matter. If Armstrong doesn't feel he's getting fair Value, then at no point should he make a move just to make a move.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
“Maybe Pittsburgh. I think that there’s a strong appetite inside the Penguins’ organization to just change things up a little bit. And by a little bit, it could be a pretty significant trade. I keep hearing rumblings that – we know Rutherford is looking for a top-6 forward. We know that. Well, is T.J. Oshie from the St. Louis Blues a top-6? On a deep team like Pittsburgh, I think it’s a bit of a stretch. But if he can play in their top-6, good for him.

“But I keep hearing rumblings that if all else fails, Pittsburgh and St. Louis might do something just to shake things up a little bit for both clubs. So maybe we see Oshie to the Pittsburgh Penguins with a young prospect like Ty Rattie, as an example, and then coming back the other way is Brandon Sutter of the St. Louis Blues. I mean, those are some of the rumblings that kind of dropped in my lap last night.

“And look, I think we have to qualify everything here. Of course, our goal is to be right 100 percent of the time, but there’s so much speculation swirling about from managers, agents, you name it…”

I would lose all faith in this franchise. We'd better get Pouliot at a minimum in that deal. Why Dreger thinks Oshie wouldn't be in their top 6 is beyond me, he'd be their best or 2nd best winger with Hornqvist. Pittsburgh's top 6 is not deep at all.

Sometimes Dreger really just reminds me of Eklund.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
From how I'm reading this, I can't tell if you realize he's UFA right now. They traded a 6th for the right to sign him a couple days sooner than they might have if they waited until all the rest of the league has that ability.

If the Avs trade ROR and sign Soderberg for anything close to $5M, I think they're going backwards.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I would lose all faith in this franchise. We'd better get Pouliot at a minimum in that deal. Why Dreger thinks Oshie wouldn't be in their top 6 is beyond me, he'd be their best or 2nd best winger with Hornqvist. Pittsburgh's top 6 is not deep at all.

Its hard to come up with a single trade scenario where the Blues get fair value on Oshie. Even this type of trade with Pittsburgh sounds like a bad deal. The pro scouts better be sharp this summer.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And their first pick is 46, so even that would be pointless. I won't freak out till the draft or when the actual move happens, but it's not like Army has a great track record of trades when he's kind of forced into a corner and makes a move to change things up. He'll either dump someone who he doesn't think is a fit for terrible value or throw valuable expendable pieces at something that he thinks is a fix, but in reality, isn't.

And Oshie trade should net us a minimum of a 1st+good prospect, ideally a center. That makes Pittsburgh a terrible trade partner, so I'm just hoping all the rumor people are just catering to the fair-weather Crosby fanboys.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If they Traded TJ Oshie and Rattie for Brandon freaking Sutter......wow....just wow.

But I guess some would rather see this god awful deal then none. Oshie damn near doubled Sutter's production....and add on top of that....

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

He didn't have a year left he was set to become a UFA in 5 days. And he just signed a 5 year deal for 4.75 per which is an overpayment IMO

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Now would Sutter be fine here, sure, but as a 3rd line shutdown center with 30ish point potential. His value is right with Berglund because Berglund is still signed, Sutter will be a UFA next summer.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010

So he thinks we'd add to Oshie to get Sutter is what i'm reading? Did people forget about Oshie in the regular season? Oshie is a much much much better player than Sutter who we don't even have room for. I'm not the biggest Oshie fan but wow is he undervalued. You make smart trades not trades to make a trade. If the right move isn't there you don't force one you wait it out.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Saw a report that JVR is available. Even though he's a LW, we still have to go after him. Great price for 3 more years, and Steen and Schwartz have both played some RW, as well as center, so we'd be able to figure out a way to make it work.

Really depends on what age they are going for in a trade.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
From how I'm reading this, I can't tell if you realize he's UFA right now. They traded a 6th for the right to sign him a couple days sooner than they might have if they waited until all the rest of the league has that ability.

If the Avs trade ROR and sign Soderberg for anything close to $5M, I think they're going backwards.

$4.75m, I think that is a little rich, but not much. I'm much rather have Söderberg for 5 years at $4.75m and the assets from trading ROR, than ROR for 8 years at $7.5m and a 6th round pick.

That's unfair to Eklund. He makes stuff up for clickbait, but I think he knows hockey. I honestly don't think Dreger does. He has some good sources, but when he's actually trying to come up with things that might make sense, they are always really, really bad.

Oshie is worth significantly more than Sutter. Even if we moved Oshie for Sutter, I think we'd still have 9 better forwards than Sutter going into next season.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Saw a report that JVR is available. Even though he's a LW, we still have to go after him. Great price for 3 more years, and Steen and Schwartz have both played some RW, as well as center, so we'd be able to figure out a way to make it work.

Knowing Babcock it would be Fabbri and Schmaltz they would want in return. We have to ask the price, but I doubt we'd like the asking price.

If we make a hockey trade, then I think Bødker is the most likely candidate.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Knowing Babcock it would be Fabbri and Schmaltz they would want in return. We have to ask the price, but I doubt we'd like the asking price.

If we make a hockey trade, then I think Bødker is the most likely candidate.

Yep. I think Columbus should make the move for him, they could easily put together a great project.

Boedker is someone that I've wanted for awhile and pretty much is the perfect fit, except we'd still need to add a shooter, something I'd have no problem with adding in a different trade. Although, Army might not agree as much with the shooter part.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Maybe Oshie + Rattie + Vannelli + a 2016 non-1st pick? Top 4 of:

JVR-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Backes-Steen

It would be TOR basically shuffling the deck chairs in their Top 6 to get 2 prospects and a pick. For STL, that's four guys in the Top 6 who have potted 30, one who is knocking on the door to 30 and a guy who could rack up 50 assists with proper usage. Leaves you Fabbri-Lehtera-Jaskin for a 3rd line assuming Berglund is moved for futures.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
JvR is really not a player I'm interested in moving guys for. He is absolutely lost defensively. He's easily the worst defender on his line.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
JvR is really not a player I'm interested in moving guys for. He is absolutely lost defensively. He's easily the worst defender on his line.

I'm not too worried about the individual, as long as we can create a balanced line. The problem with JVR is that a lot of people put too much value on his contract. If we could get him at a decent price, he'd be a good addition because we need another finisher.

He's more valuable than Oshie, he's signed the extra year and obviously 30-30 is more valuable than 20-40, but the difference isn't 2 decent prospects and a pick.

It's yet another situation where I think that Oshie is the piece we'd want to move, but isn't the type of player the other team would be looking for in return. If we could move Oshie for a good prospect & pick, I think we could flip that return and be very close to what it would take to get Bødker or JVR.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Yep. I think Columbus should make the move for him, they could easily put together a great project.

Boedker is someone that I've wanted for awhile and pretty much is the perfect fit, except we'd still need to add a shooter, something I'd have no problem with adding in a different trade. Although, Army might not agree as much with the shooter part.

The only reason Boedker would be available is because he wants more than he is worth on a contract. Boedker would be a decent fit but would be a downgrade on Oshie.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The only reason Boedker would be available is because he wants more than he is worth on a contract. Boedker would be a decent fit but would be a downgrade on Oshie.

I wouldn't say that's the only reason. Maybe he doesn't want to stay in Arizona and doesn't want any UFA years in his new deal. Maybe Arizona wants an upgrade or someone for marketable. Maybe they want to continue the rebuild and move him for young pieces, and I know he's still relatively young himself, but by the time they compete, he won't be.

Boedker is close enough to Oshie, that the upgrade in speed would be worth a change to the core IMO. Could still have other pieces to balance the value out a bit as well. We could pick up an extra pick from them since they have quite a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad