Blues Trade Proposals Part Too Many to Count II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
That would be bad. But there is a scenario where Parayko for a guy like Larkin, or Draisitl is reasonable. I don't want him traded for anything, but if its a young elite ceiling center its a defensible trade.

Drouin is not worth Parayko, and there had better be a significant plus coming our way with Draisaitl or Larkin. I doubt Larkin happens.

Parayko is what every team wants their young dman to be - top-tier potential, huge, skates incredibly well, leadership, poise, etc. Other than the already elite young 1Ds in the league (Ekblad, Klingberg), Parayko has to have the highest value of any under 24 dman.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Drouin is not worth Parayko, and there had better be a significant plus coming our way with Draisaitl or Larkin. I doubt Larkin happens.

Parayko is what every team wants their young dman to be - top-tier potential, huge, skates incredibly well, leadership, poise, etc. Other than the already elite young 1Ds in the league (Ekblad, Klingberg), Parayko has to have the highest value of any under 24 dman.

a "significant plus" with Larkin or Draisaitl? come on man. We all love him but he's played 1 season. What Larkin and Draisaitl have done is equally impressive.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
a "significant plus" with Larkin or Draisaitl? come on man. We all love him but he's played 1 season. What Larkin and Draisaitl have done is equally impressive.

I don't think losing Parayko to gain Larkin or Draisatil is really worth it. Draisaitl fizzled out pretty quickly down the stretch, and Larkin kind of did, too. I still think Parayko becomes the better player.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I don't think losing Parayko to gain Larkin or Draisatil is really worth it. Draisaitl fizzled out pretty quickly down the stretch, and Larkin kind of did, too. I still think Parayko becomes the better player.

Draisaitl I am not 100% sold on yet but I think he will get there. Larkin, Blues would have to add.

He has Toews written all over him.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Could Vermette bought out means Shattery trade? Do they even need RHD at least they have pieces which might be interesting in Army's mind.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Could Vermette bought out means Shattery trade? Do they even need RHD at least they have pieces which might be interesting in Army's mind.

Why would Shattenkirk want to go to Phoenix? Look, it's clear that Shattenkirk holds the ace of spades here and he either wants to go to a) a true Stanley Cup Pretender or b) a team close to his hometown.

I think it's pretty clear.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Why would Shattenkirk want to go to Phoenix? Look, it's clear that Shattenkirk holds ace of spades here and he either wants to go to a) a true Stanley Cup Pretender or b) a team close to his hometown.

I think it's pretty clear.

I know, but... I'm so despetate. I just wish Army would have made a trade back then (draft-UFA market), like Shattery's agent info 'they were suprised Kevin wasn't traded'. I want return from Shattery.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I know, but... I'm so despetate. I just wish Army would have made a trade back then (draft-UFA market), like Shattery's agent info 'they were suprised Kevin wasn't traded'. I want return from Shattery.

I think it's clear Armstrong screwed the pooch here. If he walks next year, Army should be fired immediately.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think it's clear Armstrong screwed the pooch here. If he walks next year, Army should be fired immediately.

But can Stillman do it, knowing how well franchise have earn money last year, could this affeft his decision? Too wide-eyed Army's moves/ no moves and Army has only 1 year left in his contract after next year, maybe Stillman doesn't re-sign him.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

Well not exactly, If we keep Shatty and IF we win the cup with him, that is his saving grace. If Shatty walks and we are still the depressed fan base that we are then I agree with you

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well not exactly, If we keep Shatty and IF we win the cup with him, that is his saving grace. If Shatty walks and we are still the depressed fan base that we are then I agree with you
But everyone realizes that's an extremely stupid gamble, right?

I was a big Shattenkirk fan. But is he really the difference between a Cup or not? I don't see it.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think Shatty's importance to the team's success is greatly exaggerated. If he's not our 3rd RD now he will be soon, and we can find another PPQ. (Not necessarily a defenseman) I would accept a purely futures deal for Shattenkirk right now.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I was a big Shattenkirk fan. But is he really the difference between a Cup or not? I don't see it.

Yep, the whole "keep Shattenkirk" is just lip service. I don't see how he finishes this season with the Bluenote on his chest. Sooooo many things would have to go right to make this team a legit cup contender this year. Best thing that army can do is to keep Shattenkirk till someone caves in on the asking price, or take the best offer at the TDL. I doubt that will be much worse then Boston's craptastic offer at the draft

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Can't move Parayko unless you keep Shatty, and I'm pretty sure that Shatty is intent on testing the market.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I disagree with BD and DB. If I choose between an Oshie-type return for Shattenkirk and one more run with him playing for us, it's a no brainier. If Armstrong can actually get one or more good future pieces than yeah, different story obviously.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I disagree with BD and DB. If I choose between an Oshie-type return for Shattenkirk and one more run with him playing for us, it's a no brainier. If Armstrong can actually get one or more good future pieces than yeah, different story obviously.

Oshie was different because he had 2 years on his contract and we got back a roster player with only one year. who played the same position and was worse. That would be hard to replicate with Shatty. If we get back a worse pending-UFA RHD, a 3rd and a worthless prospect, then yea, keeping Shatty is better. But if we get any positive asset with more term its an improvement. A guy like Spooner people say is meh, and I agree, but we could always flip him for something else down the road. Once Shattenkirk is gone, he is gone and we have nothing.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
This is what I believe Armstrong's thinking:

Steen to center, trade Shattenkirk for a forward to replace Steen (of course if a high level center is available, great).

Hall was on the list. We've even heard about Eberle. But now things have gotten quiet.

I think Armstrong is going to wait until the season starts and one of his bidders starts struggling and losing games. Then, the trade will be revisited. Its possible this could happen before training camp, but I don't think anyone will blink.

Bluesiest outcome:
Pietrangelo is named captain, then has a season-ending injury. Parayko and Shattenkirk do pretty well on the right side, and Shatty walks. Blues win one playoff series and lose in a "close one" against Chicago, Nashville or some upstart Edmonton team.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

Oh I agree with you completely, I was just saying if he fails to trade Shatty, he better hope for his jobs sake that we win the Cup.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
From Eklund's Shattenkirk update today:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Back-From-St-Louis-with-a-Shattenkirk-Update--Habs-and-NJ---Buzz1/1/78514

Eklund said:
Hey all, I am 100% back from my family vacation in St Louis where I got to see my Daughter win a gold medal at the National Macabe Games. Incredible time.

While in St Louis I did get a chance to touch base with some Blues sources and get the skinny on Shattenkirk.

The Blues are currently working under two scenarios currently, and while keeping Shattenkirk is an option always those closest are acting as it it really more likely isn't. The Blues have taken a step back and let teams come to them more in the past few weeks and teams have not stopped calling at all. In fact, over the past week they fielded some of the more aggressive callers as the number of defensive options has dissipated.

Two teams who have been particularly talkative have been Montreal and NJ. The Canadiens and Bruins have really been the favorite all along in this race, but now it appears as though NJ may be challenging Boston and at the least have made this a three team race.

A well placed St Louis source went on to say, "The Canadiens have been poking around but not really making a serious play..until now. There is a key piece that Armstrong has wanted out of Montreal that was a non-starter...but now is, I wouldn't say "in play" yet, but for sure being discussed...even it will take a little more from St Louis."

Another source tells me that "at least four teams have asked to talk to the agent because obviously trading for Shattenkirk is much easier if you are certain you can afford to extend him..."

That source would confirm the four teams he had spoken to but another source told me the Rangers had been one of the teams who were interested but only if they could be sure of an extension...

The Devils have always made a ton of sense given that he played in their Junior system and it is close to his home, and makes even more sense since they traded Larsson. I just still don't see a fit for us as far as the return unless they are willing to part with one of Zacha or MacLeod, either of which would be a bad move from their perspective.

The Canadiens make less sense given their already bloated D budget and the fact that they already have Weber ($7.8M+) and Petry ($5M) on RD. I suppose moving Weber to LD would be an option, but you still have Markov ($5.75M) and Emelin ($4.1M) to move to make room for Shatty. I am intrigued, though, to the extent that this storyline has any legs at all, who Army may have been targeting that went from being a non-starter to being open for discussion. From a Blues perspective, the player that has made the most sense is Galchenyuk but I don't see how they could possibly move him and leave themselves with one of Shaw or Desharnais behind Plekanec as their center depth. Pacioretty might make even less sense, so I wonder if the targeted player he is referring to is Gallagher. I've heard some speculation nationally that the acquisition of Shaw could make him expendable in the right deal, I just don't see how Bergevin could view this as the right deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad