Confirmed with Link: Blues trade Lehtera, 2017 1st & Cond. 2018 1st for Brayden Schenn

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I’d love to keep Brayden Schenn. I’m concerned that the math won’t work between what he’ll demand in his next contract and having O’Reilly, Thomas, and Bozak on the roster the next few seasons

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I’d love to keep Brayden Schenn. I’m concerned that the math won’t work between what he’ll demand in his next contract and having O’Reilly, Thomas, and Bozak on the roster the next few seasons
Supposedly his agent wasn't very accomodating the last time around, but it could just be that he didn't want to resign with a year left and banked on himself having a breakout year.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I love Schenn and still absolutely love the trade. I want to see the Blues extend him, which they should be able to do so long as we move on from Bozak after 19/20 (very doable). Thomas won't get a raise until 21/22 and there is a decent chance that it isn't an 8 year, big time contract. I don't think the cap prevents us from paying Thomas and Schenn fairly on top of ROR's $7.5 mil a year. If Thomas plays so well that cap is becoming an issue, that is a great problem to address in 2021 instead of the next year.

If Schenn simply doesn't want to extend here, we should be able to get a decent return for him of at least a 1st round pick as a rental. Schenn is a good enough player (and will demand a big enough deal) that you can/should have contract conversations well before the start of the 2019/20 season. You should know where he stands on an extension by July 15, 2019 at the latest and can plan accordingly. If he isn't willing to extend at that point, you commit to trading him (either in the summer or as a rental). He's currently on pace for a 59 point season over 82 games and will likely hit 55 barring injury. You can always find a team willing to trade a 1st+ for the rental of a 55-65 point center who can play adequate defensively and rack up 150-200 hits a year. His cap hit shouldn't take too many teams out of the running for his services if we create that market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad