Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Along with others above, I think that you can make good cases for a lot of guys here.

Schmaltz looks like he has an NHL player's skill set when I watch him, but we haven't actually had much of a chance to see him become established at that level for various reasons. Combine that with his age and being buried a bit on the depth chart and it puts a damper on the enthusiasm surrounding him. I still think he has a middle-pairing ceiling (though obviously he won't be that here) if he defends well at the NHL level and builds enough confidence in his roster position to play a less timid game. Even if he doesn't hit it, he could make for a more well-rounded and skilled bottom pairing guy than most teams would have available.

I think Walman is generally more dynamic than Schmaltz, but less well-rounded (as might be expected given that he's two years behind on the development curve, more even if you count the late position switch). I still think he has a higher ceiling than Schmaltz if he puts it all together. Hard to know how much getting jerked around last year in the AHL affected his season. It certainly wasn't optimal for his development, but that shouldn't be an issue moving forward. The more I think about it, one bad year probably shouldn't drop his stock too much if you liked him before since he was always a longer-term project, anyway.

Mikkola has really come along and is on a nice upward trajectory. My biggest questions will be can he add enough in transition and in the offensive zone to be more than a 1-1.5 zone asset in the NHL, and does he have the puck skills and composure to beat heavy pressure and key zone exits with possession on NA size ice. Like Walman, his ceiling seems to be relatively high if he puts it all together, but they both still seem to have a lot of questions to answer. Walman has the more dynamic offensive tools and IMO has more upside in the neutral and offensive zones, but Mikkola's upside seems higher in the defensive end.

I think the injuries Sanford suffered last season pretty much wrecked his year, so I'm not reading anything into the disappointing AHL stats last season. He looks to have the offensive skill set of a productive (for the role) 3rd liner to me. The big question is whether the rest of his game develops to the point where he can beat out competition to stick in that role, especially since he plays a fairly soft game for his size.

I think Foley also projects as a 3rd line sort of player. I don't think he's quite as skilled as Sanford, but he plays a more aggressive and direct game, and has more grittiness/sandpaper/edge/whatever it's called now, so that works in his favor. It'll be interesting to see how his offense game and play away from the puck look in the AHL.

Toropchenko could be that sort of player as well, but he had a pretty disappointing D+1 in the OHL, IMO...especially after a hot start. I know there were extenuating circumstances (1st NA year, bad team, father's death), but I think he needs to show something more before I can place him above Sanford or Foley since I don't think his upside is any higher than either of theirs.

To me, Blais just doesn't look dynamic enough to fill a top 6 role here and he doesn't really project as the sort of player that will fill a bottom 6 role. Since there's a lot of talk about having "4 scoring lines" right now, let me put it a different way. I think Blais needs to play with skilled players to get enough out of him to stick in the NHL, and I don't think he brings enough to the table right now to justify a slot with those sorts of players given the competition he's up against. I also don't think his game away from the puck or the style he plays is conducive to winning a spot on lower lines if he's not putting up points. I've been wrong about him before and there's still plenty of time for him to continue to evolve his game, but I don't think he's particularly close, or even particularly likely, to sticking in the NHL within this organization. I have a feeling I'm going to be lower on him than most.

I think that covers most of the guys who might get consideration here. I ended up going with Walman after waffling over it for awhile. Toropchenko and Blais were the two from this group that probably won't crack my top 10.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I with others above that you can make good cases for a lot of guys here.

Schmaltz looks like he has an NHL player's skill set when I watch him, but we haven't actually had much of a chance to see him become established at that level for various reasons. Combine that with his age and being buried a bit on the depth chart and it puts a damper on the enthusiasm surrounding him. I still think he has a middle-pairing ceiling (though obviously he won't be that here) if he defends well at the NHL level and builds enough confidence in his roster position to play a less timid game. Even if he doesn't hit it, he could make for a more well-rounded and skilled bottom pairing guy than most teams would have available.

I think Walman is generally more dynamic than Schmaltz, but less well-rounded (as might be expected given that he's two years behind on the development curve, more even if you count the late position switch). I still think he has a higher ceiling than Schmaltz if he puts it all together. Hard to know how much getting jerked around last year in the AHL affected his season. It certainly wasn't optimal for his development, but that shouldn't be an issue moving forward. The more I think about it, one bad year probably shouldn't drop his stock too much if you liked him before since he was always a longer-term project, anyway.

Mikkola has really come along and is on a nice upward trajectory. My biggest questions will be can he add enough in transition and in the offensive zone to be more than a 1-1.5 zone asset in the NHL, and does he have the puck skills and composure to beat heavy pressure and key zone exits with possession on NA size ice. Like Walman, his ceiling seems to be relatively high if he puts it all together, but they both still seem to have a lot of questions to answer. Walman has the more dynamic offensive tools and IMO has more upside in the neutral and offensive zones, but Mikkola's upside seems higher in the defensive end.

I think the injuries Sanford suffered last season pretty much wrecked his year, so I'm not reading anything into the disappointing AHL stats last season. He looks to have the offensive skill set of a productive (for the role) 3rd liner to me. The big question is whether the rest of his game develops to the point where he can beat out competition to stick in that role, especially since he plays a fairly soft game for his size.

I think Foley also projects as a 3rd line sort of player. I don't think he's quite as skilled as Sanford, but he plays a more aggressive and direct game, and has more grittiness/sandpaper/edge/whatever it's called now, so that works in his favor. It'll be interesting to see how his offense game and play away from the puck look in the AHL.

Toropchenko could be that sort of player as well, but he had a pretty disappointing D+1 in the OHL, IMO...especially after a hot start. I know there were extenuating circumstances (1st NA year, bad team, father's death), but I think he needs to show something more before I can place him above Sanford or Foley since I don't think his upside is any higher than either of theirs.

To me, Blais just doesn't look dynamic enough to fill a top 6 role here and he doesn't really project as the sort of player that will fill a bottom 6 role. Since there's a lot of talk about having "4 scoring lines" right now, let me put it a different way. I think Blais needs to play with skilled players to get enough out of him to stick in the NHL, and I don't think he brings enough to the table right now to justify a slot with those sorts of players given the competition he's up against. I also don't think his game away from the puck or the style he plays is conducive to winning a spot on lower lines if he's not putting up points. I've been wrong about him before and there's still plenty of time for him to continue to evolve his game, but I don't think he's particularly close, or even particularly likely, to sticking in the NHL within this organization. I have a feeling I'm going to be lower on him than most.

I think that covers most of the guys who might get consideration here. I ended up going with Walman after waffling over it for awhile. Toropchenko and Blais were the two from this group that probably won't crack my top 10.

Yes, lots of guys in about the same tier here and this is a good rundown.

Lots of unknown with a lot of these guys...hopefully we’ll know a lot more by mid-season.

Hard to say why Walman had a bad year. Regardless, the Blues having their own affiliate this season should definitely help. I expect him to get back on track.

Mikkola is a big unknown IMO. We have Ransku’s ravings but other that a few Liiga games I’ve streamed and previous prospects camps and some video, we don’t have a ton to go on. I like what I’ve seen though but I’ll add that I would expect him to provide next to no offense.

Foley is still a bit of an unknown to us too. I only got to watch 1 game of his after the Stastny trade. I like the package of skills and how he crashes the net but he’s still largely a wildcard. And now he’s moving to the pro game.

Same with Stevens moving from college to pros. I’m a lot more familiar with him but it’s always a lot easier to project NHL ability once a guy has played in the AHL a bit instead of juniors/college.

How does Sanford look after missing pretty much an entire season? Does it become a small blip on his career or did it derail his career? Another big unknown.

And Perunovich is a big unknown too. The only Duluth game I watched this season was the national championship game but he wasn’t a Blues prospect then so I didn’t pay particular attention to him. I certainly noticed him though. But again, another huge wildcard.

And what’s the true story on Fitzpatrick? He looked bad and had sloppy mechanics the little I saw of him (I don’t really watch the Q) but then he gets traded, goes on some insane win streak and then helps lead his new team to a Memorial Cup championship. Huh? This will be a big year for him. I assume in the ECHL? I can only assume the plan is for Binny to be in the AHL since they qualified him.

And what’s up with Musil? He had a great start as a pro but had trouble establishing himself with the Rampage last season. Was it another example of the lack of affiliation having an adverse affect on one of our prospects or is he just not good enough to make it as a 4C?

And finally, Toropchenko. I really like what I see what I watch him play but I’ve come to an unfortunate conclusion. He has no finishing ability. Like, none. But he’s huge and has speed and drives to the net. He’s like the merging of Jaskin and Paajarvi. I could see him being a useful 4th liner in time but probably not more than that because he can’t finish unfortunately. Anyway, maybe I view him differently too though after another season in the OHL.

What was the point of this post again? Oh, right. There’s lots of wildcards in this tier! I could see a lot of these guys going way up or down on a lot of lists as I could see their seasons go a number of ways. Alright, I’m going to bed now.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Yes, lots of guys in about the same tier here and this is a good rundown.

Lots of unknown with a lot of these guys...hopefully we’ll know a lot more by mid-season.

Hard to say why Walman had a bad year. Regardless, the Blues having their own affiliate this season should definitely help. I expect him to get back on track.

Mikkola is a big unknown IMO. We have Ransku’s ravings but other that a few Liiga games I’ve streamed and previous prospects camps and some video, we don’t have a ton to go on. I like what I’ve seen though but I’ll add that I would expect him to provide next to no offense.

Foley is still a bit of an unknown to us too. I only got to watch 1 game of his after the Stastny trade. I like the package of skills and how he crashes the net but he’s still largely a wildcard. And now he’s moving to the pro game.

Same with Stevens moving from college to pros. I’m a lot more familiar with him but it’s always a lot easier to project NHL ability once a guy has played in the AHL a bit instead of juniors/college.

How does Sanford look after missing pretty much an entire season? Does it become a small blip on his career or did it derail his career? Another big unknown.

And Perunovich is a big unknown too. The only Duluth game I watched this season was the national championship game but he wasn’t a Blues prospect then so I didn’t pay particular attention to him. I certainly noticed him though. But again, another huge wildcard.

And what’s the true story on Fitzpatrick? He looked bad and had sloppy mechanics the little I saw of him (I don’t really watch the Q) but then he gets traded, goes on some insane win streak and then helps lead his new team to a Memorial Cup championship. Huh? This will be a big year for him. I assume in the ECHL? I can only assume the plan is for Binny to be in the AHL since they qualified him.

And what’s up with Musil? He had a great start as a pro but had trouble establishing himself with the Rampage last season. Was it another example of the lack of affiliation having an adverse affect on one of our prospects or is he just not good enough to make it as a 4C?

And finally, Toropchenko. I really like what I see what I watch him play but I’ve come to an unfortunate conclusion. He has no finishing ability. Like, none. But he’s huge and has speed and drives to the net. He’s like the merging of Jaskin and Paajarvi. I could see him being a useful 4th liner in time but probably not more than that because he can’t finish unfortunately. Anyway, maybe I view him differently too though after another season in the OHL.

What was the point of this post again? Oh, right. There’s lots of wildcards in this tier! I could see a lot of these guys going way up or down on a lot of lists as I could see their seasons go a number of ways. Alright, I’m going to bed now.
Did Walman have a bad year? I didn't watch him too much, but I live near Binghamton and I've talked to several of their fans who say he was a great addition.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Did Walman have a bad year? I didn't watch him too much, but I live near Binghamton and I've talked to several of their fans who say he was a great addition.
Walman looked terrible in the few games I saw him play. His defense was the worst part of his game, with his offense looking quite sloppy as well. I didn’t see him once he went to Binghamton. He looked lost defensively. It was a shock to me the first time I saw it. But then I saw it a couple more times.

Reactions: The Note in MI

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Walman looked terrible in the few games I saw him play. His defense was the worst part of his game, with his offense looking quite sloppy as well. I didn’t see him once he went to Binghamton. He looked lost defensively. It was a shock to me the first time I saw it. But then I saw it a couple more times.
that's pretty sad to hear. Based on watching him in college and at his first few prospect camps, I thought he'd be better than Dunn.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
that's pretty sad to hear. Based on watching him in college and at his first few prospect camps, I thought he'd be better than Dunn.
I never thought he would be as good as Dunn, but I thought he would be close. I didn’t watch Walman more than a handful of times, but the times I watched was rough. Hopefully that was just a blip on an otherwise strong career. And that’s not to mention that last year was a bit of a shit show with our AHL situation.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

I heard the same - that he was much better with Binghamton...but I didn’t see him play once after he was transferred to them so I can’t give a personal opinion. Maybe the problem was usage? System? Who knows. Probably a mix of his fault and his situation. He should be in a much better spot this season. No real excuse to not step forward in his career this year.

One thing I’ll say though is that competition on the left side in SA should be fierce with Butler (captain and played top pairing all of last season), Walman, Mikkola and Lindbohm but maybe 1-2 of them can switch to the right side. I know Walman played both sides in college.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I heard the same - that he was much better with Binghamton...but I didn’t see him play once after he was transferred to them so I can’t give a personal opinion. Maybe the problem was usage? System? Who knows. Probably a mix of his fault and his situation. He should be in a much better spot this season. No real excuse to not step forward in his career this year.

One thing I’ll say though is that competition on the left side in SA should be fierce with Butler (captain and played top pairing all of last season), Walman, Mikkola and Lindbohm but maybe 1-2 of them can switch to the right side. I know Walman played both sides in college.

If they switch Walman to the right side wouldn’t that provide the excuse if he fails to adapt? Hope he isn’t the one switched even if he did well I doubt the Blues would ever use him on the right side.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Another reason why I expect Lindbohm to head back to Europe.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Another reason why I expect Lindbohm to head back to Europe.

Agreed. I’ll count him for now but he held out to the start of training camp last season trying to get a one-way contract. He’s at the same spot this season and still hasn’t earned a one-way IMO. He’s at a point in his career where he’s been passed up and likely has very little shot at an NHL career at this point so he might was well go back home and make more money there than he would in the AHL. That’s what I’d do if I were him anyway.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well, truthfully, my thoughts aren't that much different from yours.

I love his combination of physicality, skating, and defensive positioning. Mikkola and Toropchenko are the best 6'3"+ skaters I've seen the Blues own in a long time. Mikkola has incredible edge-work and pushes off so effortlessly. Although his hot and puck-handling aren't his strong-suits, I don't think it will hamper his game any. He might not have the potential that I see in Walman, but I think his professional game is far superior at this point in time as evidenced by his play in the FEL. Mikkola also has the added benefit of playing anywhere up-and-down the Blues left-side. In short, he looks to be what Edmundson is now, although with much better skating but a worse shot. I'll gladly take another Edmundson on the roster with potential for more.

Ty.

Yes his east - west skating is really impressive such a tall guy. I believe if he can build mor muscles he could increse his first power strides. Yes his puck-handlings isn't greatest, but has impored from compare to last season, but he can hold the puck on the blueline, 'cus he has very good east - west (side) skating. Puck handling or passing isn't maybe problem, 'cus he plays so easy and safe passing game so it won't be problme (imo).

His shot is weak or poor, but his corner plays or let say taking charge to play offensive zone in corners and cycle is surprisingly good when he's 'listed' as defensive dmen or is knowed for playing physical game only etc.

It will so interesting to see how good camp Mikkola will show and interesting to see how he managed pre-season games and can he push Jbo or Gunnar out of 3rd pair. I believe Mikkola is ahead of Walman already.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I am comfortably going with Schmaltz here. Gets real interesting after this. I could make a case for any of Foley, Sanford, Blais, Toropchenko, Walman, Mikkola, Reinke and Fitz, who I think make up the next grouping. Could throw Perunovich in there as well but I just didn't get to see enough of him at prospect camp.

I don't think Reinke is a prospect. Really he is just a guy. He may be an 8th guy at best. Kind of like Perunovich. Lots of guys have higher ceilings than both. Just my opinion...watched them both play in college and really wasn't the least bit impressed. Foley is a far better prospect than both. I put him other Walman who is a much better prospect than both Reinke and Perunovich.

Reactions: simon IC

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I don't think Reinke is a prospect. Really he is just a guy. He may be an 8th guy at best. Kind of like Perunovich. Lots of guys have higher ceilings than both. Just my opinion...watched them both play in college and really wasn't the least bit impressed. Foley is a far better prospect than both. I put him other Walman who is a much better prospect than both Reinke and Perunovich.

I understand and admit I haven't done my due diligence yet on guys like Reinke and Perunovich. I am more going off clips I have found on YouTube, professional scouting reports and my own viewing of them at prospect camp.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Yeah, agree. I’m really high on Foley. He’s a Backes light

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think Foley and Walman have the highest upsides. I chose Walman, because he's a defenceman who has a good shot, carries the puck well, and has good offensive sense. And he skates well, can defend, and is not afraid of contact, and getting into the tough places. Mikkola is close, and Schmaltz is near The NHL (but with a lower upside. All 4 are really too close to call. But I think Walman will be the most valuable player over time, simply because high-quality defencemen are more valuable than equally high quality forwards. I expect Foley to be a valuable power forward.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Its really could become problem in next year noting if Walman and Mikkola both show they can be NHL defenseman full time job. Ofc there is also possibility for play off-side, but that isn't best fit for prospect who is still young and has room to progress, it could regress his progress.

But overally positive problem have such a deep depth in d-core.
Code:
Ed - Pietro
Dunn - Parayko
Walman/Mikkola - Schmaltz

Off the table Gunnar + Jbo + Bortuzzo after next season.

Ofc this is all hype positive assumption that Walman, Mikkola and Schmaltz can crack in NHL level, but there is really good change we might see this kind of problem in future.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Went with Perunovich, everything I read about him in prospect camp just made me like him.

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
24vzjt.jpg
YgqkHV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad