• Anton Andersson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Evan Fitzpatrick takes the #11 spot by just narrowly beating out Sanford. Who will take the #12 spot?

Blues Prospect List:
1) Robert Thomas (92.1%)
2) Jordan Kyrou (87.4%)
3) Ville Husso (56.4%)
4) Klim Kostin (52.0%)
5) Dominik Bokk (73.4%)
6) Jordan Schmaltz (36.8%)
7) Jake Walman (49.0%)
8) Samuel Blais (32.3%)
9) Niko Mikkola (48.0%)
10) Erik Foley (51.9%)
11) Evan Fitzpatrick (36.4%)

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
source.gif

giphy.gif

Full speed ahead!

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
For those voting Toropchenko, sell me on why he should be this high.

I like his size, skating and how he drives to the net but he’s has virtually no finishing ability at all. I wish he did as coupled with his other skills that’d be quite the package but he just has no touch around the net and has never put up impressive pt totals anywhere that I’ve seen. If he’s putting up meh #s in his D+1 year in Jrs there’s really no reason to think he’s going to magically figure out how to finish as a pro. Because of that, I don’t think he can be projected to be an NHL top-9er. Likely projects as a 4th line winger IMO...a 4th line winger that will play a style of game fans love if he makes it but still, there are guys still on the board that project better than that IMO.

Am I missing something with Toropchenko?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I went with Sanford, but we are at the tier where I don't care as much. I do not see a "guaranteed NHL'er" on the list. Sanford comes the closest to being that. I hope I am not sounding overly pessimistic when I state that I doubt most of the remaining prospects will not be regular NHL players.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
For those voting Toropchenko, sell me on why he should be this high.

I like his size, skating and how he drives to the net but he’s has virtually no finishing ability at all. I wish he did as coupled with his other skills that’d be quite the package but he just has no touch around the net and has never put up impressive pt totals anywhere that I’ve seen. If he’s putting up meh #s in his D+1 year in Jrs there’s really no reason to think he’s going to magically figure out how to finish as a pro. Because of that, I don’t think he can be projected to be an NHL top-9er. Likely projects as a 4th line winger IMO...a 4th line winger that will play a style of game fans love if he makes it but still, there are guys still on the board that project better than that IMO.

Am I missing something with Toropchenko?

Sanford is a worse version of Barbashev in that he has very little that sets him apart. He still is lanky as hell and I don’t see him being quick enough to play at the NHL level and overcome his meh at best skillset. I do not think he becomes more than a Ty Rattie without a good shot - which isn’t much f anything at the NHL level.

Toropchenko needs to adjust to NA ice and I am willing to overlook his year in Guelph, although I don’t think it was terrible. Toropchenko has decent hands, excellent top speed, size, a desire to play rough, and works hard around the boards. He has a nose for driving the net and enjoys going to the rough areas. I don’t think he be better than a third liner unless he starts scoring more, but a third liner with that skillset is still worth a lot more than Sanford, IMO.

My ranking:

Toropchenko
Binnington

Perunovich (still need to see more but I have some serious doubts about him that have very little to do with size; supposed upside keeps him afloat for now)

Sanford

Everyone else that I don’t know enough about.

I think a lot of people are voting towards NHL readiness, but, IMO, Sanford isn’t NHL-ready and never will be - at least not as anything more than a 13th forward.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I had to go with again Sanford here, basically because he's already played a fair amount of games in The NHL, and looked not out of place at times. Binnington, Perunovich, and Toropchenko all have the possibility to pass him if things go right for them, and not for him. But, more has to happen for them to get them there. I don't think any of them will have stellar NHL careers, but, I think all 4 will play in some The NHL. Perunovich might be the most likely to have a chance to be an effective NHLer, while he also is the most likely to never reach The NHL. He's a complete question mark, at this point. I've always liked Musil and Stevens as having a chance to become role players. But, they need to keep their noses to the grindstone. The next few years will be interesting. I'm considering retiring from my business after 1 more year. If so, I'll have a lot more time to follow hockey more closely.

Last edited:

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I had to go with again Sanford here, basically because he's already played a fair amount of games in The NHL, and looked not out of place at times. Binnington, Perunovich, and Toropchenko all have the possibility to pass him if things go right for them, and not for him. But, more has to happen for them to get them there. I don't any of them will have stellar NHL careers, but, I think all 4 will play in some The NHL. Perunovich might be the most likely to have a chance to be an effective NHLer, while he also is the most likely to never reach The NHL. He's a complete question mark, at this point. I've always liked Musil and Stevens as having a chance to become role players. But, they need to keep their noses to the grindstone. The next few years will be interesting. I'm considering retiring from my business after 1 more year. If so, I'll have a lot more time to follow hockey more closely.
I think that's reasonable. I went with Toropchenko because I feel his ceiling is higher and potentially is a middle six player. I don't really see Sanford being much more than a very good 4th liner.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think that's reasonable. I went with Toropchenko because I feel his ceiling is higher and potentially is a middle six player. I don't really see Sanford being much more than a very good 4th liner.
I agree. If Toropchenko gains enough strength, learns to play adequate defence, and plays a somewhat more physical game, and is willing to do the hard work to make operating room for himself, fights hard for position and the puck, and works hard all the time, he should become a fine 3rd Liner, and possible short-term 2nd Line fill-in on The NHL level. I hope for some improvement in his shot, as well. He also will be helped by being at least a "poor man's power forward" - just like what Foley needs to do.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Sanford by default I guess. I don’t expect much out of anyone left. I voted Binnington because I was drunk.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Sanford is a worse version of Barbashev in that he has very little that sets him apart. He still is lanky as hell and I don’t see him being quick enough to play at the NHL level and overcome his meh at best skillset. I do not think he becomes more than a Ty Rattie without a good shot - which isn’t much f anything at the NHL level.

Toropchenko needs to adjust to NA ice and I am willing to overlook his year in Guelph, although I don’t think it was terrible. Toropchenko has decent hands, excellent top speed, size, a desire to play rough, and works hard around the boards. He has a nose for driving the net and enjoys going to the rough areas. I don’t think he be better than a third liner unless he starts scoring more, but a third liner with that skillset is still worth a lot more than Sanford, IMO.

My ranking:

Toropchenko
Binnington

Perunovich (still need to see more but I have some serious doubts about him that have very little to do with size; supposed upside keeps him afloat for now)

Sanford

Everyone else that I don’t know enough about.

I think a lot of people are voting towards NHL readiness, but, IMO, Sanford isn’t NHL-ready and never will be - at least not as anything more than a 13th forward.

Eh, seems like you just described either a faster version of Jaskin or a power forward version of MPS...the common denominator being that neither of these 3 players have any finish ability, regulating them to 4th line duties. Perhaps Toropchenko can somehow find an ability to finish, but I think it’s much more likely that he becomes a 4th line role player - if he makes the NHL, that will be a “win” though for our scouting department.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Eh, seems like you just described either a faster version of Jaskin or a power forward version of MPS...the common denominator being that neither of these 3 players have any finish ability, regulating them to 4th line duties. Perhaps Toropchenko can somehow find an ability to finish, but I think it’s much more likely that he becomes a 4th line role player - if he makes the NHL, that will be a “win” though for our scouting department.
Sanford is a Jaskin without the weight or the defensive game.

I’m not saying Toropchenko is a great prospect - he’s just got more goin for him than Sanford.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Eh, seems like you just described either a faster version of Jaskin or a power forward version of MPS...

I think this is very accurate.

It’s unfortunate as I really want to like Toropchenko more as I like the way he plays but without the finishing ability, I just don’t see him becoming the 3rd liner and definitely not the 2nd liner some here are projecting. I mean, I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see it.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Also, really surprised Stevens isn’t getting more love. Over a pt/game his last 3 years of college, 6’3”, goes to the dirty areas and battles well in front of the net, pretty good skills (but still raw and unpolished) and good leadership qualities too.

I could see him as either a 3rd or 4th liner in time and he’s pretty versatile too - can play both wing and center.

Sanford gets my vote in this poll but I’m just surprised Stevens doesn’t even seem to be a consideration yet for many.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Also, really surprised Stevens isn’t getting more love. Over a pt/game his last 3 years of college, 6’3”, goes to the dirty areas and battles well in front of the net, pretty good skills (but still raw and unpolished) and good leadership qualities too.

I could see him as either a 3rd or 4th liner in time and he’s pretty versatile too - can play both wing and center.

Sanford gets my vote in this poll but I’m just surprised Stevens doesn’t even seem to be a consideration yet for many.
I don’t watch college hockey nor know he proper conversion rate for college production to NHL. He’s definitely better than some, but I don’t know enough to give him justice.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I went with Perunovich because someone compared him to Torey Krug. I'd like to have a Krug type ready in 2-3 years.
Actually, I've read a couple people rave about his skating, passing ability, IQ, competitiveness, and recent rate of development. ... and he has the Bill Armstrong stamp of approval since he picked him with Jon Tychonick still on the board.
Sanford looks so thin and frail, like at any moment in the NHL he could shatter into pieces.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
I have Perunovich next, but yeah, Stevens is getting really overlooked here, and Musil too. I've got both of them ahead of Toropchenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad