7- Ellis
8-Tucker
9- Kessel
10- Toropchenko

8-10 is probably open to some debate.

Reactions: Mike Liut

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think the top 3 should be relatively easy to rank, the next 7 seem to be somewhat even or unknown:
1) Kostin - he's proven all he needs to prove professionally to be an NHL player. Plays tough, has some good skill, and skates really well for a big guy.
2) Perunovich - really effective at his position and proved a lot as an undersized d-man. The injury hurts for evaluating, but he's no doubt a pp quarterback and quality NHL player.
3) Alexandrov - He plays a good 2-way game as a center, though played parts of the wing while in Europe. He wasn't a star as a 20 year old, but played a good bottom 6 role before really hitting his stride in the AHL.
4) Neighbours - Responsible forward who really took a huge step offensively following his draft year. Needs improvement on skating, but if he can do that, he is a legit top 6 option down the road.
5) Bolduc - Drafted as a center, but might project as a winger. Plays a 2-way game with good offensive skills, good skating, and loves to work. He would be an excellent 3rd liner, maybe a good 2nd liner in a few years if everything pans out the way it should.
6) Robertsson - I think he possesses more skill and projects to be a bigger impact player than the players listed below, but I'd like to see how he develops following his draft year. He's a bit further down the rank because I know more about the other players, but Robertsson right now looks like a steal.
7) Stevens - He is a bit older, but still technically a prospect. I think he can be a good bottom 6 player if he can develop a good pk/defensive game, as it seems like he was utilized as an O'Reilly type player where he plays all situations. He isn't going to thrive in the NHL as an offensive player, but he does possess skill that should translate.
8) Kessel - He will most definitely be a pp option in the AHL, but I don't know if the Blues can handle having so many 1-dimensional players. If he can develop a more well-rounded game in the minors, I think he could be a good 5/6 defenseman, maybe more.
9) Toropchenko - His speed is his biggest asset and it's a big one. He needs to focus solely on defending, blocking lanes, stick checking, etc because his hands will probably never catch up to his speed unless he trains heavily. I like him as a prospect, but he's going to have to work hard to break into this RW heavy lineup.
10) Tucker - By all accounts he should not be where he's at. He seemed like a draft pick that was picked based on aggressiveness and toughness, but managed to become a legit scoring defenseman after being drafted. He starts in the AHL playing nearly all of the games, scores 7 points in 27 games as a 1st year, 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman, and is 1 of 5 players who played 20+ games AND had a + rating on a mediocre team. He has to be one of the most improved players that has been drafted recently, and hopefully he can fix his skating and become an NHL defenseman.

Not a lot of honorable mentions since the rest of the players we have are unknowns, unproductive, or goalies. Clearly we are top heavy, but I definitely think we ought to be recouping some draft picks for the future.

Reactions: stlbluz

greybush314

Dec 23, 2020
1)Kostin
Closest to be an NHL player and could see top 9 minutes. Upside is top line PF scorer who is a terror to play against.

2)Alexandrov
He's above Perunovich because his floor is higher imo. I think his floor is a 4th line guy and ceiling is middle six 2way center. He hasn't seen much opportunity in his career to really blossom offensively and I think we see that happen this year.

3)Perunovich
Can be an outstanding offensive defenseman who is one of the best PP QB in the league. I have doubts he'll ever be good enough defensively to get enough minutes to be an effective scorer 5 on 5.

4)Neighbours
Excited about him and think he's a Blues hockey guy through and through. Reminds me of a young Oshie but might be a better skater

5)Bolduc
He said in a post draft interview that he preferred playing LW. He played C his last season and perhaps that was the reason his stats weren't as impressive as anticipated. Kyrou had a similar problem in juniors. He didn't really blow up until he moved to wing.

6) Robertsson
Thought about actually putting him above Bolduc. I think his ceiling is much higher but he has high bust potential too due to him not playing in NA yet. I wonder if he didn't get a good look from scouts last year due to the pandemic. Sounds like he could be a huge steal if his shooting prowess is as good as advertised.

Nothing else worth writing about. Hofer and Ellis are promising goalie prospects but are far far away from being legit prospects.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Don't we do a poll for this every year? Why go now. Oh well.

1)Bolduc
2) Hofer
3) Ellis
4) Kostin
5) Robertsson
6) Zherenko
7) Kessel
8) Neighbors
9) Alexandrov
10) Perunovich

Neighbors and Alexandrov max out as bottom 6 players and I value upside over floor. Perunovich will not get a shot here with Krug signed so long. I hope they both never play a game together. Poor Parayko would have to be his old self and play 40+ minutes to cover for them. He and Bortuzzo would be the only guys on our D who know what the "defense" part of defenseman means.

I really like Bolduc, Robertsson and the goalies. Our prospect pool still sucks.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

1)Bolduc
2) Hofer
3) Ellis
4) Kostin
5) Robertsson
6) Zherenko
7) Kessel
8) Neighbors
9) Alexandrov
10) Perunovich

Neighbors and Alexandrov max out as bottom 6 players and I value upside over floor. Perunovich will not get a shot here with Krug signed so long. I hope they both never play a game together. Poor Parayko would have to be his old self and play 40+ minutes to cover for them. He and Bortuzzo would be the only guys on our D who know what the "defense" part of defenseman means.

I really like Bolduc, Robertsson and the goalies. Our prospect pool still sucks.
We do. I've been the one doing the poll in recent years. But that is usually after the prospect camp/free agency buzz dies down and we officially enter the doldrums of summer. However, it is basically August so it makes sense to start one soon.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We do. I've been the one doing the poll in recent years. But that is usually after the prospect camp/free agency buzz dies down and we officially enter the doldrums of summer. However, it is basically August so it makes sense to start one soon.

I was asking rhetorically. But let me take the chance to thank you for the work you do on those.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Maybe hold off until after training camp or the Prospect Tourney if it happens this year. Give a chance to see some of the kids in person.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Here's my post from the NHL Prospects thread:

-

(For clarification, I don't rank goalies, bottom six forwards, or third-pairing defensemen highly; goalies are too volatile, and I normally rank the potential of players higher than whether or not they'll make the NHL.)

1. Klim Kostin, LW/RW. (Kostin, after his performance in the Gagarin Cup, deserves this top spot. He struggled for a while in the AHL, but the adversity probably helped him. He's a power-winger who could probably play both left and right wing, he has a booming shot, he's an absolute wrecking ball, and he's faster than you'd think. Honestly, I'd give him a third line job - if not more - this year, with the potential for a top six spot down the road; he has that kind of potential. He was always described as having all the tools, but no toolbox. Now he bought himself a toolbox, and it's glorious, lemme tell you.)

2. Jake Neighbours, LW. (Neighbours, with his amazing performance in the WHL and his excellent training camp, could be a steal along the lines of a poor man's Matthew Tkachuk. He definitely plays the same way: he's a pest, but a damn efficient one - both offensively and defensively. Offensively, he uses his teammates well and has a good shot; defensively, he already plays a 200 foot game. I really believe that he's going to be a top six winger in this league, and it may even be sooner than later.)

3. Scott Perunovich, LD. (Perunovich only falls to three because of his shoulder surgery, but the Hobey Baker winner is a likely top four defenseman, maybe even top three. He's an offensive dynamo who makes smart decisions all over the ice, and while I worry about his size defensively, he does compete all over, and I'm not going to bet against him. I think he's going to be better than even Dunn was, better than Walman and Mikkola, for sure. So yeah, I see him being called up eventually and never relinquishing the job.)

4. Zachary Bolduc, C/LW . (Yes, Bolduc may be considered a reach by some. Yes, he has his flaws (he needs to play better defensively). Still, I think he's just the guy who will give the Blues a shot in the arm, especially if he keeps shooting like he did in the Q, continues to be physical, and improves his defensive game. If he sticks at center, that would be amazing, but even on wing, he could be a potential top-six forward with offensive skill. I honestly think that he's more middle-six than top six, but that's not a slight meant to him; I think he's going to be a good player for a very long time.)

5. Simon Robertsson, RW. (Robertsson...what to say about him? I have no idea why he fell, but I'm glad the Blues traded up to get him. He simply puts pucks in the net, he plays an underrated defensive game, and his speed is solid as well. This is the type of player you dream about in the second round, and to get him in the third...yeah. I think he has the potential to be a top-six forward, but I'd say he ends up more like a middle-six scoring right winger, which isn't a bad thing in the least.)

6. Nikita Alexandrov, C. (Alexandrov is a very underrated player. He'll be a solid middle-six center - where he's proven he can stick - plays a 200 foot game, has great vision and hockey IQ, good speed, and will do his fair share offensively. He's proven his worth in the Q, played quite a fair few games in the AHL after being loaned to KooKoo, and he may even start with the big club given Sundqvist's injury.)

7. Leo Lööf, LD. (Lööf is, in my opinion, very underrated by even Blues fans. He's played against men in Sweden and has more than held his own. He'll be playing in Finland this year, which I'll be interested to see. He's not big, doesn't have many loud tools, but he's simply smooth in almost every action he does on the ice, and is cool, calm, and collected. He looks the part of a second pairing defenseman.)

8. Dylan Peterson, C/RW. (Peterson is a tall, imposing center who plays for Boston University. He has decent speed and offensive creativity as well; this is not just a big body up front. I don't know if he sticks at center, but he could be a big middle-six power-winger if he can't hack it at center. He has oodles of potential, but he needs to have a good year.)

9. Tanner Dickinson, C/LW. (Dickinson falls here because of the lack of an OHL season last year, but if he bulks up without losing the blazing speed that made him so coveted by the Blues last year, I bet he can be a solid middle-six forward. He's got a lot of offensive flair as well. I think he's better off on the wing so he can utilize his speed, but if he can stick at center, all the better.)

10. Matthew Kessel, RD. (The only reason Kessel isn't higher on this list is because he was an overager when drafted, and therefore, I need to see another good season from him being the top defenseman on UMass's team. But this year, he showed offensive instincts I wasn't expecting, to go along with solid defense. Could he be merely a third-pairing defenseman? Sure, but I'm not going to bet against him, that's for damn sure.)

-

So, yeah, that's it.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
1. Kostin
2. Alexandrov
3. Neighbors
4. Perunivich
5. Bolduc
6. Robertsson
7. Tucker
8. Peterson
9. Toropechenko
10. Dickinson

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Do it.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don't know enough to make a ranking, and I usually don't vote in the prospect rankings. But I get the sense the Blues' front office values Perunovich maybe higher than Kostin. His lost year of development muddles the picture a bit, but I think he would be projecting to an NHL roster spot this year if that hadn't happened.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Assuming Husso, Mikkola, and Walman are considered graduated, I would go with something like:

1. Klim Kostin
2. Scott Perunovich
3. Zach Bolduc
4. Jake Neighbours
5. Nikita Alexandrov
6. Joel Hofer
7. Matt Kessel
8. Simon Robertsson
9. Vadim Zherenko
10. Colten Ellis

HM: Tyler Tucker, Dakota Joshua, Dylan Peterson

Kostin tops my list after a strong KHL season, really excited to see what he can bring in the NHL. I saw or heard a great Bob Hartley quote to the effect that there was not a single KHL defenseman who didn't remember who Kostin was after playing against him the playoffs. Perunovich is tough to rank given he basically missed the whole year. I'm not going to punish him in my ranking for that tho, still a very promising player. Considered switching Alexandrov and Neighbours, they're pretty close IMO. Think Alexandrov gets underrated a bit, but I came away impressed with both their seasons last year. I don't know a ton about Bolduc, so kind of just tossed him in there at 3 based mostly on draft rankings/pedigree. Similar deal for Robertsson, neither he nor Bolduc were guys I looked at heavily pre-draft so mostly going off what I've read since then. Kessel I did get a chance to see a bit, and he looked good for the most part. I'd say he's on track to be a solid bottom pairing puck mover, but he has room to grow and develop into more of a 2nd pairing guy.

Hofer could be higher but goalies are tough and last season was such a weird small sample. He could jump up my rankings with a strong full season in the AHL, his play last season was impressive considering he was only 20 playing behind a weak team. I'm not sold on Ellis despite his strong season last year in the Q. Hard to say how much was him being a great prospect and how much was playing behind a great team as a 20 year old in juniors. Zherenko just keeps developing nicely, playing tougher competition, and putting up great numbers.

All in all, I think we have a pretty decent pipeline considering where & how often we have been picking.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

1)Bolduc
2) Hofer
3) Ellis
4) Kostin
5) Robertsson
6) Zherenko
7) Kessel
8) Neighbors
9) Alexandrov
10) Perunovich

As to the bolded, I completely agree! (I am glad that someone else is of the same opinion, too!) I was thinking Perunovich could be an add-on to a Tarasenko trade.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
As to the bolded, I completely agree! (I am glad that someone else is of the same opinion, too!) I was thinking Perunovich could be an add-on to a Tarasenko trade.
I mean Dunn had chances to play with Krug here, same for Walman. Arguably, those 3 are redundant players, and people will inevitably get hurt. Perunovich will most certainly get a shot here at some point.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
My list probably changes by the day, but today it looks like this:

01. Zach Bolduc LW
02. Jake Neighbours LW
03. Hofer G
04. Kostin RW/LW
05. Perunovich LD/RD
06. Ellis G
07. Alexandrov C
08. Robertsson RW
09. Kessel RD
10. Dickinson LW/C

HM: Tucker LD - Zherenko G - Peterson RW/C - Laferriere RW/C

I rate the players mostly on upside, hence why Bolduc and Neighbours (who have a chance to be complementary top 6 pieces) are ranked higher than Kostin (who has a bigger chance to become an NHL-regular but I predict to be a really good 3rd liner). Perunovich is 'only' at the 5th place, this is because I don't know if last seasons injury set him back in his development: if he didn't got injured last season he'd probably had a good chance at being an NHL-regular coming season.

Dickingson and the HM's are very close, so he can easily be swapped another time, but I chose for Dickinson today because I think he could have a huge potential we haven't found out yet. As I've written before, Dickinson is a great skater, good stickhandler and has a good offensive awareness, his only downside is his weight, which apparantly he worked on and added bulk to his skinny frame. It's a shame he wasn't able to play last season, so I hope he will surprise everyone this year. He's probably going to be on the Greyhounds top line, so watch out for a breakout season.

Kessel is developing very well, but I want to see if he can do as well next season without having Zac Jones attached to his hip. If he does I can see us sign him at the end of his season as it's probably better in that case to develop him further in the AHL as the Minutemen are stacked next season with right handed defensemen (Scott Morrow, Owen Murray and Ryan Ufko) who need to play.

One thing left to say: We do not have the best farm in the NHL if you look at upside, however I think are farm is really underrated ATM if you look at NHL-potential. Even some guys who aren't mentioned in my top-10 I could easily see them sneak in the NHL, for example Washkurak and Toropchenko are at least as talented as 'a MacEachern' is.

Last edited:
Reactions: stl76 and Blueston

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Posted this in the Prospects thread.
1- Kostin
2- Perunovich
3- Neighbours
4- Bolduc
5- Robertsson
6- Alexandrov
7- Ellis
8-Tucker
9- Kessel
10- Toropchenko

8-10 is probably open to some debate.

Neighbors is closer to cracking the line-up, but Bolduc is the better prospect IMO. If I had to deal one of them, it's Neighbors 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad