Rumor: Blues to move AHL affiliation to KC

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You make it sound like a definite thing, which is the exact opposite of how I'm reading the situation. I'd like to read these 3 articles you reference.

I'm sorry. I should have worded my post differently. I believe Hunt is in the planning stages of his plan to obtain local government funding to build a new arena in Overland Park, Kansas, in which he plans to house his minor league hockey team (or 2 teams). It was not clear whether he would house both his ECHL Missouri Mavericks AND a new AHL franchise, or just upgrade his ECHL franchise to a new AHL team. I believe he has already applied for the new franchise with The AHL. He has alreadyn talked to Blues officials about his new AHL team becoming The Blues new AHL farm team. I believe his plans are to have the new arena finished and ready for the 2018-19 season. He talked with The Blues about becoming a stockholder in The Blues' corporation, and it seems that his investment in setting up the AHL team and arena might suffice as payment for that stock. But the details of the potential deal are not certain. IF it works that way, the new AHL team would be owned by The Blues. At the very least, the new situation with The AHL farm team would be back to full hockey operations control by The Blues, and get rid of the types of limitations they now have in their working agreement with the independent Chicago Wolves.

Some of this is contingent upon Hunt getting the public financing portion for the arena, some continent upon his receiving The AHL franchise, and some upon his making the final agreement with The Blues. Nothing is in stone as of yet. Several things need to gon right. These are only tentative plans. But, I believe that The Blues have agreed, in principle, to the basic elements of the plan.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember the articles I read.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think there is definite room for something like that. It's weird though, KC hates St. Louis, like the people from KC genuinely hate the city of St. Louis. There are a lot of Blues fans, but there are also a good amount of Hawk or other fans just in spite of not wanting to be a Blues fan.

Th heart of the animosity really goes all the way back to the Civil War and the bloody conflicts across the Kansas/MO border IMO. Lotta really ugly and brutal violence that sowed a lot of bad blood that continues to this day in a lot of places. Just ask the Outlaw Josey Wales.

I went to Mizzou in the late 80's. When I was there I went on a date with a girl from KC. At one point she said "you don't seem like most people from STL". I wasn't sure what she meant so she explained that a lot of people from KC hate STL and it's people. She said we were a "midwest cowtown with an east coast attitude". She asked what me what I thought of KC, I told her "I don't". The date went downhill from there. It also struck me that this was probably how people from Chicago viewed STL.
:laugh:

STL definitely does have an "east coast attitude" in some ways. Kansas as a state seriously just sucks. I have no real beef with KC (even half heartedly rooted for the Royals in the WS), but the rest of Kansas is just terrible.

That being said, I really hope the Blues get a stable AHL affiliate in KC. It just makes so much sense for everyone involved it would be a shame if it doesn't end up happening.

Last edited:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
not to mention the fact that I'd take Salt n Smoke or Pappy's over anything Kansas City has to offer

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I went to Mizzou in the late 80's. When I was there I went on a date with a girl from KC. At one point she said "you don't seem like most people from STL". I wasn't sure what she meant so she explained that a lot of people from KC hate STL and it's people. She said we were a "midwest cowtown with an east coast attitude". She asked what me what I thought of KC, I told her "I don't". The date went downhill from there. It also struck me that this was probably how people from Chicago viewed STL.

Haha that's funny...and true.

I never think about Kansas City at all. They are in no way a rival to St. Louis in anything.

Those Royal fans sure do have an inferiority complex, though. My Royal friends never stop talking about the Cardinals. Meanwhile, I, like many people in Kansas City, didn't even know KC had a baseball team until 2014.;)

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Haha that's funny...and true.

I never think about Kansas City at all. They are in no way a rival to St. Louis in anything.

Those Royal fans sure do have an inferiority complex, though. My Royal friends never stop talking about the Cardinals. Meanwhile, I, like many people in Kansas City, didn't even know KC had a baseball team until 2014.;)

I mean, they do have Google fiber. That counts for something at least

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Lol that's a really funny response. It's pretty true, I can't say the last time I thought or talked about KC :laugh:

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Hunt was awarded an expansion USHL franchise and that was what the new arena was going to be for. I had never heard anything linking him to the AHL before this story came up. Everything about the arena status seems murky right now but the development's website still lists it as part of the plan. The final decision was supposed to have been made a few months ago but I haven't been able to find anything certain either way (I think it got lost in all the election news).

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
not to mention the fact that I'd take Salt n Smoke or Pappy's over anything Kansas City has to offer

Salt n Smoke is amazing.

I have no issue with Kansas City but I'm also a huge Chiefs fan so that might have something to do with it.

We can share the Blues and they can share the Chiefs! :yo:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Salt n Smoke is amazing.

I have no issue with Kansas City but I'm also a huge Chiefs fan so that might have something to do with it.

We can share the Blues and they can share the Chiefs! :yo:

Salt and Smoke is like 10x better than Sugarfire. I don't understand the Sugarfire hype. Salt n Smoke is still relatively new, hopefully its hype grows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad