GDT: Blues @ Sharks 11/17 @ 7:30

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
At 5v5, through 2 periods, the Maple Leafs had 21 shots on goal and 19 scoring chances, 7 of which were of the high danger variety.

Tonight, at 5v5, through 2 periods, the Blues have 18 shots on goal and 16 scoring chances, 6 of which are of the high danger variety.

I think there's a difference in their play for sure, but I think it can be mostly explained by competition, and that the biggest difference in the 4 goals against through 2 periods Vs. Toronto, compared to the 0 through 2 against St. Louis, can be explained by goaltending more than any other factor.

Limiting it to just 5v5 is purposely not telling the entire story. Through two periods, the Sharks gave up 29 shots, somehow 31 scoring chances, and 12 high dangers compared to 19 shots, 17 chances, and 6 high dangers. Granted, some of this difference is that the Leafs are a much different and better team but the defense is better and the turnovers have been mitigated.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Limiting it to just 5v5 is purposely not telling the entire story. Through two periods, the Sharks gave up 29 shots, somehow 31 scoring chances, and 12 high dangers compared to 19 shots, 17 chances, and 6 high dangers. Granted, some of this difference is that the Leafs are a much different and better team but the defense is better and the turnovers have been mitigated.

The reason I limit it to 5V5 is because the team defensive issues are primarily present at 5V5. I don’t think their penalty killing is an issue whatsoever.

In addition, the first 5 minutes of this 3rd period are only strengthening the narrative that the difference in goals against is more due to a difference in goaltending than a difference in team defense.

Reactions: Phu

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The reason I limit it to 5V5 is because the team defensive issues are primarily present at 5V5. I don’t think their penalty killing is an issue whatsoever.

In addition, the first 5 minutes of this 3rd period are only strengthening the narrative that the difference in goals against is more due to a difference in goaltending than a difference in team defense.

Dells made some plays. But not one breakaway and like one legit odd man rush.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You’re not wrong! But the human condition is to complain, so I’m not sure it’s unique to this subforum. :laugh:

Whenever I have to ponder the human condition, I am reminded of the many words of philosopher and author Emil Cioran.

“As far as I am concerned, I resign from humanity. I no longer want to be, nor can still be, a man. What should I do? Work for a social and political system, make a girl miserable? Hunt for weaknesses in philosophical systems, fight for moral and esthetic ideals? It’s all too little. I renounce my humanity even though I may find myself alone. But am I not already alone in this world from which I no longer expect anything?”

"To think all the time, to raise questions, to doubt your own destiny, to feel the weariness of living, to be worn out to the point of exhaustion by thoughts and life, to leave behind you, as symbols of life’s drama, a trail of smoke and blood – all this means you are so unhappy that reflection and thinking appear as a curse causing a violent revulsion in you."

“True confessions are written with tears only. But my tears would drown the world, as my inner fire would reduce it to ashes.”

He understood what it means to be a Sharks fan.

(and here's where I admit that my knowledge of Emil Cioran comes entirely from the writing of former Fangraphs contributor Carson Cistulli. I'm not a philosophy nerd, stuffy intellectual, or misanthrope enough to actually have ever legitimately come across works like that :laugh:)

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Except the team's issues have hit them in pretty much all situations. They try to do too much and turn pucks over. The 3rd period is a matter of score effects and playing with a lead. You can't simply ignore the first two periods either just because it doesn't suit your narrative. Just answer a simple question. How many odd-man breaks have the Blues gotten in this game? It's not more than a handful like it was against Toronto. You can't simply ignore that.

Reactions: Alaskanice

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Dells made some plays. But not one breakaway and like one legit odd man rush.

Look, I’m not saying that the defense hasn’t improved tonight. I’m just saying that you have to be biased, and seeing something that you want to, if you don’t think that Dell has been notably better tonight than Jones has been all season. Dell has faced 26 shots and stopped all. Has Jones even had a single stretch of 26 saves without a goal against all season?

Also, Pavs!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad