Status
Not open for further replies.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
1) Tarasenko
2) Schwartz
3) Rattie

I think Allen's still further away than he's generally given credit for being. Jaskin's still years away from hitting his full potential as well, but it's a lot easier to project Jaskin's role in the NHL in 3 years than it is to predict how a goalie will look in 3 years. That gives Jaskin the edge for me.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Jaskin for me as well. Skating is something that can easily be improved and if he improves his skating, he could fill a role on any line IMO.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The 3, 4, 5 spot really could be any of Rattie, Allen, and Jaskin.

I think Rattie rightly took 3 because there's only one thing Jaskin has on him: size/physicality. Rattie is better at everything else, so even if you consider Jaskin a better bet not to wash out, Rattie has more potential to be something the Blues lack.

That's why I go with Allen here and Jaskin next. Goalies are uncertain until they finally arrive, but I think Allen has more potential to be something the Blues lack than Jaskin does. If the Blues were still in a rebuild or already had a killer starter and elite scoring, Jaskin might be more desirable as a player who can step in, learn on the job, perform multiple roles, and have less of a chance of busting, but that's not where they are.

Maybe in a few years, Allen and Rattie aren't in anybody's NHL plans and Jaskin is a 60+ point player, but my feeling is that he doesn't have the same chance at being top end that the other two have - and, more importantly, the Blues need.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
I like Carrier. Really has no shortcomings in his game. If he played on a decent team there's no way he would have made it out of the first round.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
It's hard to compare a skater vs a goalie. Going with Allen but it doesn't matter because I view him and Jaskin as equal.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Jaskin.

We've been doing this for a lot of years and our top goalie prospect is always hyped in these and always is way overrated. I suppose eventually there will be a Blues' goalie prospect who'll be a real #1 goalie. Allen was very meh this season. Had the one amazing save, and in large part because the team had to buckle down defensively in front of him they won more often when he played. He made a great contribution in that his entrance inspired the team to tighten up its game but as far as his actual play and his actual likelihood of being a #1 that's a looooooooooong way from being proven.

I've said it for years now but I sure wish goalies were separated out of these rankings because it's very apples and oranges IMO.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I like Carrier. Really has no shortcomings in his game. If he played on a decent team there's no way he would have made it out of the first round.
Carrier is in the conversation for #5 for me, but I'll probably end up voting for him at #6. I like him quite a bit.

I briefly thought about ranking him above Jaskin, but decided against it because I don't really have a good read on how well Carrier can use his linemates (and make himself available to be used by them). He spent a large chunk of his season playing basically by himself on a team that was pretty crappy. I'd like to see him in a better situation so I can solidify my read on his hockey IQ and play away from the puck before I move him up my list.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Jaskin.

We've been doing this for a lot of years and our top goalie prospect is always hyped in these and always is way overrated. I suppose eventually there will be a Blues' goalie prospect who'll be a real #1 goalie. Allen was very meh this season. Had the one amazing save, and in large part because the team had to buckle down defensively in front of him they won more often when he played. He made a great contribution in that his entrance inspired the team to tighten up its game but as far as his actual play and his actual likelihood of being a #1 that's a looooooooooong way from being proven.

I've said it for years now but I sure wish goalies were separated out of these rankings because it's very apples and oranges IMO.

I agree with everything you said here, but I still pick Allen next.

I agree that he was 'average' by NHL goalie standards in his stretch of games. However, he was also showing a trend toward better and better play as he went along. It was a pretty incredible situation....and there was actually a lot of pressure on him. That was a textbook of how NOT to bring up your young goalie, but Allen rose to the occasion.

I think he's probably not even playing any NHL games this season barring another injury issue.

I guess I'm expressing that I have a 'hunch' Allen is going to be a solid NHL starter and that I think his mental make-up is well-suited to thriving in the NHL. Its more of a gut feeling than an objective analysis of what he's accomplished so far.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Went with Allen based on where he is at compared to Jaskin in development. While I hope Jaskin can reach his potential and feel he may have the best package compared to Rattie and Allen. He is still a bigger question mark. Really....Allen, Rattie, and Jaskin are interchangeable here.

I also see Carrier at #6. I was thinking the same thing.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It is easily Jaškin for me.

I just don't rate goalie prospects highly though. If a goalie doesn't end up a high quality starter, then they are very easily replaceable.

letmesleep

Mar 12, 2009
I like Carrier a lot but I think we need to be looking at our dman prospects here real soon. Let's not forget about them just because they're hard to measure statistically. Our own scouting staff obviously felt highly enough about Vannelli to pick him 10 picks before Carrier. Maybe we should be paying better attention to our blue line guys.

Let's start talking about Binnington soon too.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think Allen has too much potential to pass up here plus he really impressed me last season. He's my pick.

Jaskin at 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad