Prospect Info: Blues Prospect Rankings #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
This is between Rattie and Allen with Jaskin bringing up the rear.

Allen has shown something damn good at the NHL level, but goaltending is a fickle position. It's more important that Allen repeat last year's performance than it is that Rattie tear up the AHL this season.

I'm going with Rattie just because the Blues' goaltending is still up in the air. If they stick with Halak and Elliott and shuffle Allen back down to the minors, that does not bode well for his development. But I think Allen's next.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I feel safer about Jaskin, but I really think Rattie could be the offensive guy we really need.

Going with Rattie, but its really a wash between him, Jaskin and Allen.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Rattie has the higher upside, but Jaškin is the safer bet.

I'll give Rattie the edge because Jaškin still needs to work on his skating.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Rattie. He is a natural scorer...That's why they drafted him. Jaskin's skating needs work.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
if I had to give them scores using the HF rankings this is what I would give them

Allen: 8.5 D chance of being a very good nhl starter, but could stall out and be a decent back up at best. goaltenders are just so hard to judge, he could be a career back up, an all star or anywhere in between.
Rattie: 8.0 C good shot of being a top 6 forward but his size could impede him if he fails to reach that. boom or bust type pick but more likely to boom than allen
Jaskin: 7.5 B jaskin has the size to play as a 3rd line forward so he is less lily to bust than rattie but he also has the lower upside.

So I personally chose Allen because of his upside, but there is certainly the argument to made about either rattie or jaskin being safer bets and therefore more deserving of the #3 slot.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Haha the #2 thread made me laugh.

I vote Rattie here. Natural goal scorer. Right now I think the only advantage Jaskin has over him is the size.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I went with Jaskin. Prototypical power forward. Big. Great hands and mean. Kt 2.0.

I don't have a problem with Ratties size. I don't think it will affect him any more then it does Jaden.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I went with Jaskin. Prototypical power forward. Big. Great hands and mean. Kt 2.0.

I don't have a problem with Ratties size. I don't think it will affect him any more then it does Jaden.

Plus, Rattie is bigger than Schwartz is, anyway.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Its hard to compare goalies and skaters. I went with Allen because I feel like he's going to be something special...and will be a legit NHL starter. Its been a while since the Blues have groomed a goalie prospect that became anything special in the NHL.

Having said that, I think he plays this season in the AHL.

I didn't pick Jaskin because I think he needs to work on his skating and show more against NHL bodies to demonstrate he'll be a solid NHL player (and I think he will). I didn't pick Rattie because I'm concerned he's going to have a lot tougher transition to the pros than many are expecting. I won't be surprised if he struggles in the AHL this season.

letmesleep

Mar 12, 2009
Hard choice, going with Allen. He's got starter potential and is only a step or two from achieving it so I think that makes his value to the organization slightly higher than guys like Rattie and Jaskin who are still a few steps further back in their development.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I went with Rattie. I was a believer in him before he was drafted, and I'm still a believer now. There's not a doubt in my mind that he's going to be a legit NHL contributor. The only question for me is how long will it take. I think Schwartz and Rattie were born to play on a line together. (As an aside, I could also see Rattie struggle a bit in the AHL. I'm not going to read too much into it though. Like Schwartz, Rattie is going to shine brightest when he's playing with guys who can take full advantage of his great hockey instincts.)

Jaskin is my runner up in this three man race. He needs to continue to work on his foot speed and short area quickness. He can do that at the NHL level just as easily as in the AHL, so it wouldn't surprise me if he hits the NHL full time before Rattie does. With that said, I think Jaskin is significantly behind Rattie on the development curve to his full potential.

I'm not quite as high on Allen at the moment as most others are. I would be ok with him backing up a starter at the NHL level, but I think some additional time in the AHL will benefit him greatly. My guess is that it will be another 3 years or so before the Blues even consider asking him to shoulder a starter's load. He still has quite a bit to prove, but he's on the right track. He comes in at #5 for me.

Last edited:

letmesleep

Mar 12, 2009
I went with Rattie. I was a believer in him before he was drafted, and I'm still a believer now. There's not a doubt in my mind that he's going to be a legit NHL contributor. The only question for me is how long will it take. I think Schwartz and Rattie were born to play on a line together.

Jaskin is my runner up in this three man race. He needs to continue to work on his foot speed and short area quickness. He can do that at the NHL level just as easily as in the AHL, so it wouldn't surprise me if he hits the NHL full time before Rattie does. With that said, I think Jaskin is significantly behind Rattie on the development curve to his full potential.

I'm not quite as high on Allen at the moment as most others are. I would be ok with him backing up a starter at the NHL level, but I think some additional time in the AHL will benefit him greatly. My guess is that it will be another 3 years or so before the Blues even consider asking him to shoulder a starter's load. He still has quite a bit to prove, but he's on the right track. He comes in at #5 for me.

Yeah, it's really hard to judge these guys against each other. Rattie has the mind and the skills, the only question is if he's big/fast enough to do it against NHL defenders. Jaskin has the size and speed but we all have to wonder if he's got the skillset to do it at a higher level. Allen has just about everything he'll need to succeed to a degree, but does he have the mental fortitude to battle through the times that he will struggle?

At least that's how I see all these guys and the question marks that still surround them.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah, it's really hard to judge these guys against each other. Rattie has the mind and the skills, the only question is if he's big/fast enough to do it against NHL defenders. Jaskin has the size and speed but we all have to wonder if he's got the skillset to do it at a higher level. Allen has just about everything he'll need to succeed to a degree, but does he have the mental fortitude to battle through the times that he will struggle?

At least that's how I see all these guys and the question marks that still surround them.

This is nearly opposite what I've seen. Rattie isn't big and bulky, but he's 6' to 6'1" (he's the same height as Morgan Rielly and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who are both listed at 6'1") and his skating has improved to the point that his speed is a plus. He is faster than Jaskin is. Jaskin isn't dreadfully slow, but his skating is his worst asset. He is not fast. And I don't think Jaskin's skills with the puck are in question at all. Whether or not he becomes a top-6 kind of guy is certainly yet to be seen, but his skills are already NHL-level.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
All three have a lot to prove in The NHL. All 3 have aspects of their games on which to work. I'll go with Rattie, because he seems to have quite a high upside potential with his shot, scoring eye, positioning on offence, overall offensive instincts. But, he needs to get a lot stronger and grow into his body. Allen needs to prove he can have the mental fortitude on The NHL level, and Jaskin needs to upgrade his skating significantly. I think that all 3 will be regular NHLers.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Rattie reminds me of Dagostini but with actual hockey IQ. If Dags can score 20 with the Blues, I think Rattie can become a perennial 30-40 goal scorer.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Rattie reminds me of Dagostini but with actual hockey IQ. If Dags can score 20 with the Blues, I think Rattie can become a perennial 30-40 goal scorer.

D'Agostini is obviously a really natural athlete. Great skater, stocky and solid guy. Plays a very straight-line game.

Rattie reminds me more of like a less explosive Elias or maybe a slower Vrbata. Going back a ways, I see some Nelson Emerson in him. Maybe Justin Williams.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Allen showed he can play and contribute at a high level in the NHL. While the potential is there for both Jaskin and Rattie, I don't see as many question marks with Allen. I really don't know how to decide between Jaskin and Rattie. Both have put up incredible numbers. Rattie for a much longer time. Jaskin has plus size for the NHL level. This one may be the toughest decision to pick between. I know many may just do the money ball thing and look at numbers, but I've seen many Ratties come and go over the years in the Blues farm system. (same can be said about Jaskin and Allen too) :laugh:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I see Rattie, Jaskin and Allen essentially tied. Rattie probably has the highest potential but he's undersized, needs to work on his defensive game and could improve his physicality too. Jaskin is probably the safest bet but I wonder just how well his offense will translate to the NHL. Allen is probably the most valuable player of the 3 if he reaches his top-end potential but goalies are near impossible to project. For me, I went with Rattie here but I could see these 3 in any order.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I see Rattie, Jaskin and Allen essentially tied. Rattie probably has the highest potential but he's undersized, needs to work on his defensive game and could improve his physicality too. Jaskin is probably the safest bet but I wonder just how well his offense will translate to the NHL. Allen is probably the most valuable player of the 3 if he reaches his top-end potential but goalies are near impossible to project. For me, I went with Rattie here but I could see these 3 in any order.

Feel the exact same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad