GDT: Blues @ Preds

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Curious....You'd feel confident against Boston and Tampa?

Blues could beat the Ducks and maybe the Kings. Chicago is a different story. It doesn't seem to matter when we play them. There are no trends. We can frustrate them but we don't match up well. I both love and hate the thought that they'll be a likely playoff opponent. Need to shed that monkey....

I think we would take a series against Tampa and Boston mostly because that means we would've beaten better teams to get there.

EDIT: I would take our A game over everyone with the exception of Montreal, Chicago, and LA. That's basically what I'm trying to say.

RR10*

I think we would take a series against Boston
No way. I suggest you watch a few Boston games. They play great hockey and they still have Krejci and Chara to add. Imo the Blues match poorly against them. They are too fast and play a rock solid teamplay. Boston is LA 2.0. Sure the LA have been successfull but imo a healthy Boston is the better team. If they had Seguin it wouldn't even be close.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
I think we would take a series against Tampa and Boston mostly because that means we would've beaten better teams to get there.

EDIT: I would take our A game over everyone with the exception of Montreal, Chicago, and LA. That's basically what I'm trying to say.

The problem I see is you'll rarely be able to completely bring your A game against any contending team. That's been the problem really. No shows for our horses (who have largely been shut down) and a huge lack of finish and secondary scoring.

I have a very difficult time agreeing about Boston. We've beaten them with timely scoring despite being (sometimes) badly outplayed. We've hung with them, but they dictate play more than not. We approach them not unlike we approach LAK and CHI...timid.

Thanks for the response. I've been wondering if I'm on ignore lists on this board. Woe is me and all that :cry:

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
No way. I suggest you watch a few Boston games. They play great hockey and they still have Krejci and Chara to add. Imo the Blues match poorly against them. They are too fast and play a rock solid teamplay. Boston is LA 2.0. Sure the LA have been successfull but imo a healthy Boston is the better team. If they had Seguin it wouldn't even be close.

Did boston just get called fast? what am I reading

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Good game guys. I've really enjoyed the Blues/Preds series so far this year. Seems like a playoff atmosphere.

Ribs came so cheap because he moved his family to Nashville for personal reasons (It is a great place to raise a family; especially for celebrities). He had already bought a house before calling Poile to ask if he'd be interested in him playing for the Preds. Also, he is still cashing a rather large check from the Yotes, so he could afford to sign cheap.

He has played much better than any fan could have honestly hoped for. Hopefully, he will give the Preds a discount when it comes to re-signing because of the nice fit (both on and off ice). He certainly deserves a raise over what he is getting paid by the Preds this season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Good game guys. I've really enjoyed the Blues/Preds series so far this year. Seems like a playoff atmosphere.

Ribs came so cheap because he moved his family to Nashville for personal reasons (It is a great place to raise a family; especially for celebrities). He had already bought a house before calling Poile to ask if he'd be interested in him playing for the Preds. Also, he is still cashing a rather large check from the Yotes, so he could afford to sign cheap.

He has played much better than any fan could have honestly hoped for. Hopefully, he will give the Preds a discount when it comes to re-signing because of the nice fit (both on and off ice). He certainly deserves a raise over what he is getting paid by the Preds this season.
I'm not surprised by Ribeiro, the man has skill. Your right, these games are great, always close and pretty clean. For instance when Shattenkirk was "boarded" by Josi. Josi came back and tapped him on the pads. I'm going to enjoy Forsberg vs Tarasenko for years to come.

Now if you guys would just change your goal song....yeesh

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
It is funny to hear you guys complaining about your PP. Preds boards are the same. We have now gone 40 straight PP's at home without converting!:cry:

RR10*

It is funny to hear you guys complaining about your PP. Preds boards are the same. We have now gone 40 straight PP's at home without converting!:cry:
You have to mean 40 mins...I don't think it's possible for an NHL-team to not score on 40 straight PPs = 80 mins with the man adv.

RR10*

They aren't fast, I have. They have a couple fast players but it is far from a team identity, Chara, bergeron, lucic, krejci, none of these guys are fast.
You can't be serious? These guys are pretty fast.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

You say this as if I don't watch them play. I have Gamecenter and watch hockey nearly every night :laugh: I've seen plenty of Bruins games. They are a great team(and they have in my opinion the best goalie in the world) but I think the Blues would beat them. Chara is not the Chara of old(he was badly exposed in the playoffs last year), our transition game is faster, our top line is better, and we have similar depth. It wouldn't be easy, but I think we would take it.
You have to mean 40 mins...I don't think it's possible for an NHL-team to not score on 40 straight PPs = 80 mins with the man adv.

No, I believe he means 40 straight PPs(at home, not all together). I said it during the game that this place would be a nightmare if our PP was as bad as the Preds. They do a lot of things well, scoring on the PP is not one of them. I wonder what kind of success they would have setting up a PP similar to Washington using Forsberg in Ovi's one timer spot. Just isolate him and let him rip one timers. With his shot, some are bound to go in. It's as if they don't know their identity on the PP. They don't know if they want to be a team like the Pens with their cross ice passes, the Flyers jamming the net, low to high like us etc. They don't seem to have much of a strategy on the PP.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The problem I see is you'll rarely be able to completely bring your A game against any contending team. That's been the problem really. No shows for our horses (who have largely been shut down) and a huge lack of finish and secondary scoring.

I have a very difficult time agreeing about Boston. We've beaten them with timely scoring despite being (sometimes) badly outplayed. We've hung with them, but they dictate play more than not. We approach them not unlike we approach LAK and CHI...timid.

Thanks for the response. I've been wondering if I'm on ignore lists on this board. Woe is me and all that :cry:

I honestly prefer our matchups, especially this year now that we have a legitimate top line. At home Hitch can keep the STL line away from Bergeron, and allow Backes' line to do the heavy lifting. We would obviously need the secondary scoring that hasn't happened in the playoffs(or much this season), but if we made it to the SCF our scoring issues would likely be behind us. We would have to beat at least one better team to get there, and I think a playoff series victory over the Kings or the Hawks would unleash a Blues team we've never seen before. A team that truly believes in themselves. If we made it to the SCF, I would have a lot of confidence in our guys. Maybe I'm naive(probably so :laugh: ) but I still believe in our guys and I think we have what it takes to win in the playoffs now. Lehtera-Backes-Stastny-Lapierre is a great group of centers, and that's where games are won. Backes and Stastny(especially Stas) haven't played as well as they're capable, but it's still early. I'm willing to give them some time to adjust.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm more asking why you think they are better than LA?

I'd personally pick LA just because I like their defensive core more, even without Voynov. However in every other category I'd say they are about even.

RR10*

You say this as if I don't watch them play. I have Gamecenter and watch hockey nearly every night :laugh: I've seen plenty of Bruins games. They are a great team(and they have in my opinion the best goalie in the world) but I think the Blues would beat them. Chara is not the Chara of old(he was badly exposed in the playoffs last year), our transition game is faster, our top line is better, and we have similar depth. It wouldn't be easy, but I think we would take it.
I don't know what the hell you have been watching. Chara is still better than any Blues defenseman. Their D is better and do less stupid junior-mistakes like our defensemen tend to. I would say Boston have one of the league's fastest and best transition game and that the Blues dito is quite poor.

RR10*

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm more asking why you think they are better than LA?

I'd personally pick LA just because I like their defensive core more, even without Voynov. However in every other category I'd say they are about even.
It's close but I'd still pick Boston to win a playoff series. They have a better team chemistry (passing, creativity, transition game etc). Take the game the other night in LA, which LA won, but I felt Boston played as good and created more than enough to win. And this was without Chara and Krejci. I can't see LA going to Boston and play as good on the road and create as much. I just feel Boston is slightly better by watching the teams go head to head, but it's close. If you asked me the same question when they still had Seguin and Horton I would clearly say Boston.

Sure LA have found success in the playoffs but let's not forget they've been extremely lucky. 0-3 down against San Jose last year and they were lucky to turn it around. They also got outplayed by Chicago but managed to win somehow.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I don't know what the hell you have been watching. Chara is still better than any Blues defenseman. Their D is better and do less stupid junior-mistakes like our defensemen tend to. I would say Boston have one of the league's fastest and best transition game and that the Blues dito is quite poor.

This year, especially, Boston's defense has been pitiful. I honestly don't understand how you watch them and do not notice this.

Giving up 2.59 goals/game (about a half a goal more than the our terrible Blues/game) and they don't make "junior-mistakes"? Doesn't make sense.

The Bruins had their best month of the season when Chara was injured. While he's still one of the better defensemen in the league, he's easily lost a few steps.

The Bruins are becoming a one-dimensional team and are in decline. Krecji being out does not account for their severe dip in scoring, nor does the lack of scoring support your notion of the "best transition game".

I will admit, I have only seen 5 Bruins games this year. But between blowouts to teams like Toronto and consistently giving up 3 or more goals a game, I just don't see much to back up your claims other than your own opinion. Stats and their games paint different pictures than you do.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
This year, especially, Boston's defense has been pitiful. I honestly don't understand how you watch them and do not notice this.

Giving up 2.59 goals/game (about a half a goal more than the our terrible Blues/game) and they don't make "junior-mistakes"? Doesn't make sense.

The Bruins had their best month of the season when Chara was injured. While he's still one of the better defensemen in the league, he's easily lost a few steps.

The Bruins are becoming a one-dimensional team and are in decline. Krecji being out does not account for their severe dip in scoring, nor does the lack of scoring support your notion of the "best transition game".

I will admit, I have only seen 5 Bruins games this year. But between blowouts to teams like Toronto and consistently giving up 3 or more goals a game, I just don't see much to back up your claims other than your own opinion. Stats and their games paint different pictures than you do.

With Rask in goal, no less. But yeah sure of course our D is miles worse

RR10*

A healthy Boston is still the best team in the east. They have underperformed so far and will eventually pick it up. Only a week ago they were in the same position as LA and Chicago in the standings. They've also been missing their #1 d-man and #1 center.

Boston lost to the pacific teams this week but it could have easily gone the other way. They outplayed Anaheim, they were slightly better than LA and they played really good against San Jose before those unfortunate bounces. I want to see the Blues outplay Anaheim, LA on the road. It could be good for a change. Boston and Chicago are the only NHL teams that can outplay Anaheim and LA on consecutive games on the road.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
A healthy Boston is still the best team in the east. They have underperformed so far and will eventually pick it up. Only a week ago they were in the same position as LA and Chicago in the standings. They've also been missing their #1 d-man and #1 center.

Boston lost to the pacific teams this week but it could have easily gone the other way. They outplayed Anaheim, they were slightly better than LA and they played really good against San Jose before those unfortunate bounces. I want to see the Blues outplay Anaheim, LA on the road. It could be good for a change. Boston and Chicago are the only NHL teams that can outplay Anaheim and LA on consecutive games on the road.

You already have(provided you've watched each Blues game this season).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad