GDT: Blues @ Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
We scored 9 goals on Quick in two games..we should be having a ****ing parade. That is an accomplishment in itself for us.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
When you get into the advanced stats, Lindstrom has a higher Quality of Competition (+/-) number than Reaves, Lapierre and Porter, and is in the same ball park as Ott.

By the way, if anyone's wondering where Paajarvi fits in on those advances stats... he has the second highest Quality of Competition, while having the the 5th lowest Quality of Teammates.

So the Advanced Stats imply that Paajarvi's faced some of the best players against, while having some of the worst players on his line.

You know, if you like advanced stats.
I do like advanced stats but I don't understand them half the time lol.

In this case I feel they are misleading. Lindstom scored a backdoor tick tack toe goal against Calgary in the first minute of the game, 2 PP goals against Buffalo and 3 assists against the Islanders. Now while Calgary and NYI aren't exactly chopped liver, The Blues handled fairly easily. lindsrom played with Stastny and Berglund so of course he will be on the ice against good opponents, but he was neutralized rather easily.

As for Pääjärvi....he constantly finds himself demoted to the 4th line and out of the line up. These guys aren't really liabilities, but they aren't offensive dynamos either. I would agree they are more skilled, it just doesn't transfer well to Blued hockey

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Advanced stats are a nice evaluative tool, but they be taken in context. Yes Paajarvi and Lindstrom have some nice advanced stats, but they are also being spoon fed easy minutes. They should have good advanced numbers because they aren't facing top competition.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Elliott played fantastically against LA in 2013, recording just shy of a 92% save percentage and 1.90 GAA. The point is, it wasn't nearly enough to beat the Kings that series. So Even if Elliott plays out of his mind again at that level, we weren't good enough.

Elliott didn't lose that series. Not even close. He played extremely well. Well enough in fact to win that series. We lost because our forwards couldn't put the puck in the net. It'd as simple as that.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Loved Jaskin's game last night. Get this kid out on the PP instead of Ott! He could have had 3 goals last night. I'm happy to see him score in his first game up. Hopefully it gets his confidence up and he can build on it in San Jose on Sat.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Yep, GDT are becoming unreadable

I'll add to the chorus of finding the forum a lot less appealing when any bump in the road evokes an emotional meltdown. Even at that, its not like the Asylum until the debates devolve into "neener neener" and weakly obscured profanity.

I really enjoyed the pair of games. I'm sure fans of both teams had up and down moments. Both teams showed gutty comeback wins. The Kings happen to be on a skid, so the game in St Louis and the chance to come home represented their very best focused effort. I thought St Louis handled it well for the most part, better than in years past. I also thought that Schwartz being out of the line-up would be a big factor....I think its going to suck some juice out of the attack for a while.

The Blues miss Elliott. Allen is on schedule and has some nice starts, but uneven play at times. The Brodeur story has been invigorating and enjoyable. I'm really rooting for him. And he makes some great saves....but he also makes some routine saves look more exciting than they need to be. He's probably as good as the Blues could hope for in an emergency waiver back-up. But he's not playing at Elliott's level. I'm not calling for the team to jettison him or anything. I'm just noting that I think the team is going to suffer a bit until Elliott is back in place and in form, and last night was one of those nights.

I really like Lindbohm, especially for his physical play. He looks like he's been to the Jackman school of defense, and I think his emergence is going to make Jackman's next contract wind up making more sense with a different team. Butler took some flack in camp, and without televised games I can't really speak to the accuracy, but he's been reliable and steady in his limited time, a pleasant surprise. I'd like to keep him as the 7th man next year if this is what that looks like.

I love moments like when Lehtera scored when the defense and goalie are all focused on Tarasenko and he flips the puck to a secondary scoring threat. I think that may be the recipe to get Ott a goal some day. :) But Tarasenko deserves a lot of credit for those types of goals. He scares opponents, plain as day, and its so fun to see a Blues player have that effect.

Some fans need to have a bit more patience with roster moves. It doesn't make sense to rip apart the team to do a trade right now. But at the deadline you can be certain Armstrong will make one or two trades to improve the offense for the playoffs. And its also smart for him to keep some flexibility for potential serious injuries (season ending) before he commits his chips. The goal for the Blues this season should be to finish 1st or 2nd to Chicago in the division. Just so that they're not the 1st round match-up. Ideally, Chicago and LAK can play each other in the first round.

But despite all the injuries and illnesses. Despite having our #1 goalie go down, and rarely having a healthy roster, the Blues are winning plenty of points and positioned right about where they need to be. I think almost unanimously we feel we haven't seen their best hockey yet. So....to me that's something to be pleased about. I know they have a higher post-season gear. We catch glimpses of it for a few sustained shifts, but I don't really think we're seeing the top-end effort that the playoffs will bring. I'm baffled why that situation is so intolerable to some posters, as I see it as a positive. If you can't enjoy a team that is a solid contender when there are fanbases having to endure stuff like Edmonton, Carolina, Winnipeg's injuries on D, Columbus' decimated team, etc. Those fans have something to complain about. But I don't see what justifies the kind of whining we're seeing around here so much lately.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Hear hear!!!!

My only lingering concern is Pietrangelo, but we are stuck with him so why bother....either he figures it out or he doesnt

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Fantastic first, after that not so much is all I have to say about game 32nd meltdown. That's 11 straight losses including playoffs for the Blues in Staples Center.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You would really think the entire league would know better then to think the kings are ever out of it.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Blues (TOI):

Code:
Steen (21:54) - Backes (20:37) - Oshie 17:43)
Ott (15:42) - Lehterä (16:52) - Tarasenko (17:51)
Berglund (15:06) - Stastny (15:57) - Jaskin (11:24)
Porter (7:14) - Lapierre (8:58) - Reaves (6:28)

Bouwmeester (25:59) - Pietrangelo (26:21)
Butler (18:11) - Shattenkirk (21:33)
Jackman (13:39) - Lindbohm (10:50)

Brodeur 83.9% (57:40)

Kings (TOI):

Code:
Brown (15:47) - Kopitar (19:14) - Carter (19:16)
Gaborik (17:13) - Stoll (16:51) - Williams (15:00)
King (14:11) - Richards (12:59) - Pearson (10:38)
Clifford (10:47) - Lewis (13:03) - Toffoli (8:29)

Muzzin (25:29) - Doughty (34:21)
Regehr (6:27) - Martinez (22:59)
McNabb (13:49) - Greene (16:55)

Quick 85.7% (59:57)

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Haven't posted in a while, but thought i'd chime in after tonight.

I don't think enough was made about the loss of Polak on our defense.
With Soby and Cracknell gone as well, our grit is basically gone.
Last I looked we were in the bottom 5 in the league for hits, and games like tonight show what can happen when a team gets super physical against us.
Our 3-0 lead was misleading. 2 of those were tip ins, but aside from that it really looked like LA was winning more of the battles.
Loved Backes/Ott/Jaskin/Berglund tonight, but it really felt like the other forwards especially Oshie and Taraseko were playing scared hockey.

I am really hoping this game sends a message to management, that the team needs a big young hungry forward to play on the wing.
I also REALLY think we need to get another Polak styled dman. Look at the cavemen that other teams are using, sure we have a ton of puck moving dmen, but they are not doing near enough to punish opposing forwards who either make their way to front of the net, or enter the zone.

I proposed trading Pietrangelo a couple weeks ago, nothing has changed in my mind. For what teams would offer us, i'd make a trade in a heartbeat if it got us back a power forward and a caveman.

I am in complete disagreement and last night was a game that showed how far much further skill can get you with the right combination of players. The Kings were running around in the first period, hitting everything that moved and it nearly cost them the game right out of the gate. If you can stand the physicality and move the puck efficiently, like last night illustrated, you'll exploit opposing players who take themselves out of position to hit everything.

I don't agree with your assessment of our lead early. We dictated play easily. We had them on their heels, and they were turning the puck over against our forecheck which, when implemented consistently, is helping us win games. Tip ins are goals, so I don't know what that means. We have about two players who could beat Quick with a wrist shot from distance, so like every other goalie in the league, you have to take his vision away. They did that well.

You're assessing a game that featured Lindbohm and Butler in our D corp. Now they have both been solid, and Butler in particular has been downright impressive based on what I've seen from him on other teams, but we're missing Gunnar. Gunnar is simply a more effective defender than Polak. He can get you out of trouble. I'd like to see some more physicality and oddly enough, Petro has stepped it up a bit over the last several games and has been observably better for it.

The problem is turnovers at our blue line. We've simply had too many of them. Too many odd man rushes to defend, too many pucks that have squirted out of the offensive zone after a Dman pinched low and its costing us. Bouwmeester in particular is playing mediocre hockey at the moment, but it's on the forwards too. They should come back deep and provide puck support and move it north when they handle it on our side of the red line. Too many dive backs and pins only to lose it against the opposition forecheckers.

Trading Petro is pretty asinine, no? You couldn't attempt to bring back the pieces to fill the hole his absence creates. So you're idea is to add a power forward (who?) and a caveman that probably would shelter.....? Bouwmeester? Shatty? You'd never get adequate value for Pietro unless you're getting back a #1 PMD who is slightly more physical. I'm curious who you even had in mind?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Publicity stunt cost us the game. Shocking.

If your argument is that Binnington should have started instead, I disagree with you strongly. Its not a publicity stunt if Brodeur is one of the most reasonable options that was out there. Bryzgalov was a possibility, but he's openly admitted that he didn't keep in shape or skate.

I agree Brodeur wasn't good enough, but I don't think the Blues passed up some obviously better option. And hopefully, Elliott should be back soon.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
The unforced turnovers continue to do damage. Oshie had a terrible one that led to one goal and Bouwmeester the same - although I guess his stick broke on the pass he tried to make.

Really have to get more mentally tough. This team is almost there. They will keep being pounded by Hitch until they get it right.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
If your argument is that Binnington should have started instead, I disagree with you strongly. Its not a publicity stunt if Brodeur is one of the most reasonable options that was out there. Bryzgalov was a possibility, but he's openly admitted that he didn't keep in shape or skate.

I agree Brodeur wasn't good enough, but I don't think the Blues passed up some obviously better option. And hopefully, Elliott should be back soon.

Allen should have started. Marty Brodeur has no business playing hockey anymore.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I am in complete disagreement and last night was a game that showed how far much further skill can get you with the right combination of players. The Kings were running around in the first period, hitting everything that moved and it nearly cost them the game right out of the gate. If you can stand the physicality and move the puck efficiently, like last night illustrated, you'll exploit opposing players who take themselves out of position to hit everything.

I don't agree with your assessment of our lead early. We dictated play easily. We had them on their heels, and they were turning the puck over against our forecheck which, when implemented consistently, is helping us win games. Tip ins are goals, so I don't know what that means. We have about two players who could beat Quick with a wrist shot from distance, so like every other goalie in the league, you have to take his vision away. They did that well.

You're assessing a game that featured Lindbohm and Butler in our D corp. Now they have both been solid, and Butler in particular has been downright impressive based on what I've seen from him on other teams, but we're missing Gunnar. Gunnar is simply a more effective defender than Polak. He can get you out of trouble. I'd like to see some more physicality and oddly enough, Petro has stepped it up a bit over the last several games and has been observably better for it.

The problem is turnovers at our blue line. We've simply had too many of them. Too many odd man rushes to defend, too many pucks that have squirted out of the offensive zone after a Dman pinched low and its costing us. Bouwmeester in particular is playing mediocre hockey at the moment, but it's on the forwards too. They should come back deep and provide puck support and move it north when they handle it on our side of the red line. Too many dive backs and pins only to lose it against the opposition forecheckers.

Trading Petro is pretty asinine, no? You couldn't attempt to bring back the pieces to fill the hole his absence creates. So you're idea is to add a power forward (who?) and a caveman that probably would shelter.....? Bouwmeester? Shatty? You'd never get adequate value for Pietro unless you're getting back a #1 PMD who is slightly more physical. I'm curious who you even had in mind?

I agree with this.

The STL line is guilty of some of this. Lehtera had a drop pass at center ice that led to an easy zone entry and dangerous chance.

Oshie's drop pass inside the Blues offensive zone (to no one) led directly to a goal last night. In the past Hitchcock is pretty severe about that kind of play, and you'd here about it. He seems to have mellowed, and prefers to let the team leaders police those kinds of mental errors. But I feel like they've drifted too far from smart play at a time when they have a lead in the game. You need to be willing to trade occasional plays like that if you want goals like Lehtera's drop pass goal (the game of his hat trick) where Vlad dropped it to him in the slot. But up 3-0 is not the time you need to make a play like that.

These are mental lapses and pretty easy to change. The flow of play at even strength is generally pretty strong, though, and that's very promising.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Allen should have started. Marty Brodeur has no business playing hockey anymore.

It would be unwise to sacrifice Allen by overplaying him. He's getting the majority of the starts. This was, what, Brodeur's 3rd? I disagree with the plan of taking your future starter when he is a rookie and dumping everything on him with no breaks. It was only a couple games ago that Allen was looking a little shaky, too.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
we played a hell of a series against LA and Anaheim both this year. Lit Quick up, shut out both Anaheim and LA, and are even against both teams. As opposed to last year, that is a significant improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad