Connor-Scheifle-Appleton
Perfetti-PLD-Wheeler
Barron-Lowry-Gagner
Jonsson-Fjallby-Gustaffson-Maenalanen

Morrissey-Pionk
Dillon-Schmidt
Stanley-DeMelo

Hellebuyck

I'll try to update this thread later when there's more clarity on the lineup. Nice to have a regular flow of games again!

st-louis-blues-jordan-kyrou.gif

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Jets are the only team in our division that I actually kinda like. (I don’t dislike the Coyotes either, I just feel sorry for them.)

Games against the Jets are usually very competitive and tight-checking, so looking forward to a good one tonight.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Very happy with things overall but really wish they'd try to mix up the forward lines. Saad-ROR-Kyrou is just not working. Maybe move Kyrou down and put Buchnevich on that line?

ROR has 0 points. Saad has 0 points. Kyrou has 1. Even 3 games in that's concerning. Maybe don't put one of the fastest guys in all of hockey with 2 slower puck control/possession type of players? I trust Berube but I don't even notice that line is out there.

The Jets are the only team in our division that I actually kinda like. (I don’t dislike the Coyotes either, I just feel sorry for them.)

Games against the Jets are usually very competitive and tight-checking, so looking forward to a good one tonight.

They used to be an incredibly dirty team, but most, if not all, of those guys are gone. I don't mind the Jets either.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Very happy with things overall but really wish they'd try to mix up the forward lines. Saad-ROR-Kyrou is just not working. Maybe move Kyrou down and put Buchnevich on that line?

ROR has 0 points. Saad has 0 points. Kyrou has 1. Even 3 games in that's concerning. Maybe don't put one of the fastest guys in all of hockey with 2 slower puck control/possession type of players? I trust Berube but I don't even notice that line is out there.

They used to be an incredibly dirty team, but most, if not all, of those guys are gone. I don't mind the Jets either.
Disagree strongly. ROR line looked good against oil. Kyrou had multiple great chances. Patience.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
For the past 124 games, regular season AND playoffs, opponents have needed to score at least twice in regulation to beat the Blues, and if they failed to do so, the Blues have won the game.

Let's make that 125

Edit: Blues have scored 2+ goals in regulation 40 out of their last 41 games. Exception was Game 3 against Minnesota (lost 5-1).

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
For the past 124 games, regular season AND playoffs, opponents have needed to score at least twice in regulation to beat the Blues, and if they failed to do so, the Blues have won the game.

Let's make that 125

Edit: Blues have scored 2+ goals in regulation 39 out of their last 41 games. Exceptions were Saturday in Edmonton (won 1-0) and Game 3 against Minnesota (lost 5-1).
Do empty net goals not count? I’d like to count Faulk’s 200 foot beauty from Saturday. 😁

Disagree strongly. ROR line looked good against oil. Kyrou had multiple great chances. Patience.
I also disagree. That line looked pretty bad in the first 2 games but where super dangerous against Edmonton. Just didn’t convert. Give them more time and see if they can gel.

And can’t put Buchnevich on that line unless he actually plays!

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
They are coming off a game where they just completely shut down the best player in hockey.

As a trio they have started just 36% of the time in the offensive zone and they have been matched up against the opponent's top line every game. They have an xGF% of 61%. They've generated 8 high danger chances and allowed just 3. Scoring chances in general are 21-15 in their favor.

They aren't finishing, but 3 games is an extremely small sample size and it is the first time Kyrou has ever been asked to play any type of defensive role. I'm not totally sold that this line should stay together all year. No matter how good the underlying numbers are, they have to produce eventually. But I have zero concern about a 3 game sample.

Here are all the 3 game samples where Kyrou only had 1 point (or fewer) last year: 10/25-10/30, 10/30-11/4, 11/3-11/7, 11/18-11/22, 11/30-12/4, 1/24-1/29, 1/27-2/10, 2/10-2/15, 2/12-2/17, 2/15-2/19, 3/24-3/28, 3/26-4/4, 3/28-4/6, 4/12-4/16, and 4/19-4/23. That's 15 times. There is a decent amount of overlap there where he'd go 5 or 6 games with just a point or two. But you're still talking about 8+ distinct 'slumps' of at least 3 games.

A 3 game window of non-production for a line isn't concerning. They need to start burying chances sooner than later, but the failure to do it in just 3 games isn't concerning to me. Kyrou is a somewhat streaky player, as are most guys who rely on speed and skill. He played right at a point per game pace last year and had 19 multi-point games. 6 of those were 3+ point nights. The flip side of that coin is that means you get a couple dozen 0 point nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Kyrou probably has 3 or 4 goals by now if he buried the multitude of chances he's had thus far. I have no doubt that line will get it going, no real concerns after only 3 games.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Greiss gets the start tonight. Looks like Brown will play. No Buchnevich or Saad in the morning skate.

Reactions: mk80

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Three games in, two 20-goal scorers down.

That third line looks bad to me, but we shall see. Fourth line has underwhelmed by the eye test. (The third line will now get 2 goals).

Agree with Greiss getting the start tonight despite the shutout. Binnington can try to keep the Edmonton shutout going Wednesday.

Winnipeg has had to run the gamut against strong teams to start their season.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I expected Binner to go tonight, but I'm very happy about getting Greiss in there instead. Looking ahead, the schedule allows us to manage Binner's workload very well if we are comfortable playing Greiss against teams like Winnipeg.

Assuming they split the B2B, that will put the starts at 4-2 over the first 6 games. The next 6 are Montreal, LA, NYI, Boston, Philly, and San Jose. Philly/Boston are a B2B, so you should be able to comfortably get Greiss into 2 of those 6 games. Let's say Philly and LA.

The next 6 are Vegas, Colorado, Chicago, Washington, Anaheim, and Anaheim. You can give Greiss Chicago and one of those Anaheim games and suddenly you've split the first 18 games 12-6 by playing Greiss against Winnipeg, LA, Anaheim and splitting the 3 B2Bs as you see fit. That leaves us with 4 games in 6 nights to close out November, with one of the two off days being Thanksgiving. Split those 2 and 2 and you've got a 14-8 goalie split that should leave Binner well rested entering December.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Three games in, two 20-goal scorers down.

That third line looks bad to me, but we shall see. Fourth line has underwhelmed by the eye test. (The third line will now get 2 goals).

Agree with Greiss getting the start tonight despite the shutout. Binnington can try to keep the Edmonton shutout going Wednesday.

Winnipeg has had to run the gamut against strong teams to start their season.
We're definitely opting to load up the top 2 lines rather than spreading the remaining talent over 3 lines. I'd wager that the 3rd line has been told that their primary responsibility to try and cycle the puck to maintain possession and that the 4th line will be asked to just forecheck and create chaos. Play as much of your minutes in their zone as possible even if you aren't actually generating anything.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We're definitely opting to load up the top 2 lines rather than spreading the remaining talent over 3 lines. I'd wager that the 3rd line has been told that their primary responsibility to try and cycle the puck to maintain possession and that the 4th line will be asked to just forecheck and create chaos. Play as much of your minutes in their zone as possible even if you aren't actually generating anything.
That 3rd line would look much better doing that with Pitlick, IMO.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I'm VERY encouraged by Berube going with Greiss tonight, that to me potentially signals that the team realizes it can't load Binner up with games even this early in the season and wants to make it a priority to manage his schedule in a way that has him in good health headed into the PO's. Good stuff.

Great to see Brown back in, heck of a camp for him and perfect timing with Buch out and Saad either game time decision or out as well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
These are the games where Thomas and Kyrou have to earn their extensions. Most nights we'll have 3 lines to rely on, but there were be plenty of games like this, where the top 2 lines have to carry the more traditional load of a top 6. I don't see it being an issue, just an example of how the pressure on them ramps up.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Not ideal circumstances but it’s good that Brown appears to be ready to go.

And looking forward to seeing how Greiss with an actual team in front of him.

Hopefully Saad isn’t out long. Did he finish the Edmonton game? I don’t remember a play where he could’ve gotten injured.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Not ideal circumstances but it’s good that Brown appears to be ready to go.

And looking forward to seeing how Greiss with an actual team in front of him.

Hopefully Saad isn’t out long. Did he finish the Edmonton game? I don’t remember a play where he could’ve gotten injured.

It's probably an, "OMFG where did McDavid go?" neck swivel injury. Doctor say he need a neckiotomy.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Excited to see Schenn with RoR and Kyrou thats a line I’ve wanted to see for awhile now. Sucks that Saad is a little dinged up but I’m anxious to see how Brown looks this season after a great camp. Still think Brown has untapped potential he hasn’t reached yet, heard from Jim Thomas that he bulked up a little and worked hard on improving his shot this off season.

Anxious to see how Griess looks out there too.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
No Buch, no Saad, no Binny. Won’t be easy. Need some guys to step up. Looking forward to seeing Brown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad