News Article: Blues GM not interested in acquiring rental players

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Is this a reasonable facsimile of our look in one year? I like these possibilities. This is a fast and talented lineup. Pretty sure this also makes more cap room for additions.

Schwartz--Schenn--Tarasenko
Fabbri--Thomas--Kyrou
Berglund--Stastny--Tage/Kostin
4th line

Forward Extras--Sundqvist, Sanford

Walman also arrives to bolster the D-Corp.

Trade Steen, Bergie, Sobie, or Bo for more Bill Armstrong picks?

Last edited:

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
And this underscores the long view on proposed trades such as a Hoffman trade.

Would we rather have:

1. Kyrou at 900k'ish salary (plus potentially Stas resigned at 5ish million if one is in favor of adding decent but aging talent)?
or
2. Hoffman at his contract for two more years (at the end of which he will be 31 years old)--Kyrou gone in a trade and Stas might be gone b/c we added Hoffman's salary?

In sum, I would prefer to keep the young, cheap talent that we finally have managed to accumulate b/c:
1. it does look to be very good talent
2. it is cheap talent
3. we do not have a first round pick this year
4. potential cheap talent provides more cap flexibility to add the true impact UFA
5. adding a guy like Hoffman isn't going to put us over the top this year and probably will be a neutral to bad move when looking at the next 5 years.
6. we already are one of the older teams in the NHL and have a few contracts that don't appear that they will age well---Steen, Bergie, etc.
7. The older talent sometimes blocks young guys that simply would be a better option if given the chance (Bo--Dunn)
8. we are literally one year away from finding out how a few of our younger guys look in the NHL.

We need to be patient and commit to getting younger and faster. Put another way, trading good young talent for guys on the edge of hitting 30 or extending guys on the edge of hitting 30 BACKFIRES more often than not. Unless the guy who is on the edge of hitting 30 is in the truly elite class, it is usually a band-aid move that mortgages the future for the present. I am a bit sick of DA's repeated mistakes with older players. Let Bill Armstrong do his work.

The thing that makes me think Hoffman might be a good grab is that he's just played 303 games so far in his career. Seems to me he's still got a lot of good hockey ahead of him. Whereas Pacioretty who is like only a year older than Hoffman but he's played twice the games and already has had (5) 30 goal seasons in his career. I'd be more inclined to take Hoffman. Just wanted to point out that Hoffman doesn't have a lot of NHL tread on those tires.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I really expect a deal for Pacioretty for some reason.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Pacioretty-Stastny-Steen
Sobotka-Berglund-Jaskin/Tage
4th line

Would look so much better with Fabbri...but with their defense, that's a Cup-contender. Would really be nice to see Stastny click with somebody and have a dangerous 2nd line...if only for two months (starting April)
I don't necessarily agree with the likelihood, but any deal for Patches is almost certainly going to have Berglund or Sobotka going back the other way. They need a Top 6 center worse than we do, and neither 21 nor 71 gives them that, but their center depth in general is horrible. Add to that the fact that we need to move quite a bit of cap in any deal we make, and your third line would look very different.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I really expect a deal for Pacioretty for some reason.

Pacioretty-Stastny-Steen
Sobotka-Berglund-Jaskin/Tage
4th line

Would look so much better with Fabbri...but with their defense, that's a Cup-contender. Would really be nice to see Stastny click with somebody and have a dangerous 2nd line...if only for two months (starting April)
Some steam in Montreal, from a local media guy, Lavoie, who says Max is moving in the next couple of days......

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Isn't that the same guy who said we offered our entire franchise for Carey Price and it was turned down? I'll believe it when I see it. I still don't think Max is the target.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Isn't that the same guy who said we offered our entire franchise for Carey Price and it was turned down? I'll believe it when I see it. I still don't think Max is the target.

Renaud Lavoie is the one who said Patches' "camp" expects him to be traded soon. He is fairly well connected and is pretty reliable. Jean-Charles Lajoie is the radio guy who brought up the Price "rumor."

Mar 6, 2012
The thing that makes me think Hoffman might be a good grab is that he's just played 303 games so far in his career. Seems to me he's still got a lot of good hockey ahead of him. Whereas Pacioretty who is like only a year older than Hoffman but he's played twice the games and already has had (5) 30 goal seasons in his career. I'd be more inclined to take Hoffman. Just wanted to point out that Hoffman doesn't have a lot of NHL tread on those tires.

But doesn't he have a lot of AHL games on his tires? I really doubt there is that much of a difference.

I really think this team needs another forward, this year... but I don't want to pay a lot for this muffler.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Lavoie was also the guy who said Drouin would be traded within the next 24 hours to the Blues and then it never happened.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Barbashev/Sobotka+Gunnarsson+Blais+2018 2nd for Patches

Whoever between Barbie/Sobie that doesn’t go to MTL, we send to PIT for Rust and I’d assume a draft pick back.

Paccioretty-Stastny-Thompson
Steen-Berglund-Rust
Upshall-Brodziak-Jaskin

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Swap JBo and Dunn when you want Bortuzzo in the lineup.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI

Whoever between Barbie/Sobie that doesn’t go to MTL, we send to PIT for Rust and I’d assume a draft pick back.

Paccioretty-Stastny-Thompson
Steen-Berglund-Rust
Upshall-Brodziak-Jaskin

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Swap JBo and Dunn when you want Bortuzzo in the lineup.

That’s similar to what I proposed and it didn’t get a lot of nice responses, but imo Blais + Barbashev + Gunnarsson + conditional pick for resign is a decent return for a guy who is likely only going to produce for another year and then will price himself into a contract that someone will regret.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
That’s similar to what I proposed and it didn’t get a lot of nice responses, but imo Blais + Barbashev + Gunnarsson + conditional pick for resign is a decent return for a guy who is likely only going to produce for another year and then will price himself into a contract that someone will regret.

Yeah that’s very true. MTL fans are so locked in on Thomas that nothing else will satisfy them. Plus as we know, MB isn’t very good at trading, so it’s likely that’d probably be the actual deal.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Is this a reasonable facsimile of our look in one year? I like these possibilities. This is a fast and talented lineup. Pretty sure this also makes more cap room for additions.

Schwartz--Schenn--Tarasenko
Fabbri--Thomas--Kyrou
Berglund--Stastny--Tage/Kostin
4th line

Forward Extras--Sundqvist, Sanford

Walman also arrives to bolster the D-Corp.

Trade Steen, Bergie, Sobie, or Bo for more Bill Armstrong picks?
Where's Jaskin?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
That trade is brutal for Montreal. I'd just sit and enjoy the trade boards for a couple of hours if that deal went down.

Yeah, the deal was agreed to, just Shatty turned it down.
It's hilarious that the contract he has with the Rangers doesn't even have a full NTC. If they are going into a rebuild, then there is a fair chance they move him in July.

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
That trade is brutal for Montreal. I'd just sit and enjoy the trade boards for a couple of hours if that deal went down.

It's hilarious that the contract he has with the Rangers doesn't even have a full NTC. If they are going into a rebuild, then there is a fair chance they move him in July.

Aren’t all trades brutal for Montreal though? Honestly I’d move that up to a first but either way. It’d be great to see the meltdown that they didn’t get Thomas or Kyrou.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad