News Article: Blues GM not interested in acquiring rental players

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I mean, of all the names that the Blues have been connected with, it really only seems to rule out Kane and Maroon.

Maybe also guys like Nash, Neal, Perron, Grabner, etc. in the unlikely scenario that a current team with playoff aspirations decides to sell off some parts.

Him mentioning that he'd like to make a trade where you get "one or two additional playoffs" worries me slightly...mostly the part about one additional playoffs. At least he said that the Blues wouldn't be involved at the current asking prices, but that does leave a lot of room for speculation as to what an acceptable price would be from his POV.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I mean, of all the names that the Blues have been connected with, it really only seems to rule out Kane and Maroon.

Maybe also guys like Nash, Neal, Perron, Grabner, etc. in the unlikely scenario that a current team with playoff aspirations decides to sell off some parts.

Him mentioning that he'd like to make a trade where you get "one or two additional playoffs" worries me slightly...mostly the part about one additional playoffs. At least he said that the Blues wouldn't be involved at the current asking prices, but that does leave a lot of room for speculation as to what an acceptable price would be from his POV.
Honestly, he seems to be posturing. He has done this in the past. If I recall correctly he said he wasn’t going to trade Halak and then shortly after did just that.

We have also been connected to players with term as you alluded to. So he isn’t really ruling out too much. In the same vein though, he says he wouldn’t rule out a rental for the right price. So, posturing is my gut feeling, even though he probably feels like, generally speaking, rentals are not for us.

Reactions: KirkOut

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Well considering when the CBA is up next, one or two is really everybody’s window right now. Schenn is only here for so much longer, most of our big ELCs are up in two seasons after this one... two years is really what we should be aiming for

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Some subtext here... he appreciates Bouwmeester and Stastny in the same way he appreciated Backes. That may or may not indicate a willingness to walk away from both of them. That isn’t so surprising for JBo, but it’s a big revelation for Stastny’s current situation if that’s what he means. I’d be ok with that. Stas is ok, but he isn’t what we thought we were getting when we first signed him. And he certainly isn’t a $7mil player. I appreciate that Army seems to realize that. If Stas could have done here what he did in Denver, these last few years would have looked sooo much different. Our main problem was that we didn’t have Joe Sakic for him to play with

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I don't get the lust for a trade. A trade is not going to make this team a SC contender this year and very well might risk giving up a great young top 6'er who would be cost-controlled for a long time. The window will open next year if everyone is just a tad patient.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't get the lust for a trade. A trade is not going to make this team a SC contender this year and very well might risk giving up a great young top 6'er who would be cost-controlled for a long time. The window will open next year if everyone is just a tad patient.
It seems there are a couple reasons to want a trade. Either you want to improve perceived holes in the team or simply want to see change because something doesnt seem to be working. I could see making a trade this year for the sake of being better positioned next year. But, making such a move would be contingent on a vision materializing that I find absent right now. Hoffman or some other guy could be a good get, but my questions are where do they fit, what is the cost and how does it impact our cap and the players we fit within it. I also think we should start considering the next expansion draft as a tertiary concern.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

This year’s trade market is so good! There are actually some high quality people available, 50-60 point players. The contract might not be right, their handedness/position might not be right, but it’s a strong trade market imo. Things are complicated a little by the bloating cap next year, but there are still teams, especially the Canadien ones, wanting to make a move. It’s a rare opportunity that you can add an impact forward to your team. The same people preaching patience now are the same people who get upset when Nashville makes moves, or when Chicago got Duclair on the cheap. Not saying they don’t have a point, and I’m not necessarily saying that we need to make a move just to keep up with Nashville, but it’s a good trade market out there right now with some tempting names on it. All things held equal, having another scorer on this team would make the rest of the season a lot more fun to watch imo, but whether or not they’re worth their cost is another question altogether.

I’m general I’m confident in both Armstrongs to make the right call at this point. They know what they’re doing, and whatever ends up happening I’m sure it’ll make sense. I would be kind of shocked if *nothing* happens though, I assume there will be some sort of re-arranging of deck chairs before February 26th

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
So if he's in the market to buy and not sell, what does that mean for Stastny? Is he going to sign him or just let him go after the season? If he lets him go then what's the plan after that? Schenn and Thomas as your top 2 Centers? Does he use that cap space for a James Neal? If we knew Fabbri would come back healthy and happy that would solve some answers but we can't count on that.

If Armstrong doesn't find himself a suitable deal to improve the deal, I wouldn't mind trading Stastny for futures. But again, we really don't know if Armstrong intends to make a pitch for Staz or not.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Honestly, he seems to be posturing. He has done this in the past. If I recall correctly he said he wasn’t going to trade Halak and then shortly after did just that.

We have also been connected to players with term as you alluded to. So he isn’t really ruling out too much. In the same vein though, he says he wouldn’t rule out a rental for the right price. So, posturing is my gut feeling, even though he probably feels like, generally speaking, rentals are not for us.
yeah. in this day and age anything any GM says is just empty words until something happens or doesn't.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
So if he's in the market to buy and not sell, what does that mean for Stastny? Is he going to sign him or just let him go after the season? If he lets him go then what's the plan after that? Schenn and Thomas as your top 2 Centers? Does he use that cap space for a James Neal? If we knew Fabbri would come back healthy and happy that would solve some answers but we can't count on that.

If Armstrong doesn't find himself a suitable deal to improve the deal, I wouldn't mind trading Stastny for futures. But again, we really don't know if Armstrong intends to make a pitch for Staz or not.

And this underscores the long view on proposed trades such as a Hoffman trade.

Would we rather have:

1. Kyrou at 900k'ish salary (plus potentially Stas resigned at 5ish million if one is in favor of adding decent but aging talent)?
or
2. Hoffman at his contract for two more years (at the end of which he will be 31 years old)--Kyrou gone in a trade and Stas might be gone b/c we added Hoffman's salary?

In sum, I would prefer to keep the young, cheap talent that we finally have managed to accumulate b/c:
1. it does look to be very good talent
2. it is cheap talent
3. we do not have a first round pick this year
4. potential cheap talent provides more cap flexibility to add the true impact UFA
5. adding a guy like Hoffman isn't going to put us over the top this year and probably will be a neutral to bad move when looking at the next 5 years.
6. we already are one of the older teams in the NHL and have a few contracts that don't appear that they will age well---Steen, Bergie, etc.
7. The older talent sometimes blocks young guys that simply would be a better option if given the chance (Bo--Dunn)
8. we are literally one year away from finding out how a few of our younger guys look in the NHL.

We need to be patient and commit to getting younger and faster. Put another way, trading good young talent for guys on the edge of hitting 30 or extending guys on the edge of hitting 30 BACKFIRES more often than not. Unless the guy who is on the edge of hitting 30 is in the truly elite class, it is usually a band-aid move that mortgages the future for the present. I am a bit sick of DA's repeated mistakes with older players. Let Bill Armstrong do his work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 67Blues and TruBlu

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
I never read into these very much as it just doesn't mean anything. Very generic answers to generic questions. None of it is true as if the right deal came along I am sure he would take it and if nothing comes along, I would imagine due to his past tendencies, he would let the TDL pass without a deal.

One funny thing is calling us "sellers" last year because we moved Shattenkirk. I got a nice chuckle out of that!!

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I personally hope Armstrong doesn't sacrifice Thomas, Thompson, Kyrou, or Kostin for an upgrade this season. Let's ride it out. @Cranjis McBasketball I'm with you. I don't get JR stating DA will trade for a rental. It just seems like a bad idea right now.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I personally hope Armstrong doesn't sacrifice Thomas, Thompson, Kyrou, or Kostin for an upgrade this season. Let's ride it out. @Cranjis McBasketball I'm with you. I don't get JR stating DA will trade for a rental. It just seems like a bad idea right now.

I don't think DA will trade for a rental; I actually believe him when he says he doesn't want a rental because it would make sense to not get one this year. I just think JR is completely wrong. He didn't back up his statement with a conversation he had with DA or anything. I have no idea why he thinks DA would trade for a rental but I got a nice chuckle when I read it.

This is supposed to be coming from our most informed local writer.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I'm sure DA will try and resign Stastny. I have a feeling DA will let him walk if he asks for anything upwards of 5.5 mil. At least Stastny knows DA isn't bluffing since he let Backes go. The question will be if Stastny is wanting to set up a retirement contract, or take a chance at winning a cup here. Statstny has local ties so I could see him signing a 5.5 mil @ 2 year, and then see if he can move into the organization after. Anyway, I don't see how DA can't at least try to sign him. We have Centers in the pipeline, but no one proven yet. I don't think any of our top prospects get traded. DA seems firm on only making a move if there's a deal in place that benefits both clubs, thus decreasing the overpayment involved. If he can trade some of our depth [Sobotka, Gunnar, prospect (not top 4), and 2nd or 3rd pick] for one of those guys, then he'd do it. The trick will be finding the team that needs what we don't, and won't require a top 6 player, one of our top 4 prospects, or a 1st round pick to get the deal done.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
And this underscores the long view on proposed trades such as a Hoffman trade.

Would we rather have:

1. Kyrou at 900k'ish salary (plus potentially Stas resigned at 5ish million if one is in favor of adding decent but aging talent)?
or
2. Hoffman at his contract for two more years (at the end of which he will be 31 years old)--Kyrou gone in a trade and Stas might be gone b/c we added Hoffman's salary?

In sum, I would prefer to keep the young, cheap talent that we finally have managed to accumulate b/c:
1. it does look to be very good talent
2. it is cheap talent
3. we do not have a first round pick this year
4. potential cheap talent provides more cap flexibility to add the true impact UFA
5. adding a guy like Hoffman isn't going to put us over the top this year and probably will be a neutral to bad move when looking at the next 5 years.
6. we already are one of the older teams in the NHL and have a few contracts that don't appear that they will age well---Steen, Bergie, etc.
7. The older talent sometimes blocks young guys that simply would be a better option if given the chance (Bo--Dunn)
8. we are literally one year away from finding out how a few of our younger guys look in the NHL.

We need to be patient and commit to getting younger and faster. Put another way, trading good young talent for guys on the edge of hitting 30 or extending guys on the edge of hitting 30 BACKFIRES more often than not. Unless the guy who is on the edge of hitting 30 is in the truly elite class, it is usually a band-aid move that mortgages the future for the present. I am a bit sick of DA's repeated mistakes with older players. Let Bill Armstrong do his work.

Can't like this enough.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’m still of the belief that he should try and add a top 6 guy with a little term if a deal presents itself. The only prospect off the table, barring JT somehow being available via trade, is Thomas. I wouldn’t trade multiple of Kyrou/Thompson/Kostin but I don’t think trading one of them is as crippling as everyone else seems to think. I know everyone thinks that you can toss one or two of those 4 into those top 6 scoring roles next year but depending on them for consistent offense is more than likely going to backfire. And that’s not an indictment on them, it’s a huge jump for a rookie to make it to the NHL as is.

I also believe in the amateur scouting department’s ability to find players to keep the pipeline stocked. So it’s not as if these 4 forward prospects are the end all be all. If DA flips someone for a first at the draft I’m sure that prospect will be venerated just like these guys.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I just think at this point, you take the approach the Cardinals take. You go with home grown youth over making the big splash. Young, cost controlled, talent is starting to become the recipe for sustained success in the NHL. I know that Pittsburgh has some aging vets, along with other teams, but look at the Lightning and how successful they are. Stamkos is a big contract, so is Hedman, but they do have some younger, cost controlled talent coming up behind them and it's helping them win. That's the approach the Blues need to take imo. You have your core of Schwartz, Schenn, Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Edmundson, and Allen. You surround them with the younger, cost controlled Thomas, Kyrou, Thompson, Kostin, Fabbri, Walman, and Schmaltz with a smattering of vets liek Steen, Sobotka, etc, and that's more how you build a winner today. I could be wrong, but I don't see a massive upside in the long term of bringing in a current top 6 winger, unless he's on a decent contract for the next 3-4 years and in the same age group as our current core.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i think stas wants to stay in stlouis and he just had his big money contract from the blues

would probably be flexible and take a bit of a discount to stay. at 5 mil or under hes a good player. Pretty much can play in any situation and with any players (not tarasenko). ideal 2C. im a big fan of having him and bergy around because it guarentees a solid middle 6 no matter who surrounds them

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Statsny has it pretty good here. No pressure, hometown boy, friendly media, and realistic expectations. If he signs elsewhere, those might not be there.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
i think stas wants to stay in stlouis and he just had his big money contract from the blues

would probably be flexible and take a bit of a discount to stay. at 5 mil or under hes a good player. Pretty much can play in any situation and with any players (not tarasenko). ideal 2C. im a big fan of having him and bergy around because it guarentees a solid middle 6 no matter who surrounds them

I'm very hopeful that Stas is willing to take a discount on his next deal. I won't be mad if he isn't, because he doesn't owe the team anything. However, he grew up here and had ties to the organization due to his dad. He seems to genuinely like the city and I get the impression that a Cup in St. Louis would mean more to him than a Cup somewhere else. He's also coming off a $28 mil contract that he didn't quite live up to.

All of that could be projection and wishful thinking, but I get the sense that he might take less than his true value (either in term or AAV, probably not both) to stay. Again, I won't be mad if he doesn't but I think Stastny at $5.5 mil for a couple years is better than any other realistic option (barring the Tavares lottery).

The catch-22 is that if he is willing to take a haircut, he might only be willing to do so prior to the Tavares situation being set in stone.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Hockey players have families to support. I don't doubt for a second that he'd be willing to take an overpriced UFA deal with term to go elsewhere, but I agree that he'd rather stay here. Look at Shatty...Looking back, he probably knew in his mind he was going to hold out for the Rangers unless he got a big offer with term here in St. Louis.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I really expect a deal for Pacioretty for some reason.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Pacioretty-Stastny-Steen
Sobotka-Berglund-Jaskin/Tage
4th line

Would look so much better with Fabbri...but with their defense, that's a Cup-contender. Would really be nice to see Stastny click with somebody and have a dangerous 2nd line...if only for two months (starting April)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad