OT: Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part 2023-2024

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Love this film! It’s been years since I’ve watched it but Nicky Katt’s pool hall dialogue still cracks me up. Dobb’s commentary on the dvd is great too.

“My name is Wiiiiilson!”
I'm writing the review today, after which ... only 88 more reviews to go lol

It's also unheard of - unheard of - for me to plan something during a Blues game on purpose but due to the 5-1 and 4-0 losses to the Sharks I am making plans to be somewhere writing this review so that I aggressively miss this game today.

Whenever I see Gordon the bodyguard I think of him fighting Dan Dority - "come scare me in the thoroughfare" in Deadwood

Notice that there is even a moment of disappointment between the fixer mentor Avery and the shitty Nicky Katt character. I enjoy Katt's poolhall banter on its own but to me it is the top execution weakness of the film, it kind of takes you out of the story and puts it on Nicky Katt for a bit, which is not where this film needs to be

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Won gold in the St. Louis regional boccia tournament! What's more, I did it by defeating the number one ranked player in the nation in the open category (I happen to be number two in the nation in that category.), 5-2!

It's only going to get tougher from here, and I need to work on my shots with the blue balls (I'm proficient at red, but I want to become equally good at both.), but I'm on cloud f***ing nine right now.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Won gold in the St. Louis regional boccia tournament! What's more, I did it by defeating the number one ranked player in the nation in the open category (I happen to be number two in the nation in that category.), 5-2!

It's only going to get tougher from here, and I need to work on my shots with the blue balls (I'm proficient at red, but I want to become equally good at both.), but I'm on cloud f***ing nine right now.
Congratulations!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Congrats!!!! Good luck going forward.

BTW, what's the difference between red and blue? In my somewhat limited knowledge, I thought that was just the different players had different balls. Is it like playing white and black in chess? In chess, at a high level there are different strats for going first or 2nd.

• Love
Reactions: Memento

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Congrats!!!! Good luck going forward.

BTW, what's the difference between red and blue? In my somewhat limited knowledge, I thought that was just the different players had different balls. Is it like playing white and black in chess? In chess, at a high level there are different strats for going first or 2nd.

Yeah, red starts off with the jack (the white ball that you get points by getting your colored balls closest to it) first, then one blue ball, and whomever is further away has to throw their six balls until they either get closer or run out, following with the person closer trying to get as many close to it as possible. Then blue gets a turn to do the exact same thing, only opposite. It repeats twice (four ends is a match, unless you're tied, in which case a tiebreaker occurs).

Red always starts off first. You're also in different areas (each area has six taped boxes for the wheelchair to fit. Red is the left-middle, while blue is right-middle.), so that adds a bit of strategy if you're throwing left or right-handed (I'm a righty.)

Each side has its own specific advantages and strategies, but I like to be red because I want to get ahead early in the count. We do a coin flip to decide which color we get, and I won and got to choose red. Apparently, the guy I beat also likes red more than blue.

Conversely, the exhibition match was where I had blue (didn't count for wins or losses, because I had a different style opponent. I'm open, which means that I have no limitations, while my opponent is BC-5, which means some limitation), and he won easily. I still have yet to beat the person I played in the exhibition matchup; he was a Paralympian. Came close, but given that he was using my balls, and misjudged the jack, I was lucky not to get beat worse.

So I need to practice with blue just as much as red, which is what I'm going to do in the practices leading up to the K.C. tournament (where the same guy I beat will be there). I'm 1-1 against this man, counting this win, so he'll be gunning for me.

But the main thing I take away from these tournaments is having fun, not wins or losses. To me, meeting new people, seeing the sights around the country, spending time with friends, making good memories...that's a win in my mind, no matter what I score.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I don't understand why the Cardinals have Grateful Dead night on 4/19 and not 4/20
Seems obvious it should be on 4/20 but the whole reason for doing these theme nights is to bring more people into the ballpark, no need to do that for a Saturday day game as it is going to be jampacked no matter what

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
April 19 is Bicycle Day and is cooler than April 20, though far be it from me here living in a redwood palace in the Emerald Triangle to say 420 isn't cool. Lot of locals have real Jerry Garcia stories too, those guys were part of this community.

Yesterday my best friend and his wife drove up from Oakland for a lovely spring Friday afternoon in Geyserville (40 min south) at the Coppola winery to meet me and my partner. There's of course great wine tasting on beautiful grounds like a lot of the local wineries have, but the Coppola winery of course has a large array of Coppola film memorabilia. There are some interesting items for sale too, I may pop in next time I am driving by to get a $79.99 hardbound book of notes from The Godfather, I perused it and it looked fascinating. Plenty of Apocalypse Now stuff, all his Oscars and Palme D'Ors and awards are off in this one corner case, it's like holy f***ing shit, casual legend. I liked Duvall's surfboard hanging up over one of the wine tasting areas. It was a good board, Lance, and I liked it. Recommended stop.

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
T-minus 3 weeks until I return to the STL. Anything new or exciting to hit in The Loop or CWE? More like restaurants and bars. I'm too bleepin' old for clubbing.

Staying in Clayton and will use Uber/Lyft to get around.

Amazing long weekend in the STL. I even checked off pretty much everything that was on my junk food bucket list...

* White Castle
* Lion's Choice
* Blueberry Hill (with the added surprise of ordering toasted raviolis)
* Pappy's Smokehouse (catered lunch event)
* Gooey Butter Cake
* Courtesy Diner (I didn't think my stomach could handle a slinger after everything above, plus I was going to be on a plane in three hours and wanted to respect my fellow passengers, so I went with the Hangover instead)
* Spent five minutes trying to figure out where M.P. O'Reilly's used to be; all the storefronts are updated and fancy now

Also lucked out with amazingly cool weather. Hope everyone came out unscathed after Thursday's storms. It caused my flight to be 2.5 hours late.

If the Blues had made the playoffs, I would've totally skipped any Saturday events or pushed my Sunday flight to later in the evening. Oh well.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Amazing long weekend in the STL. I even checked off pretty much everything that was on my junk food bucket list...

* White Castle
* Lion's Choice
* Blueberry Hill (with the added surprise of ordering toasted raviolis)
* Pappy's Smokehouse (catered lunch event)
* Gooey Butter Cake
* Courtesy Diner (I didn't think my stomach could handle a slinger after everything above, plus I was going to be on a plane in three hours and wanted to respect my fellow passengers, so I went with the Hangover instead)
* Spent five minutes trying to figure out where M.P. O'Reilly's used to be; all the storefronts are updated and fancy now

Also lucked out with amazingly cool weather. Hope everyone came out unscathed after Thursday's storms. It caused my flight to be 2.5 hours late.

If the Blues had made the playoffs, I would've totally skipped any Saturday events or pushed my Sunday flight to later in the evening. Oh well.
Ted Drewes?

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
You missed out on Crown Candy as well. Absolutely fantastic ice cream, and if you weren't interested in that, they still make a BLT with fourteen slices of bacon, and they make their chocolate candies by hand.

...I really want to go back; it was the best ice cream I've ever had, and I've had them all over the U.S.

Reactions: pseudoswede

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I can take or leave Ted Drewes. I'm not the biggest fan of custard. Give me gooey butter cake for dessert every day and twice on Sunday.

I'd never had butter cake while I was in St. Louis. I hear about it all the time in this forum. So literally just a few days ago, I see buttercake bars in the grocery store bakery section. I had to try them just to see what y'all be talking about. To say it was disappointing is an understatement. These were bad, real bad. I guess I need to try authentic Stl buttercake next time I'm in town for a game but I'm afraid I'll be scared off for life.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'd never had butter cake while I was in St. Louis. I hear about it all the time in this forum. So literally just a few days ago, I see buttercake bars in the grocery store bakery section. I had to try them just to see what y'all be talking about. To say it was disappointing is an understatement. These were bad, real bad. I guess I need to try authentic Stl buttercake next time I'm in town for a game but I'm afraid I'll be scared off for life.
It's definitely not an everybody thing. If you don't like butter and sugar you probably wouldnt be big into it.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I can take or leave Ted Drewes. I'm not the biggest fan of custard. Give me gooey butter cake for dessert every day and twice on Sunday.
Blue Bell ice cream expanded into the STL market, fabulous ice cream, my daughters were all exited as we only ever had it when we were at Table Rock
they added a specialty Gooey Butter Cake ice cream and it is really good

Reactions: pseudoswede

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You missed out on Crown Candy as well. Absolutely fantastic ice cream, and if you weren't interested in that, they still make a BLT with fourteen slices of bacon, and they make their chocolate candies by hand.

...I really want to go back; it was the best ice cream I've ever had, and I've had them all over the U.S.

If you are ever near a Bruster's Ice Cream (22 states, I went in Orlando), definitely give it a try. It's the best ice cream I've had. The birthday cake is their signature flavor and the icing they mix in is amazing. I've never had Crown candy but I'd happily bet on Bruster's against it in a blind taste test.

It's definitely not an everybody thing. If you don't like butter and sugar you probably wouldnt be big into it.

Who doesn't like butter and sugar? I just don't think it was a good version of it. It wasn't sweet at all, so their might not have been much sugar, and definitely no other flavoring. The gooey part was bland and the cake part was bland and had a stale texture.

Reactions: Blueston

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If you are ever near a Bruster's Ice Cream (22 states, I went in Orlando), definitely give it a try. It's the best ice cream I've had. The birthday cake is their signature flavor and the icing they mix in is amazing. I've never had Crown candy but I'd happily bet on Bruster's against it in a blind taste test.
I passed the Bruster’s on Winter Garden-Vineland by Windermere High School at least a dozen times in the last year visiting my daughter and never stopped. Now I’m kicking myself, but I’m hoping to get down there in July or August so I will definitely bookmark it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I passed the Bruster’s on Winter Garden-Vineland by Windermere High School at least a dozen times in the last year visiting my daughter and never stopped. Now I’m kicking myself, but I’m hoping to get down there in July or August so I will definitely bookmark it.

Let me know what you think. I'll have to live vicariously through you. Its one of the things I miss about Florida. If you want another recommendation, that location shouldn't be too far from Celebration. Colombia in Celebration was one of my favorite restaurants when I was there. Spanish/Cuban food. The Paella took a bit to prepare but was delicious, as was the Roja Vieja, Pollo Manchego and a chicken dish in a skillet with Chorizo. Plus great tapas too. Oh man, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Let me know what you think. I'll have to live vicariously through you. Its one of the things I miss about Florida. If you want another recommendation, that location shouldn't be too far from Celebration. Colombia in Celebration was one of my favorite restaurants when I was there. Spanish/Cuban food. The Paella took a bit to prepare but was delicious, as was the Roja Vieja, Pollo Manchego and a chicken dish in a skillet with Chorizo. Plus great tapas too. Oh man, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Doesn’t sound like my thing because I’m not big on Mexican/Cuban food. When we go out it’s usually to a brewery and we take our chances on the food. Unless it’s Crooked Can in Winter Garden because you can’t really go wrong with the 10-12 food choices there.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Was there a Protzel's in Overland in the 70s and 80s? There was a tremendous Jewish deli with Gooey Butter Cake we used to get.

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado

Good call on Crown Candy. I had no plans on making it east of CWE during this trip, plus its location is too far away by foot from Enterprise Center or Busch Stadium (pretty much the only two reasons why I'd go to downtown).

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Thank you for the suggestion. Majority. Will definitely try it the next time I go out of town. But I'd definitely put Crown Candy's milkshakes up against anyone I've been to so far. They're rich as hell, and there aren't a ton of flavors (they do milkshakes and malts, but also have a huge eating contest), but creamy, especially sweet, and very delicious.

Good call on Crown Candy. I had no plans on making it east of CWE during this trip, plus its location is too far away by foot from Enterprise Center or Busch Stadium (pretty much the only two reasons why I'd go to downtown).

Ah, that's a good reason. At least you got to go to Pappy's, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad